The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 22, 2011, 01:46 PM   #26
Skadoosh

Quote:
From personal experience I can tell you offering up your CCW at a traffic stop satisfies the notify requirement.
Concur. This is probably the easiest and most efficient way of informing a LEO that you are carrying. Be sure to keep both hands visible (perhaps both hands on the steering wheel).

The LEO will likely ask you if you are presently carrying and, if so, where on your body the weapon is located. Once he or she is satisfied that you are compliant and nonthreatening, he or she will likely resume the traffic stop as routine.

Or as AFS pointed out, it may not resume as a routine stop.
Old June 22, 2011, 01:53 PM   #27
Don P

As I have stated in other threads, it would be in YOUR best interest to inform whether it is required or not. Wouldn't want that gun butt sneaking out for a peek when you reach for the glove box. Just advise that a Daytona Beach police gave me when I asked about this very issue
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 22, 2011, 02:09 PM   #28
mete

I wonder if when the officer stops you he hasn't already run your license plate and knows a few things about you ! In NY we don't have to notify the officer .
Old June 22, 2011, 02:16 PM   #29
Webleymkv

Indiana is not a "must inform" state. However, the last time I was pulled over (by an IN State Trooper BTW), one of the first things out of his mouth was to ask me if I had any firearms in the vehicle.
Old June 22, 2011, 02:45 PM   #30
Spats McGee
Staff

I don't know if the CCL comes up when plates are run or not. Regardless, I think presenting the CCL satisfies notification. I also think that notifying, regardless of whether you're in a "must inform" state, is wise. LEOs can (understandably) be a little twitchy during traffic stops and you really, really want them to know that you have a CCL before they discover that you have a gun.

I also agree that once you've presented the CCL, simply asking how to proceed seems like a good way to go. I can see several ways to go about this:

Good:
Here's my DL and my CCL, and yes, I am carrying. How would you like me to proceed?

Bad:
I have a gun!
Old June 22, 2011, 02:54 PM   #31
ClayInTx

I’ve been stopped for routine checks.

I show both.

Why not?

Never had a problem.

Not yet been asked where it is, although that wouldn’t bother me.
Old June 22, 2011, 02:56 PM   #32
bigbaby

I was pulled over in Indiana by a trooper. I had MD plates and the first thing he asked me was; are there any firearms in my truck. I said no(I lied) and he gave me a verbal warning for speeding; I was going 21 miles over. I think if you are legally carrying I would not admit it. Concealed should be concealed, even if you have to lean over a little. If the cop knows you are carrying; I have to figure, it aint gonna be a great experience for you.
Old June 22, 2011, 03:30 PM   #33
twobit

In Texas you must show your CHL (concealed handgun license) whenever (like at a traffic stop) you are required to show your DL or ID to a peace officer or magistrate if you are carrying at the time. (Texas Government code 411.205) Handing them your CHL and DL at the same time is sufficient. It does not also have to be verbal, but it could be.

Whatever you do in any state, refrain from using the phrase "I have a gun!". "Gun" is an alarm word to police and the second officer you don't see standing at the back of your car will react badly if he hears the word "gun". A good comment to make to the officer might be "That is my CHL and I currently do/do not have the firearm with me." Don't be moving your hands around while you do this. The initial part of all traffic stops is the time when all officers have to figure out quickly if you are a safe person or are an immediate threat to them going home alive that day. Do your part to helping them figure this out quickly so the rest of the stop can be completed.
I never harass CHL holders for being CHL holders. I figure those people are the good guys of the world. They have been checked. I think every law abiding adult aught to be able to go about their daily life armed if they wish.

Once a Texas officer has entered your name or DL into the system, either his computer or his dispatcher will immediately inform him you are a Texas CHL holder and will detail whether it is current or expired. That is why if you are licensed and not carrying at the time, it is good to tell them about your CHL or show it to them anyway. When they run your Texas license plates, it will tell them if your vehicle insurance is valid. A license plate check does not flag the CHL records. A DL check does.
All the above is Texas. Your mileage will vary in other states.

