The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 5, 2011, 04:09 PM   #1
Drummer101

Still dreaming

I have been thinking that it might be a good time to look for another firearm.

This was brought on by the people in my apt. hearing banging on the door at 2am by drunks, living on the main drag in town this year...

What about another shotgun

Here is what I would like to use it for:
Deer
Hog (if I get the chance)
Turkey
Home Defense
Anything else that could use some hunks of lead in it

What I think would work:
18-20 inch
smooth bore
removable chokes
3 inch chamber
Hold 6 rounds

Whats on the market:
Stuck between 2...

Benelli M2 with mag extension:
like the semi auto (dont need it for any particular reason)
Comfort tech. stock could be good
Only ghost rings, could be limiting for informal clay busting
removable chokes
Looks like it is taped for other types of optics

Really stinken expensive

Remington 870 variant (http://www.remington.com/products/fi...c-7-round.aspx)

Gun smith to install sights (more options if done this way, or I might use the bead for informal clays and HD, would it be possible to put on a low power scope for hunting and then remove for the rest of the time and use the bead?)
Would require gun smith to install removable chokes
Already has the capacity I want
I like the 870 design
Would have some kind of limb saver or Kick Eez
Can use low power round and not have to worry about cycling, could be very good for HD (cant use anything overly powerful...)

I know there is model with ghost sights already put on but I dont want one of those goofy flash hiders.

I have shot a 3inch mag slug out of my Beretta but it has a hard plastic recoil pad and I am not sure being a semi auto really helped. Kind of sore but I dont plan on using 3 inch mags all the time.

Last edited by Drummer101; July 5, 2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old July 5, 2011, 09:58 PM   #2
lamarw

As another thought, you could consider one platform with two separate purpose barrels. This will provide you with familiarity with the same gun, and a spare barrel is less expensive than two guns.

I wonder if we at times try to squeese too much into one gun. Let us know what you decide upon.

Last edited by lamarw; July 5, 2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old July 6, 2011, 12:36 AM   #3
TheKlawMan

I have an 870 just like that one and I use to shoot clays, but with a 28" vent ribbed barrel I bought for it. When it is at the house, it is configured with the 18 1/2 inch security barrel, but I take the long barrel to the range. Both barrels are beads. If you want a scope, I think you would want a third barrel with a cantilever scope attached to it.
Old July 6, 2011, 12:44 AM   #4
TheNocturnus

You too huh?

I got the scattergun bug also. I have handguns but want a better HD gun. That lead me to the obvious... a shotgun. I am not wealthy, just thrifty but not cheap... I am not, nor will I ever be a hunter (unless the world ends, but that is taboo on this site) so I just need a bedside HD gun.

I was looking at a Savage Arms 350 Security Pump Shotgun. Seems like a good fit for me. Simple, effective, inexpensive but not cheap.

I wish you luck in your search and hope you don't have any punks come a knockin at 2:00am.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old July 6, 2011, 05:11 AM   #5
Slugo

"As another thought, you could consider one platform with two separate purpose barrels. This will provide you with familiarity with the same gun, and a spare barrel is less expensive than two guns.

I wonder if we at times try to squeese too much into one gun. Let us know what you decide upon."

BINGO!!!
Old July 6, 2011, 07:23 AM   #6
Drummer101

I have a Beretta 3901 for clays and such and they do not offer a barrel I want, capacity and removing the duck plug require a gun smith...
Old July 6, 2011, 10:14 PM   #7
anonymousFolk

+1 on what theklawman said for myself. 870 extended mag two barrels, 28" and 18.5".

Thinking about replacing the stock for the heck of it to see how much difference it makes. Can't complain about the stock stock tho :P
Old July 7, 2011, 01:08 AM   #8
TheKlawMan

Nocturnus. If interested in buying a Stevens 350, then you may want to monitor this thread, where a guy has now had problems with three of them. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456110
Old July 8, 2011, 12:02 AM   #9
TheNocturnus

Yeah so I got a shotgun today. I got a 12 Gauge S&W Eastfield 916 for cheap. It works great and is in fair condition. I did some research on these and found that S&W had created a dismal failure with this shotgun and almost bought them all back from their customers...

