The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 23, 2011, 08:10 PM   #1
ammo.crafter

my screwed up shoulder

Anyone have a suggestion for a 12ga semi-auto that's a soft shooter?
I have the opportunity to pick up a Bennelli Legacy at $1300.

Anyone know this gun?

I shoot a gas operated 20ga Remington G-3 and it's a dream as far as noticable recoil, but I do miss shooting a 12ga.

THX
Old June 23, 2011, 09:12 PM   #2
baddarryl

Exact reason I picked up a Rem 1100. Shot 100 shells (just target loads) no issues at all with shoulder.
Old June 23, 2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Rugerismisticness

I would recommend the cordoba, it is a softer shooting benelli than the Legacy and it is a bit cheaper with a few more valuable features. Wood stocked benellis aren't as soft as their comfortech counterparts, but they certainly don't kick as bad as a poorly fitted shotgun or a 391. Benellis come with shim kits that allow you to fit yourself to the gun. I'm recieving a 28" cordoba mid July to go with my Monte and Nova. I have usually have a Briley barrel wieght, this reduces recoil further and improves swing.

Other shotguns, like the A400 with KO, Rem 105CTI II (yes, the "I's" had bad reps, but the IIs work well), and Maxus are soft kickers. Have a go at the new maxus sporting (the wood one).

Randy Wakeman over on SGW has a website where he reviews and thourougly tests shotguns and other things, I think the site was Randywakeman.com or something along those lines. I know he has insight on the Vinci, Maxus, A400, Versamax (think Nissan Versa whenever you hear Versamax) and some other guns.
Old June 24, 2011, 08:07 AM   #4
shortwave

Another Rem. 1100 vote. Heavy, but one of the softest shooting 12's ever made.
Old June 24, 2011, 08:54 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

What is wrong with your shoulder? Do get checked and if needs surgery do not delay. I am one who knows.
By reputation, the Benneli is most comfortable shooter out there when it comes to recoil.
Old June 24, 2011, 09:00 AM   #6
oneounceload

I have rotator issues with my shooting shoulder (long past due and next on the surgery list)

What is going to make a difference is shooting the HEAVIEST gun you can with the lightest loads. A GAS action, (not inertia), will aid in felt recoil by elongating the recoil pulse over a few more milliseconds. Recoil reducing devices like Bumpbuster, Gracoil, Gsquared, JS, etc. also add weight and extend the pulse.

My 12 is about 8.25# and I shoot soft and slow 7/8 oz loads. The advantage of an O/U is that I can even go down to 3/4oz loads and not worry about whether there is enough OOMPH to work the action for the second shot
Old June 24, 2011, 09:17 AM   #7
AllenJ

I'm not sure I would even consider a Benelli if I had shoulder issues. They are built for reliability, not low recoil. Have you considered a Browning Maxus? They advertise they are the softest shooting semi on the market. I have shot them and 1100's and both feel about the same, the Browning is just much lighter.
Old June 24, 2011, 12:27 PM   #8
BigJimP

Having been thru a complete shoulder rebuild --- rotator cuff, bone spurs and torn bicep ...shooting didn't cause it / but it didn't make it better either.

+1 on OneOunces input ....but when you have shoulder issues - the weight of the gun becomes an issue too. Everybody is different / but before the surgery - I couldn't mount and swing an 8 1/2 lb gun ...or it would really tear my shoulder up ...so I had to go to a lighter gun ( or to a smaller gague / like a 28ga ) ...

I like the Benelli - but if you go with a Benelli it will have to have the comfort tech system in it - so it has to be synthetic - like the Super Sport model or it will give you too much recoil. Saying one model of Benelli is softer to shoot ...is only relevent - if its a heavier gun / and none of their wood stocked guns are softer shooting than the comfort tech guns.

For a gas gun / in terms of recoil they're all about the same - and I'd look at the Beretta 391's, Browning Silver series or Win SX3's ( same as Browning), or Browning Maxus, or maybe a Rem 1100 or 11-87 but the 1100 and the 11-87 are old technology. Go with the heaviest gun you can handle comfortably / and shoot the lightest load the gun will cycle ....but many gas guns will cycle 7/8 oz loads at 1150 fps ...most of the Benelli's will not. For most of the Benelli's you will have to go up to 1200 fps ...and maybe a 1oz shell. It may not cycle a 7/8 oz shell - unless you push the velocity up a little more.
Old June 24, 2011, 01:42 PM   #9
oneounceload

Of course, IF it is only going to be for clay games, the expensive, but nice, Beretta UGB Excel, a hybrid semi gas, break-open gun, is worth looking into (well, except for the price); otherwise to add to Jim's suggestions, the new Beretta A400 with the Kick off can be had in wood - fairly light at about 7#, (or the sporting model at about 8), newer gas system design that "cleans itself - (Beretta's words)

Remember, there are TWO recoils to be concerned with - actual and felt.

Actual is what does the deep-down damage over time - heavy gun plus light, slow loads is what reduces this

Felt - is the "kick" people talk about - is due to gun fit and is what cause cheek slap, bruises, etc - "surface" damage if you will - that is where proper fit and recoil pads, and other devices come in to make it "FEEL" less than what it is.

Talk to your doctor about your shoulder and see what he says
Old June 24, 2011, 02:14 PM   #10
BigJimP

I was unloading my truck the other day - when I got home from the range ...and my wife asked if I needed any help ....??

I said sure honey, will you clean these 3 guns ...and then lock them up please ....( she said sure, I'll just stick them out on the lawn / and cycle the sprinkler system ....) ....good thing she's cute / cause she's mean ....

" self cleaning gas system " ...thats up there in the oxy-morons .../ but I will say ...they are supposed to be getting better ...and they probably are...
Old June 24, 2011, 02:43 PM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Having gone through one surgery and looking at another on my other shoulder. My advice is to look elsewhere. Lovely gun but it is a light gun and picking up a heavier gun that fits you well is going to be a lot nicer on your shoulder. That is the only reason I can shoot my 10 gauge after rotator cuff surgery. 36" of heavy barrel really tames the beast. I have a single shot 12 gauge belonging to my Great Grandfather that I can barely tolerate with light loads of #7 1/2 shot in it. It's also why most of my shooting is done with a 20 gauge.

Dos Centavos from a dinosaur whats been dere dun dat.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old June 27, 2011, 07:12 PM   #12
anonymousFolk

+1 on the 7/8 loads, big difference. Although it seemed great to save a few bucks whilst shooting at clays, quickly learned that bargain target load ammo was bargain for a reason.