Have a nice day and sign here
Old June 22, 2011, 04:02 PM   #34
spacecoast

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I can understand why the "I have a gun" statement would not be the best way to proceed. I carry the gun in the center console so there wouldn't be an issue with an officer seeing it.
Old June 22, 2011, 07:26 PM   #35
AH.74

Quote:
I was pulled over in Indiana by a trooper. I had MD plates and the first thing he asked me was; are there any firearms in my truck. I said no(I lied) and he gave me a verbal warning for speeding; I was going 21 miles over.
Why on earth would you risk lying to an officer? That was not very smart.
Old June 22, 2011, 07:47 PM   #36
fisherman66

Quote:
Why on earth would you risk lying to an officer? That was not very smart.
Agreed. That seems like a very bad gamble with absolutely nothing to gain.
Old June 22, 2011, 08:08 PM   #37
tony pasley

In North Carolina the best way to handle being pulled over, open drivers window about 3", have DL and permit in hand with both hands on the steering wheel advise the officer where it is if asked and follow thier instructions. I have went thru many DL checks that way and have always been waved thru.
Old June 22, 2011, 08:29 PM   #38
Tactical Jackalope

Pulled over.

Lights off. Engine off. Windows down. Emergency blinkers. Both hands on the wheel. Turn on light inside car (if at night). all those are a must.

Whatever the greeting the officer gives you, comply and before you even reach. Tell him/her that you have a carry permit and what they would want you to do next.

Then from there on it's all in the officers hands. Each one is different of course.
Old June 22, 2011, 09:27 PM   #39
Micahweeks

Yup. We just had a good thread on this a couple of weeks ago with equally good advice. Notify the officer with your hands at 10 and 2 and request instructions.

thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453190

Last edited by Micahweeks; June 22, 2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old June 22, 2011, 11:16 PM   #40
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

[smacks head]

Thanks Micah for that little reminder. I had completely forgotten.

Threads merged.
Old June 23, 2011, 06:47 AM   #41
Don P

Quote:
I wonder if when the officer stops you he hasn't already run your license plate and knows a few things about you ! In NY we don't have to notify the officer .
Thats one of the many things the NRA has fought for is to keep CCW private. Here in FLA when they run or swipe the drivers license all that comes up is the info that MVR has. Nothing about CCW or gun ownership. I still feel its best to inform whether it required or not. Safest for all involved.
Old June 23, 2011, 07:32 AM   #42
spacecoast

Quote:
Whatever the greeting the officer gives you, comply and before you even reach. Tell him/her that you have a carry permit and what they would want you to do next.
I hope you're speaking of a "must inform officer" state. Florida is NOT one of those and if/when stopped, I have no intention of informing.

Quote:
I still feel its best to inform whether it required or not. Safest for all involved.
If it's a routine traffic stop, and there's no chance the officer is going to run into the gun (i.e. it's in my center console) then I will not inform. As long as it's within the law, why complicate your life unnecessarily?
Old June 23, 2011, 08:00 AM   #43
Don P

Quote:
If it's a routine traffic stop, and there's no chance the officer is going to run into the gun (i.e. it's in my center console) then I will not inform. As long as it's within the law, why complicate your life unnecessarily?
I'll repeat the story, from a Daytona Beach PD officer. Traffic stop, driver leans over to get registration from glove box, butt of gun pops out from under his shirt, driver yanked from car at gun point, to the ground. Overkill by PD, maybe. Had he informed this would not have happened. Do as you wish and either reap the rewards of not telling and feeling you got one up on the PD or aggravation and complicate things.
Just curious as to why informing the officer would complicate life if you are within the law and LEGAL???????
Old June 23, 2011, 08:08 AM   #44
Skadoosh

Don P: In that case, I think the LEO seriously overreacted, especially if FL is not an shall-inform state (Informing law enforcement is required upon demand in FL). The driver was not a threat since the weapon was holstered and the driver was not reaching for the weapon.
Old June 23, 2011, 02:15 PM   #45
spacecoast

Quote:
Just curious as to why informing the officer would complicate life if you are within the law and LEGAL???????
I think the officer is more likely to react negatively if he knows I am carrying than if he doesn't know (as your story illustrates). Again, the method with which I carry in the car precludes accidental exposure. If he asks directly, I won't lie to him, but I'm not going to volunteer the info.
Old June 23, 2011, 03:57 PM   #46
markj

Be polite, I have found that this makes it better for everyone.

I got pulled over the other day, I told him I had a permit and was carrying. He asked me what I had, a colt 45 in the front pocket, a 1911 iwb right hip, a ruger 100 3in barrel 357 on right ankle, a shotgun in the trunk, ar15 too, a boker magnum in left front pocket, spare mags and speed loader in left holster.

