The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 10, 2011, 08:46 PM   #1
catzor

Thoughts on a Smith and Wesson 31?

I'm in the market for a .32 SW long and I love little guns with +/- 3" barrels. The model 31 is the obvious choice. What do you guys who own one think about them? What should I expect to pay for a good, tight one with 90+% finish?
Old July 10, 2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

I was fortunate to pick one up cheap a few years back. It basically feels and shoots like a miniature Model 10.

There's some kind of bubble going on with the used S&W market, and the few I've seen are fetching around $450 or so in good shape.
Old July 10, 2011, 09:49 PM   #3
ThomasT

I have a 3" model 30-1 and a 4" model 31-1 and like them both a great deal. I love to shoot 32s. Its my favorite round. The 32 H&R mag is also a blast. I have two Ruger singles with adjustable sights and an S&W 431PD snubby. I am always on the hunt for a new 32.

I also bought a Marlin 32 mag 1894 when they were available. I paid $600 for it and have been offered $850 for it.

I guess you get that I like 32s. The model 31 came from my dad so didn't cost me anything but the model 30 cost me $400 about 3 years ago. It also came with a set of Mustang grips that I think are worth around $50 but don't quote me on that. It was worth every cent I spent too.

If you get a 32 plan on reloading. This is a fun round to experiment with and has a lot of potential.
Old July 11, 2011, 02:33 PM   #4
ThomasT

Here is the new model 30 I just won off GB. Its a little skinned up but fine for what I want it for.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=239751345

It will cost me another $20 on my end when it gets here. But $335 total is not too bad for a new pocket rocket.
Old July 11, 2011, 08:48 PM   #5
eastbank

i bought this four inch s&w 31 at a public sale for my wife, she likes it better than my s&w 60 in 38 spl. it has had a s&w adjustable rear sight and micro front sight installed on it in the past. and it is a real tack driver at 20 yrds. eastbank.

Last edited by eastbank; January 24, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old July 12, 2011, 07:29 PM   #6
ThomasT

Eastbank I like your gun. I read an article in Guns & Ammo many years ago written by Terry Murbach and he had an adjustable rear sight added to his J-frame along with a taller front sight. I have wanted a gun like that ever since but simply cannot find a GS willing to do the work. I even talked to the big guy Hamilton Bowen and he wouldn't do the work.

The rear site won't be a problem but I want the front site in a milled groove and pinned. I worked all my young life in my dads machine shop and if he still had it I would do the work myself. There is nothing hard about the upgrade. Heck I might even buy several model 31s and make the change just to sell a few.

I have a S&W 431PD with the lightweight frame and I sure wish it would occur to S&W to make this same gun with a 3 or 4 inch barrel with adjustable sights in 32 long or better the 32 mag. I don't think it will ever happen though. It doesn't seem like anyone but a few old die hards want a nice field or trail gun anymore. Everyone just wants a handgun to shoot someone else. I think folks worry too much about BG attacks.
Old July 13, 2011, 05:59 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratshooter
Here is the new model 30 I just won off GB. Its a little skinned up but fine for what I want it for.
I bet that cleans up nice. Good score.
Old July 13, 2011, 11:04 AM   #8
carguychris

Quote:
I have a S&W 431PD with the lightweight frame and I sure wish it would occur to S&W to make this same gun with a 3 or 4 inch barrel with adjustable sights in 32 long or better the 32 mag. I don't think it will ever happen though.
They did, at least in all-steel form; IIRC about 8-10 years ago, they made a run of 4" Model 631s with adjustable sights.

Problem is, S&W only made something like 400 of them, so they're somewhat of a Grail Gun to collectors of modern J frames and are usually priced accordingly.
Old July 13, 2011, 03:09 PM   #9
ThomasT

Carguy I know all about the 631. The last one I found for sale was on auction arms about a month ago. The seller was asking $900 for a starting price. I can afford it I just can't justify it. I will have to be content with my two ruger single sixes with adjustable sights that I only have $850 in for the pair.

I do like the idea of a lighter adjustable sighted 32 with a 4" barrel. I just really like trail guns. I guess nobody goes trail hiking anymore or wants a small, accurate little gun for small game hunting.
Old July 20, 2011, 08:52 PM   #10
vytoland

catzor...................

has your hunt for a .32 long rifle revolver been succesful??
Old July 21, 2011, 07:03 AM   #11
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratshooter
I do like the idea of a lighter adjustable sighted 32 with a 4" barrel. I just really like trail guns. I guess nobody goes trail hiking anymore or wants a small, accurate little gun for small game hunting.
A few years back thes .32 and .38S&W revolvers were dirt cheap but the word must have got out. They are getting to be spendy.

Great light weight carry.

Model 32