The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 29, 2011, 06:20 AM   #26
Winchester_73

Quote:
Quote:
"It may very well have been an 1877."
I'd bet it would have been a Colt Army Special or similar.

The 1877 was known to be a VERY fussy piece, easy to put out of order, while the modern side-swing cylinder Colts were a lot more reliable.
+1. Assuming that the info is correct regarding caliber, it could also have been a SAA. Perhaps Hamilton was a classy gent with a taste in firearms while being an outlaw.

Last edited by Winchester_73; April 29, 2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old April 29, 2011, 09:43 AM   #27
carguychris

Quote:
Perhaps Hamilton was a classy gent with a taste firearms while being an outlaw.
It's actually possible; Ray Hamilton was known for his expensive taste in clothing and his well-mannered and charming personality, compared to Barrow and other gang members at least. He supposedly expressed a desire to be like John Dillinger, and some modern crime writers have nicknamed him the "Gentleman Bandit". He also seems to have had a personal preference for revolvers, unlike the rest of the gang, which mostly used 12ga autoloading shotguns along with BARs and M1911s stolen from the National Guard.
Old May 4, 2011, 05:09 AM   #28
charles-smythe

the frontier six shooter was placed on the barrel instead of the caliber designation...I've had several .44-40 and could not find .44-40 on them anywhere...
Old May 4, 2011, 12:48 PM   #29
James K
Member In Memoriam

There are many stories about outlaw guns, but the fact is that Billy the Kid carried whatever I am selling at the moment. I happen to have the 9mm Glock that he used in Lincoln County and it is only...

Jim
Old May 4, 2011, 12:49 PM   #30
Hawg

Quote:
the frontier six shooter was placed on the barrel instead of the caliber designation...I've had several .44-40 and could not find .44-40 on them anywhere...
The original designation for 44-40 was 44WCF.
Old May 4, 2011, 12:52 PM   #31
Hawg

Quote:
There are many stories about outlaw guns, but the fact is that Billy the Kid carried whatever I am selling at the moment. I happen to have the 9mm Glock that he used in Lincoln County and it is only...
Bat Masterson used to buy used Colt revolvers and sell them as the one he carried in his heyday.