He said well best be prepared and let me go was a lite day I didnt need my other gear.....
Old June 23, 2011, 04:11 PM   #47
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by markj
I got pulled over the other day, I told him I had a permit and was carrying. He asked me what I had, a colt 45 in the front pocket, a 1911 iwb right hip, a ruger 100 3in barrel 357 on right ankle, a shotgun in the trunk, ar15 too, a boker magnum in left front pocket, spare mags and speed loader in left holster.
If he'd asked you what you were afraid of, you could've pulled off that old joke and told him, "Not a damn thing!"
Old June 23, 2011, 04:31 PM   #48
ZeSpectre

Having worked in and with law enforcement here's my two pennies....

1) Turn the vehicle off, but keep your seatbelt on.
A vehicle is a great big weapon, please disable it so as to present no threat. If conditions warrent (very cold or very hot) ask the officer if you can re-start the vehicle for heat or a/c.

2) Turn the radio and any other noisy devices off. Turn your emergency flashers ON. If it's dark turn the interior lights on.

3) Place your hands in sight on the steering wheel. Advise your passengers to put their hands in their laps and SIT STILL.

4) DO NOT get out anything ahead of time, DO NOT rummage around, DO NOT go into the glovebox or other compartments until the officer asks you for your paperwork. Law enforcement HATES to watch frantic activity in a vehicle they are approaching since it could be someone getting their paperwork, or hiding something, or preparing weapons. Don't do it!

5) Inform that you are armed if required, don't if you aren't. The best phrase I've heard is "Officer, I wanted to inform you that I am legally armed, what would you like me to do?".

6) One voice (the driver) speaks for the car. Everyone else should remain silent unless the officer directly asks them a question. This avoids confusion.

And finally, always remember that right there, on the side of the road, the officer is ALWAYS right. Any dispute or issue should be taken up LATER in the secure venue of an office or court. Raising issues on the side of the road where an office may consider their safety to be marginal at best is a lot like prodding an angry bull from inside the fence line and makes about as much sense.
Old June 23, 2011, 04:40 PM   #49
hermannr

My advice when stopped in a traffic stop.

Have your information available where you can get it without looking like you are doing something from the rear. Place it in your hand, and put both hands on the steering wheel and roll the window down.

In WA we do not have an inform law, so include your permit if you wish, or not. When they run your license, your CPL will show up with your information.

When the officer approaches, hand him your information and place your hands back on the steering wheel.

In doing things this way I have never been asked anything about my weapon, even when it was in plain sight. I don't get stopped very often, maybe 5 times in the last 40 years, but it has always worked for me.

That method was taught to me by a WSP officer (friend) years ago.
Old June 23, 2011, 05:57 PM   #50
Webleymkv

Quote:
I wonder if when the officer stops you he hasn't already run your license plate and knows a few things about you !
After the incident that I described in my previous post, I wondered the same thing myself, particularly because I'd never been asked that question when pulled over before (though that was the first and only time I've been stopped by a State Trooper). Before I elaborate further, I should probably more thoroughly describe the incident in question:

I was stopped by an IN State Trooper for a seat belt violation. When the officer asked me if I had a firearm in the vehicle I told him that I did and he asked where it was. I replied that it was under the driver's seat and he asked me to hand it to him. I complied with his request and handed him my gun in the zippered case I keep it in. He asked if there was a round in the chamber (he hadn't actually seen the gun yet, he'd just been handed the zipped-up case) to which I replied that it was a revolver and that it was indeed loaded. He then asked for my driver's license, registration, and LTCH (that's what a CCL is called in IN) and took them, along with my handgun back to his car. He returned with my license, registration, LTCH, still-loaded revolver, and a ticket for the seat belt violation and we both went on our way.

Shortly after the aforementioned traffic stop, I asked that question of an acquaintance of mine who happens to be a reserve deputy for the Bartholomew County IN Sheriff's Dept. He told me that it was unlikely that the State Police had LTCH info when running plates and that it was probably just the policy of the State Police to ask. He also told me that, because I did indeed have a gun in the vehicle when I was stopped, that when my plates were run in the future the officer would probably be informed that I was known to carry a handgun and possibly the make, model, and serial number of the gun I had that day (S&W Model 629-6 if anyone cares).