The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 22, 2000, 10:53 PM   #1
ChuteTheMall

Which are best? Too many titles out there from:
Hoch Hocheim
James A Keating
Kelly Worden
Somebody else? I can't afford to buy them all, and my interest is primarily self defense with pocket folders, but other stuff is interesting too.
If this topic has been beaten to death somewhere else, please show the way.

------------------
Some people have a way with words. Others not have way.
Old June 23, 2000, 02:37 AM   #2
KOG

Check out "The Defensive Edge 1 & 2" by the late Ernie Franco and one of my former mentors. It provides very basic but effective techniques. Ted LucayLucay has a 4 volume set on Kali that's good and the last tape is on knife-fighting.

I don't think there is a best way, it's part skill and a whole lot of luck sometimes and I don't ever want to find out which I have more of. There's only so many ways you can use the knife and it doesn't take a bunch of skill to become effective.

Keep simplicity and reality in mind. Another thing, videos can only show you so much and are more for a quick reference than anything. Can show you the way to do things but can't correct if you do it wrong. I personally don't waste a lot of money on a bunch of videos because I just don't really see the point as most I've seen aren't too good. I do recommend the ones above.
Old June 23, 2000, 10:33 AM   #3
Zensho

Chute: Hard to go wrong with any of the guys videos you mentioned. Maybe get a basic video from each one and see which one hits you the best. If all goes well I will attend a seminar with James Keating this summer, but I wouldnt pass on an opportunity to train with Hock or Kelly.
Old June 26, 2000, 04:49 PM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Gunsite's Edged Weapons #2 is a very good video - you can order off the website. Its worth having in your collection. www.gunsite.com