Luckily for me I did not get one of the dud ones, everything seems to be working as it should. Unluckily for me I told my wife about it and she flipped. Her words "NO,NO,NO! I do not want a shotgun in my house!" She has no problems with my Glock or 22 pistols. So either I sell it or try to plead my case to her some more. Hell, after using my trade credit I only paid $45 for it and 2 boxes of shells.

I don't want my wife mad at me but I want the shotgun. My reasoning for getting one is the same as everyone else's... HD, Riot control, Civil uprising...Zombies (Just kidding).

What would you guys do?

Edit: Nevermind, my wife is really mad... the shotgun goes.

Last edited by TheNocturnus; July 8, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old July 8, 2011, 04:24 PM   #10
Drummer101

Bummer to hear about your case.

But for me on the other hand. Come next Thursday I am planning on ordering the 870.

Decided not to wait to get a semi auto to keep things simple.
Old July 8, 2011, 05:01 PM   #11
TheNocturnus

Well enjoy it man. 870's are nice. Shoot some shells for me please...
Old July 8, 2011, 07:09 PM   #12
Drummer101

Just tried to order the 870 (turns out I got paid this week not next).

I went through all the steps then it had this little VISA confirm thing come up.

Filled out that and then it just came to a page with some text...

I looked back at buds and there is nothing in my purchased page, but I am also thinking it could be a little soon.

Anyone else have this happen?

I dont want to be charged twice and their store is closed.

Figured it out! All good
Old July 9, 2011, 12:03 AM   #13
TheNocturnus

My wife decided to at least think about letting me keep the shotgun. I calmly explained to her my reasons for it and that it would be kept hidden but accessable if needed.

I am crossing my fingers hoping she see's reason.
Old July 9, 2011, 12:52 AM   #14
youngunz4life

nocturnus,

get a seperate pelican case with locks that you can store the shotgun with unloaded to start. keep the ammo seperate to make her feel safe - since you already have handguns for SD/HD?

this will allow some time to pass for her to feel more comfortable.

in other words, don't load it it start leaving it lying up agnst the bed w/you guys in case the 'night of the living dead' occurs this summer.LOL

the pelican case is good because you can store other stuff in it too and put it on a closet shelf or something...
Old July 9, 2011, 09:21 AM   #15
dgludwig

Quote:
the shotgun goes.
Good ridance, I say. I owned a Smith Model 916 (which was probably made for S&W by the Noble company) many years ago, bought it new for under $100.00. My thinking at the time was that, because it was a pump shotgun offered by a very reputable company, even if a very cheap one, what could go wrong? How bad could they be?

Turns out, very bad indeed and hard to fix (at least according to my gunsmith). I used to believe that a good analogy was to say that the Model916 was the "Hi-Point of shotguns." In terms of price and appearance, I was right. Where the analogy lost traction was the matter of reliability, being that, from most reports that I've perused, a Hi-Point generally works. Model 916s generally don't (at least mine and others I've read about didn't).
Old July 9, 2011, 12:17 PM   #16
TheNocturnus

Good advice on the pelican case. As far as the garbage gun goes the one I purchased works flawlessly. I figure if it works now and has been in service since at least 1972 its not going to crap out on me anytime soon, that is if the wife decides to let me keep it.

I read that these guns when they failed it was shortly after purchased new and were damn near impossible to repair. There are some that came off the factory line that worked great. I see it like fireworks, sometimes you light the fuse and pretty lights and sparks come out other times a puff of smoke then nothing. Luckily I got the pretty one so to speak.

Everyone cross their fingers for me in hopes I can keep this gun. Thanks in advance and ill let you guys know the final verdict.
Old July 9, 2011, 12:22 PM   #17
oneounceload

Get some light target loads, take her to the gun club, (trap skeet kind), let her see folks having fun, have someone show her the ropes, see if that changes her mind
Old July 9, 2011, 01:58 PM   #18
TheKlawMan

Listen to oneounceload and do not forget to get some light loads. Something like http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=915500
Old July 9, 2011, 11:57 PM   #19
TheNocturnus

Well the verdict is in... I get to keep it!
There are many years of adoration and love for my wife ahead. She can be so good to me. Now if I can only get her to not be so afraid of guns...
Old July 10, 2011, 12:11 AM   #20
lamarw

Glad to hear your turn of events. You might want to casualy reassure her of the safety of a shotgun in home defense. Many home owners and apartment dwellers like the fact of lower penetration of walls with pellets vs. bullets in most cases. You are less likely to harm an innocent person in a separate room or apartment if you should fire during a home invasion or criminal entrance.

