The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 30, 2011, 04:39 AM   #1
trg42wraglefragle

Rings and Bases

Hi.

I'm wanting to put a new scope on my 22 and thought i'd quite like quick release rings, but i'd has to get a new bases too.

Upon looking at different products, i've noticed a huge difference in prices for rings and bases.
Would cheaper rings and bases be noticeably bad being used on a 22lr?
I thought I better ask as I don't want to get some quick release rings and find they are hopeless.

The rings im looking at are Leapers by the way.

Thanks Sam
Old May 30, 2011, 02:05 PM   #2
GURU1911

Howdy from sealy, texas

SAM, THIS TYPE OF QUESTION SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON THE "SMITHY" SECTION OF THIS FORUM, BUT I WILL BE GLAD TO ASSIST YOU.

GURU1911 GUIDELINES FOR TELESCOPIC SIGHTING SYSTEMS (scope, rings, & bases): "THE COST OF THE OPTICAL SYSTEM SHOULD EQUAL OR EXCEED THE PRICE PAID FOR THE FIREARM"

BUY ALL-STEEL BASES & RINGS. NO SEE-THRU OR QUICK REMOVE SYSTEMS.
BUY A 1" DIAMETER 4-POWER FIXED SCOPE IN THE $100 TO 200 DOLLAR BRACKET. MOUNT THE SCOPE AS LOW AS POSSIBLE WITHOUT TOUCHING ANYTHING.

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old May 30, 2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Doyle

Guru, please don't shout.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:52 PM   #4
hoghunting

Is your .22 drilled and tapped for a scope base? Most .22 rifles have a rail for the rings. I am not aware of any quick release rings for a .22 rail.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:54 PM   #5
trg42wraglefragle

I was going to buy a Weaver style rail for it to, and yes it is drilled and tapped, but if it wasn't it wouldn't be hard to get it done.
Old May 31, 2011, 09:15 AM   #6
GURU1911

Attention: Doyle

I type in large bold caps because i have visual problems as a result of multiple mini-strokes. The optic nerve in my rt. Eye is dead because of a lack of blood supply. My lt. Eye has a cataract & both are affected from glaucoma. I can no longer drive & home-bound most of the time. Therefore, my computer allows me access to people outside of my immediate & extended family. I was forced to retire from my 32 year career as a safety & environmental engineer because of my health issues.

The staff moderators of this forum and those members who regularly read my threads & responses, are aware of this reason for the capital letters. Hopefully my explanation to you will suffice.

I remain devoted to this forum, the shooters who participate. America, & the second amendment of the constitution.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"