The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 3, 2011, 10:01 PM   #1
the rifleer

Model 12 broken connecting rod

So I have a friend who is looking to sell me a very old Winchester Model 12. Its in rough shape, but the connecting rod (the part that connects the bolt to the pump handle) is broken in two, thus the bolt does not move when you move the handle.

I think the last time I checked they were about $80. If thats what I have to do, I can do it, but I'm wondering if it can be welded back together. The two pieces fit perfectly together. I don't know how in the world it snapped. I'm confident that I can weld it and grind it smooth, I just want to know what others think. Obviously I would take it off of the gun before I heated anything up that way I don't alter the metal structure of any structurally critical components.
Old June 3, 2011, 10:20 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You can try welding, but I'd send the whole thing off to Nu Line or Simmons for a complete rebuild.

12s are famed for durability and longevity.Once this is brought up to snuff you'll have a forever gun.

A good friend has one he's put over 200K rounds through it and he bought it used. It has had some work done, but he's figured out the cost per use is quite low.
Old June 3, 2011, 11:33 PM   #3
zippy13

Simmons has been working on Model 12s for over 65-years. I doubt there's a fixable problem that they can't solve.
Old June 4, 2011, 01:13 AM   #4
big al hunter

Get the new part it is less likely to fail. That said, if you must do it yourself, don't weld it. Braise weld it with brass and torch not electric arc. My father in law had a weld fix done by a buddy on his mossberg 500 connecting rod ( same problem you have). His buddy ground the rod to get a better connection and made it shorter. we had to file the end to make it fit, That made the fore stock loose in the closed position. If you braise weld it you don't have to grind first just flux the joint and line it up.
Old June 4, 2011, 07:45 AM   #5
dahermit

Quote:
Get the new part it is less likely to fail. That said, if you must do it yourself, don't weld it. Braise weld it with brass and torch not electric arc. My father in law had a weld fix done by a buddy on his mossberg 500 connecting rod ( same problem you have). His buddy ground the rod to get a better connection and made it shorter. we had to file the end to make it fit, That made the fore stock loose in the closed position. If you braise weld it you don't have to grind first just flux the joint and line it up.
Brazing is not welding. By definition, welding happens when two similar metals are heated to the liquid state and they flow together. Brazing is when the two metals are heated to less than liquid heat and a metal with a lower melting temperature is melted and fuses to the two metal pieces being joined. If you do not know the difference, you have not taken welding instruction and you should ask yourself, "Should I be advising someone about that process?

Or, is it a matter of: "Hell, ma daddy usta work on these!"
Old June 4, 2011, 10:56 AM   #6
the rifleer

I dont have the equipment to weld it myself. I know how because i took a couple shot classes in high school. There are local welding shops and Ill just that the part in and see what they can do. If they do and it breaks Ill buy the real deal.

thanks alot guys.
Old June 9, 2011, 06:43 AM   #7
jaeger83

Model 12's are great guns, I have three presently, all field grades, .12 g, .16g and .20 g. The 20 took the longest time to find a good one. They are beatifully built and will last several lifetimes if properly cared for. Enjoy it.
Old June 9, 2011, 04:42 PM   #8
the rifleer

I fixed it up, I had it MIG welded by a friend.

To the model 12 owners, Mine sometimes wants to let two shells in when I pump it. What could be the cause of that? I have to load the chamber first, then the magazine or else it jams up. As long I load it the way I said it works fine, but obviously I shouldn't have to do that.