The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 13, 2011, 04:49 PM   #1
colostomyclown

what is the proper sight picture for ghost ring sights?

on an AR, proper sight alignment should put the target directly on top of the front post. Is it the same w/ Ghost Rings? I'm planning on taking my 590's to the range and patterning some rifled slugs at 50 yards, but I need to know how I should be aiming with these.

Also, if I adjust these sights, what will it do to my buckshot patterns? I want to hit point of aim with buck from 0-25 and POA with slugs at 25-75ish tops....
Old July 13, 2011, 05:13 PM   #2
zippy13

IINM, there is no "proper" sight picture. What's your choice, 6 o'clock hold or center mass? A lot will depend on your prior experience, and what seems natural to you. Where a pistol shooter may shift sight picture with a quick range change, I don't think is so cut and dry with shotguns. May I suggest you use a target/patterning board and set you sights according to your preference and anticipated range.
Old July 13, 2011, 05:30 PM   #3
colostomyclown

im open to any and all suggestions. its too bad ammo's so expensive, i could just wing it and find out on my own. ive pretty much been shooting bead sight shotguns and been point shooting with pistols for the past 5-8 years...my rifle and ghost ring skills are so rusty and slow. I'll have to experiment to even see what I like. Anyone with an opinion should feel free to chime in with this....

50-60 cents a shot for Winchester slugs is an expensive way to practice, that's for sure....
Old July 14, 2011, 12:15 AM   #4
bamaranger

sight picture v. sight placement (on target)

The use of a "ghost ring" whether on a rifle or shotgun involves the same technique and application.

The aperture is looked "through", the focus of the eye goes to the front post,and the "target" is allowed to blur.

On long gun with aperture/ghost rings, intended for field use as a hunter or SD , I zero the weapon to have the projectile to land "on top of the post". For a smooth bore slug gun, w/ traditional slugs, 50-75 yds seems about right for "on".

The "6-o'clock hold is largely a target bullseye technique for the most part. Holding off on game is very awkward and unnatural for me.
Old July 14, 2011, 09:51 AM   #5
SteelChickenShooter

Let us know exactly how accurate your gun is with slugs. Mine was no good at all and I replaced it with a different brand and more suitable model. I was never able to adjust the rear sight far enough over to bring the hits on center left & right, but elevation was good. My experience is in agreement with some negative comments regarding the sights on that gun. A popular magazine did a comparison test and essentially found the sights pointless. I was seeing that myself during my own shooting.
Old July 14, 2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Gehrhard

Steel;
Is that article available on line that u could cite?

I too ordered a beaded barrel after one day out with the ghost ring sights. Did OK actually, all things considered, but shouldn't have. Not with Open Cylinder and 7-1/2 shot at clay things eventually out at 36 yards and the picture I was able to get and keep...
Old July 15, 2011, 11:53 PM   #7
colostomyclown

i was adamantly a bead guy, but after shooting ar-15s for awhile, im an apeture guy but i still love the bead. i now feel the ghost rings are faster and theoretically should be more precise by nature but we'll see. gonna buy a bunch of cheap slugs and see how they print from a rest at 50. i figure if im shooting nobel slugs and get minute of man groups it's only going to only be even better with win/rem/fiocchi and way better with the federal truball...
Old July 16, 2011, 08:21 AM   #8
oneounceload

Different ammo can/will give different results, including different POI in relation to POA

You need to spend the few dollars to see how the ammo you plan to actually use performs in your gun
Old July 16, 2011, 09:57 PM   #9
bamaranger

beads

Beads are fine for shot and slugs up to.....say 40 yds or so. But they are subject to error at any distance past that, and require a consistent and repeatable mount and cheek weld, not always possible in the field.

A ghost ring should give you useable groups to near 100 yds.