The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old May 25, 2011, 06:38 PM   #1
700REM

Closed threads -

Why are there so many closed threads on this board ? its really getting out of hand.The minute somebody does not agree with somebody else ,is not a reason to "close" a thread.If your a moderator on here - sit back and relax,take a deep breath !! If you cant comprehend something being discussed ,move on...dont just close a thread !! Just my .2
Old May 25, 2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Don H

Quote:
Why are there so many closed threads on this board ?
Because, like this thread, many are off-topic for the forum they were posted in. Therefore, expect this thread to be closed shortly.

Many people don't read the rules or they expect the rules weren't meant for them.
Old May 25, 2011, 07:07 PM   #3
700REM

Well ,you cant post a Gen Disc thread because it has to be "gun" related-hint.

So here it is..Im not the only one noticing it.Its just getting old.Even the good threads like the "hog" thread are getting closed.And your right ,even this one will be closed.Nuff said .
Old May 25, 2011, 07:17 PM   #4
zxcvbob

IBTL <g>
Old May 25, 2011, 07:45 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

So you are on topic for the huntin' section how? Huntin for a new locked thread?

And for the best answer PM a mod... Shane Tuttle or Al Norris... Tell them h-dogs sent cha...

I ain't had a butt chappin' yet today...
Brent
Old May 25, 2011, 08:29 PM   #6
700REM

No Sir,just making a point - and not scared to do so .End of story.

Back to your regular program.
Old May 25, 2011, 08:51 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The point we are making is that this forum is as high quality as it is due to the strict adherence to protocol... With over 94,000 registered members and over 6,000 "active" members, there is no way it can be left to willy nilly posting.

As a mod once stated... TFL is to be used like a lecture hall in a quality university rather than like a town pub... Or some such lingo...

Brent
Old May 25, 2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

When posts in an on-topic thread remain on topic, no problem.

When on-topic posters remain polite and courteous, acting like grownups, no problem.

Posts do get closed after questions are answered, since there's no point in continuing.

We have few rules, really, but they seem common-sensical as to making this a quality website and not some sort of play pen for morons.

And I'll let this thread run for a brief while, in case my efforts at explanation have been overly complex.
Old May 25, 2011, 09:09 PM   #9
700REM

Closed -
Old May 25, 2011, 09:59 PM   #10
GeauxTide

Well said, Art. Can't correct last word freaks.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:14 PM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

If you're going to step up to the plate and accuse with sweeping generalities, how 'bout providing prime examples that haven't violated the spirit and intent of TFL yet were closed...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 25, 2011, 10:17 PM   #12
youngunz4life

I have seen serious argument threads that haven't been closed even when people have asked it to be though...guess some fall thru the cracks until they're gotten around to
Old May 25, 2011, 10:48 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

young, There could be some as you mention... But "heated" discussion is fine and dandy on TFL... lord knows I have followed and/or participated in a bunch... It is when the arguing sinks to personal attacks, attacks on one segment of the population or just totally exhausted any chance to move further in a forward direction...

Personally, I think it is these completely "circular" discussions that occur most often needing closed.

Brent
Old May 26, 2011, 03:01 AM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Why are there so many closed threads on this board ? its really getting out of hand.The minute somebody does not agree with somebody else ,is not a reason to "close" a thread.If your a moderator on here - sit back and relax,take a deep breath !! If you cant comprehend something being discussed ,move on...dont just close a thread !! Just my .2
The reason most threads get closed here, is not due to moderators not liking "discussions". It's because participating members can't keep their emotions in check, and can't stay on topic.

Take a look at the last 10-15 locked threads in this forum. They all turned into peeing contests, or went so far off topic they were no longer useful. ....Or... Members here don't understand that people live in different parts of the country. We hunt different species, in different terrain, with different methods, with different seasons, and abide by different laws and regulations. People like throwing a fit about seemingly "illegal" or "unethical" activities, when they are perfectly legal and ethical where the poster is located.

You wanted the mods' attention, and got it. Provide them with some examples, if you think threads were truly closed unfairly. Otherwise... this thread is just an emotional rant (and against TFL's rules).
Old May 26, 2011, 04:50 AM   #15
40caljustice

And in my opinion its some of the same folks every time who know everything and agrees with nothing. They try to push their opinions on everyone and resort to childish behavior when another member stands up for themselves. Its a real pitty folks act like that. I wanna jump in sometimes but its not my style. I'm here to discuss something's I love and learn what I can. Not argue about another's opinion. I think the mods are doing excellent work. Its hard babysitting some of these morons. Keep up the good work guys.

P.S. Anyone who spends any amount of time reading threads, past and present, have pin pointed the "know it alls". I usually just skip their post. May help y'all too. Just saying.
Old May 26, 2011, 05:16 AM   #16
700REM

At 51 years of age I pretty much understand everyones opinion.I've been on this board for a little while ,but barely post on this board.I do more reading and laughing than anything - I think what happens is people lose perspective in their posistion on the board and just drop the axe on anything they disagree with or anything they cant comprehend..thats in itself is sad..nothing lese needs to be said on the matter,

As for getting the so called Mods attention- I could careless what a "mod" thinks - on the internet or in person.
Old May 26, 2011, 06:04 AM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You think that the Mods close threads because they don't understand the subject matter and you could care less about "what the so called Mods think".

Wow.
Old May 26, 2011, 08:05 AM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Good morning, all. Seems to me as though we've nattered away happily as much as we need to.

More coffee...
Closed Thread