The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 24, 2000, 05:35 PM   #1
JNA_Klappe

I'm looking for al differnt proofmarks on weapons. I'm also intressted in serialnumbers and jear of making of Guns
Can You help me?

------------------

Old January 24, 2000, 06:18 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

JNA
The blue book of gun values is your best bet. I covers most proof marks and also serialization.

HJN
Old January 25, 2000, 02:22 AM   #3
Steven Mace

Also a nice little piece of reference is the "Official Guide To Gunmarks - Third Edition", by Robert H. Balderson. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical
Old January 25, 2000, 09:59 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I also use The Standard Directory of Proof Marks; with WWII German Ordnance Codes by Gerhard Wirnsberger, translated by R.A. Steindler. I have an older edition ofThe Official Guide to Gunmarks; The Ultimate Gun Identification Guide by David Byron.
There are some cross-reference lists online and in print. Also some manufacturers list serial number ranges by years on their websites (I know Ruger does at least).
Gun Parts catalogs are also good reference books. You may also want to pick up The Standard Catalog of Firearms.
These are all good general publications. Quite a few companies have publications dedicated to that particular company and/or firearm (The Book of the Garand, FN FAL, etc). An extensive library is a must. I probably have around 100 books on firearms but I still don't have near enough to look up everything I want to.
Old January 25, 2000, 02:06 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Fal308,

I guess I have close to 500 gun books and it seems I can never find what I want. Oh, well.

Jim
Old January 26, 2000, 09:08 AM   #6
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Jim, I'm really envious. Do you have them catalouged at all (paper or computer)? Think about doing it every once in a while but then I think about how much time it would take.
Old January 26, 2000, 09:42 AM   #7
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Jim & fal308:
I think we three have a similar situation, Except, I like Jim have many books on firearms and most of my information has been cataloged alphabetically, transfered to a data base, and is currently being put on CD Rom. (New Machine)

As we share similarities, I think that we enhance each others' information and provide a great service. As we know that there are times that research material differs from one source to the other, or we may interpret the information differently,in the presentation of our material therefore, we may sometimes disagree, not because of our knowledge, or lack thereof but due to research material.

HJN
Old January 26, 2000, 12:36 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, guys,

Nothing cataloged. I wouldn't live long enough. On another forum someone asked about Mauser rifles made by Hopkins and Allen. I knew they made them, but couldn't recall the circumstances. Someone else responded that they were Model 1889 made for Belgium during WWI. Correct, and maybe if I cataloged and cross checked all my info...

Jim
Old March 4, 2000, 04:46 PM   #9
JNA_Klappe

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Keenan:
Hi, guys,

Nothing cataloged. I wouldn't live long enough. On another forum someone asked about Mauser rifles made by Hopkins and Allen. I knew they made them, but couldn't recall the circumstances. Someone else responded that they were Model 1889 made for Belgium during WWI. Correct, and maybe if I cataloged and cross checked all my info...

Jim
[/quote]

Thank you all for your information. Can anyone send me pictures or printings bij email.
Thank a lot from a friend in the Netherlands

------------------