I do not have this concern and my nearest weapon is a pistol, but I do have a shotgun within feet if I have the extra seconds to get to it.

Remember, your very best defense is a good alert dog.
Old July 10, 2011, 01:05 AM   #21
TheNocturnus

We have 3 dogs and 2 of them are Dachshunds. They bark at EVERY noise, nobody will get in our house unnoticed. The only concern I have with the shotgun is unintentionally hitting one of my pets, however unlikely. Most likely the cats would scatter and hide under the furniture and the dachshunds are kenneled at night. Our 3rd dog is scared of loud noises so she would be cowering under the bed, where I would want her to be anyway.

I also have a couple of pistols loaded and ready for a bump in the night. If an intruder (or multiple intruders) come around, I will be barracading the bedroom, calling 911, racking the shottie and giving the wife the Glock 23.

My wife is a wonderful person just a little afraid of guns. I understand where she is coming from. Hell, before march of this year I was totally against guns in our house as well. That all changed when I got robbed at gunpoint for the third and hopefully final time in my life. I then got my CCW permit and some firearms.

Sorry, wall of text ending now...
Old July 10, 2011, 01:58 AM   #22
youngunz4life

where do you live? are you near kansas city? I am sorry to hear about your firtune. 3times?! I think once would be enough to affect someone in an upsetting way. can you tell us about any of them?

ps- I went off on the gun thing when we bought our home(never been robbed), but I think my wife and I have some similarities to you and yours.lol. she had enough about the gun thing after a little bit but "hey Honey, I got to protect the family."
Old July 10, 2011, 01:33 PM   #23
TheNocturnus

Sure I will tell you about them. And yes I do live near Kansas City.

First time: My buddy and I went down to New Orleans for Mardi Gra when I was 20 years old. We had a blast, got really drunk and did some stupid stuff.

On our way back to the car, I was surrounded by 5 large men, 1 of them stuck a small pistol in my belly and said "Gimme your money or I'll kill you" I was so drunk I didn't realize what was going on and just said "I don't have any money, I spent it all on beads and beer" I gave him some of my beads and they left... lol

2nd time: This occurred in kansas city. I was 21 years old and was hanging out near the city market waiting for some friends to arrive so we could go to a concert inside. I was approached by a young guy and he said "Hey man, you want to buy a ticket?" I replied "No thanks, I have one and am just waiting for my friends" He said " Well I do", he pulled his pistol and pointed it at my face and said "Money, now" He got $25 from me...

3rd time: Also in Kansas City. I placed an ad on craigslist to sell one of my Xbox 360 gaming consoles. (I repair broken ones for extra cash sometimes)
At the time I was wanting to trade it for one of those tablet PC things.
A guy called me and said he had a tablet, gave me all of the information and wanted to meet for a trade.

He wanted to meet in his neighborhood since his girl had the car, so he said.
I drove to his street and there were kids playing, people tending to their yards and people walking around so I figured I was in a public enough place. I saw a young guy walking towards my car. The guy approached my car and as I was unlocking the door to get out he rushed the passenger side door, opened it and pointed a gun at my head and said "This is a robbery, don't f-ing move or you will die" He grabbed the Xbox, my phone and my wallet. He had the audacity to search my entire car while pointing the gun at me.

He gave me my wallet back since I had no cash, he did look at my home address and said " If I see any cops, I'll come to your house and finish what I started" I never felt so helpless, angry or embarrassed in my entire life.

I decided then that since I am disabled and unable to fight physically and I never want to feel like that again, it was time to get a gun. The rest is history.

Edit: I removed the race of the individual robbing me so not to create a race issue. I am not racist but seeing as I originally included the race it may appear so.

Last edited by TheNocturnus; July 10, 2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old July 11, 2011, 12:05 AM   #24
youngunz4life

that stuff is no joke

Glad you made it out ok!!
Old July 11, 2011, 12:29 AM   #25
TheNocturnus

Thanks man, I'm glad I made it out ok too. The funny and probably ironic thing is now that I have a CCW and carry two guns and have a shotgun at home, I will never be robbed again. Don't get me wrong, I would love to never be robbed again but can't you see the irony in that?