The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 28, 2011, 04:52 PM   #1
MrEpps

P95 safety question

I've finally registered, so hey to everyone

I carry a Ruger P95 DAO, no safety, had it since 95, but never keep a round in the chamber. Is it safe to carry with one in the chamber? If so, is there a chance of an accidental discharge?
Old April 28, 2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

People carry Glocks and similar guns daily and so long as you use proper gun handling skills, the changes of a ND are very slim.

If you do carry, use a proper holster made for that gun that covers the trigger. I for one carry a Glock and a Ruger LCP and with a proper holster, I have no fear of having a ND.
Old April 28, 2011, 07:40 PM   #3
k4swb

I really am not trying to be a smart arse but if you have to ask, then you probably shouldn't.
Old April 28, 2011, 08:18 PM   #4
jhgreasemonkey

Quote:
I've finally registered, so hey to everyone

I carry a Ruger P95 DAO, no safety, had it since 95, but never keep a round in the chamber. Is it safe to carry with one in the chamber? If so, is there a chance of an accidental discharge?
I deleted my recommendation because I misread and thought we were discussing the P95DC model. Welcome aboard and enjoy!

Last edited by jhgreasemonkey; April 28, 2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old April 28, 2011, 08:21 PM   #5
jhgreasemonkey

Quote:
I really am not trying to be a smart arse but if you have to ask, then you probably shouldn't.
You're not helping anybody with responses like this. I'd like to suggest that you offer help next time please. This is someone's first post and he is being met with attitude. Not cool.
Old April 28, 2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
If he has to ask, and does, then he might very well be a responsible person taking earnest effort to be educated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhgreasemonkey
More importantly with this pistol, the proper way to carry with a round chambered would be to chamber a round and then decock the pistol.
A P95 DAO isn't the same as a P95DC.

MrEpps, I agree with purchasing a quality holster that covers the trigger. It's basically the same practice and level of safety as carrying a DAO revolver. Nobody's had the level of concern carrying a DAO and I don't see any difference just because your firearm is a semiauto.

BTW, welcome to TFL...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 28, 2011, 08:49 PM   #7
jhgreasemonkey

Quote:
A P95 DAO isn't the same as a P95DC.
OOPS! Sorry! I misread that and thought we were talking about the decock only model. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old April 28, 2011, 09:02 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Pfffft! You oughta see how many times I misread posts....

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 28, 2011, 09:10 PM   #9
publius

i carry my P94 with one in the pipe and the safety(decocker) in the fire position. I don't feel unsafe, but rather safer knowing i won't have to sweep that akward decocker up if a gremlin attacks.
Old April 28, 2011, 09:11 PM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

The P95 models all have a firing pin safety which makes them drop safe even with a round chambered.

As with any modern firearm, if you drop it or it falls, you should let fall unhindered rather than try to catch it. It's designed to be safe if it merely drops, but if you grab for it and accidentally get hold of the trigger then the results can be unpleasant as Mr. Plaxico Burress discovered.
Old April 28, 2011, 09:11 PM   #11
chris in va

Handguns are designed to be carried with a round in the chamber. The only time I ever carry my Kahr without doing so is when paddling, as it sits in my drytop pocket on my chest.
Old April 29, 2011, 09:19 AM   #12
k4swb

Quote:
You're not helping anybody with responses like this. I'd like to suggest that you offer help next time please. This is someone's first post and he is being met with attitude. Not cool.
Sorry you think I was unhelpful. Maybe I need to expand this.

If he has had the gun since 1995 and has never kept a round chambered then maybe he is still uncomfortable with the gun and probably shouldn't keep it loaded.

If someone isn't comfortable with something after 16 years, it may be too late.
Old April 29, 2011, 09:45 AM   #13
sheepman

The Ruger P95 DAO is as safe to carry a round in the chamber as a Double Action Revolver. Either should be carried in a holster that covers the trigger.

I have carried a Glock 19 in my hip pocket (empty chamber) while working in the woods on my grand parents ranch, the striker was always in the unfired condition at the end of the day. A Glock has a much shorter and lighter trigger pull than your Ruger. Carry your Ruger in a good holster that covers the trigger with confidence.

Last edited by sheepman; April 29, 2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old April 29, 2011, 10:01 AM   #14
carguychris

Quote:
If he has had the gun since 1995 and has never kept a round chambered then maybe he is still uncomfortable with the gun and probably shouldn't keep it loaded.
Cut the guy (I assume Mr = male...) some slack. There are a LOT of older handguns that are not drop-safe. Consequently, there are plenty of otherwise knowledgeable gun owners who don't understand that it's OK to carry most modern handguns with a round in the chamber.

Many of these people were taught to shoot by an older person who grew up with guns that weren't drop-safe, or was taught to keep the chamber empty while serving in the military, which AFAIK was general doctrine in all branches of the US military until relatively recently.
Quote:
The Ruger P95 DAO is as safe to carry a round in the chamber as a Double Action Revolver.
FWIW this statement is a bit misleading because not all DA revolvers are drop-safe. For instance, S&W revolvers built prior to 1917 lack a hammer block and IMHO should never be carried with a live round under the hammer. Also, the 1st-generation S&W hammer block used from 1917-1944 wasn't a very good design, and IMHO these hammer blocks should be carefully checked for proper function before one of these guns is carried.
Old April 29, 2011, 10:07 AM   #15
sheepman

"Cut the guy (I assume Mr = male...) some slack. There are a LOT of older handguns that are not drop-safe. Consequently, there are plenty of otherwise knowledgeable gun owners who don't understand that it's OK to carry most modern handguns with a round in the chamber."

I was one of these guys, and it took a long time to be comfortable with condition #1
Old April 29, 2011, 12:11 PM   #16
nefprotector

Im a BIG Ruger fan and yes it is safe to carry a round in the tube. I mean it's like carrying a revolver really with a 10 lb trigger.
Old April 29, 2011, 07:26 PM   #17
railroader

I have a decocker p95 that I keep loaded and decocked. So if I understand this correctly on the DAO model when you rack the slide, it loads the round, then the hammer follows the slide forward? If so carry it loaded. The long double action makes your gun safe enough. Just keep your finger off of the trigger untill you are ready to fire. It has a firing pin safety.
Old April 29, 2011, 08:39 PM   #18
JohnKSa
Staff

That's correct. In a DAO model, the hammer is always forward unless the shooter is in the process of pulling the trigger.
Old April 30, 2011, 11:09 AM   #19
MrEpps

Quote:
The P95 models all have a firing pin safety which makes them drop safe even with a round chambered.
this is the answer i needed. thanks everyone

Tags
p95 , ruger , safety