The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 3, 2011, 09:23 AM   #1
D-Nied

Denied Suffolk NY Permit

Ive been denied my pistol permit for Suffolk County. How do I go about appealing thid decision?
Old July 3, 2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

Don't they tell you about an appeal procedure in the county info?
Old July 3, 2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Wildalaska

Quote:
Don't they tell you about an appeal procedure in the county info?
Of course they do

Wildfirstyoudoyourappealwiththeofficeroragencythenifyoulosethereyoufileanarticle78proceedingwhichreplacestheoldwritsofmandamuscertiorariandcoramnobisAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old July 3, 2011, 08:51 PM   #4
D-Nied

I've looked in the county site and cannot find any reference to the appellate procedures regaurding pistol permit denials. I'm going to stop into the hq in yaphank to inquire about the correct process. I will post an update.
Old July 3, 2011, 09:05 PM   #5
jimbob86

You could ...... move out of Mordor?
Old July 3, 2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Musketeer

Quote:
You could ...... move out of Mordor?
Those of us who live in places like Suffolk County NY and donate money to the 2A cause which we know is being used to best effect in places other than we live really find such retorts offensive. Not everybody, in fact very few, can upheave spouse and children while tossing off stable employment in order to move to the places you deem appropriate.

The question was about an appeals process and the poster will getthe corded t information in Yaphank. He could also search the county website and the information should be available.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old July 3, 2011, 10:28 PM   #7
Musketeer

Google Long island shooters forum and you will find a local site which should be able to assist.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old July 4, 2011, 12:23 AM   #8
youngunz4life

best bet might be the official notification they send you in writing(if they do)? just wait for it
Old July 4, 2011, 01:13 AM   #9
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Mordor, Huh!?

jimbob86, compared to Idaho and Montana, Mordor would include Nebraska. Of course, compared to Alaska, Arizona, Vermont and Wyoming, Idaho would be Mordor.

Kinda in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?

What a shame we have to attack each other and be so divisive.
Old July 4, 2011, 07:50 AM   #10
Uncle Buck

Don't they have to tell you why you were denied? Can you afford a lawyer to file the appeal request and try again that way.

I tried to understand the gun laws in several state, but I really can not. Good Luck to you and please keep us informed.
Old July 4, 2011, 04:18 PM   #11
Garybock

Denied

I am a New York State CCW permit holder for just over 2 years. My understanding is they will deny your permit application if:
** you do not pass the mental health review. Have you ever had a hospital stay in a mental institution, any former miltary mental health notations in your discharge if you are a veteran.
** when they checked your references - did anyone hurt your application there. They asked my references if I had a drinking, drug and violence issues. When I submitted my application they called my wife to see if we had issues and asked her if she was good with my getting a permit. They called me during my wife's application review too.
** Any arrests or convictions on your record.
** Some counties make us appear before a judge (not in my county). If you had to do that - how did that go - any issues there.
I was told they are required to tell you why you were denied and that you can appeal. Good luck.
Old July 4, 2011, 04:20 PM   #12
heyjoe

this is all about suffolk county licensing laws and questions people have had and problems they have run into

http://www.longislandfirearms.com/forum/b-10/