The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 8, 2011, 03:05 PM   #1
Silent Titan

need a scope for my rem 700

I need to get a new scope for my rem 700 .308 rifle. I will only be shooting out between 100-300 yards for now. Would the trijicon accupoint 3-9x40 mil dot be a good choice in the $500-$650 range?
Old April 8, 2011, 04:01 PM   #2
NESHOOTER

A nice choice, well suited for your targeting range.
Old April 8, 2011, 04:23 PM   #3
hooligan1

$500.00-$600.00, For that kind of jack you can get a VXII-4x12x40 AO, and never look back!
Old April 8, 2011, 09:07 PM   #4
big al hunter

Yes Trijicon is an excellent choice. As is the mil dot reticle if you understand the proper use of the mil dot it will serve you well. For the same price you can come very close to equall or slightly better with other brands, but for your stated use it should perform well. If you have any questions about the mil dot just ask and a plethora of knowledge will likely ensue.
Old April 8, 2011, 09:12 PM   #5
Cowboy_mo

I have never used a Trijicon but the reviews on them for your purposes are great.

Now, if it were me, check out the Pentax and Nitrex in 3-9 or 4-12 for less than $200 and use the savings to buy ammo and/or reloading components. I just got the Pentax and a friend has the Nitrex and they both are incredibly clear.
Old April 8, 2011, 10:31 PM   #6
mdd

Hooligan & OP, VX-II 4-12x40 ao scopes can be had NIB all day long for under $425 shipped. They are great scopes and it is one of my favorites. Especially since I picked it up off FleaBay for $330! $600 puts you square in VX-III territory.
Old April 8, 2011, 10:47 PM   #7
ElusiveRR

I like the Millett TRS-1. they can be had for about 300. great optic.
Old April 9, 2011, 12:21 AM   #8
Silent Titan

the things im really looking for is a scope with max power at like 9x-10x, mil dot, and good glass... the good glass being key. i have real issues with my vision feeling fuzzy because the glass isnt clear enough. the mil dot is second most important, i have a friend that wants to teach me how to use one and he swears that it will be a skill i enjoy having. i have a budget of 500 to 650 for a scope already, so im not looking to save money, im looking to get the most i can for that price. im welcome to any suggestions, i dont have alot of knowledge when it comes to good scopes because i was never shooting past 100 yards. i feel its time to challenge my self, i want to move into a 6mm like round to go out to 800 yards at some point. baby steps, .308 is cheap enough for me to learn on and then in the future move on.
Old April 9, 2011, 01:51 AM   #9
reconcoupe

I personally like Nikon as a cheap alternative to Leupold scopes.

I have the Monarch 4-16x42SF Mildot. It was only like 450. What I really like about Nikon is the SPOT ON program.

http://www.nikonhunting.com/SpotOnRegistration/

Great tool. Don't need to buy a scope to register and check it out. Has all production ammo and calibers you could think off, option for handloads, ballistic charts ect.
Old April 9, 2011, 07:42 AM   #10
big al hunter

If that is your budget and you are looking for other possible choices check ziess for the mil dot. I am not sure if they offer the mil dot but the glass is clear and bright in every one i have looked through. I also have a Vortex Viper that is equally clear to the ziess of the same price range. I know they offer mil dot and they have a forever warranty that is transferable and unconditional. You can buy a broken one at yard sale for ten bucks and return it for free repair or replacement. No warranty card or reciept needed. That is a company that stands by their product. The windage and elevation turrets are reset to zero with no tools required. Audible click adjust that will return to zero every time. I picked it up for $400 it is a 4-12x40 with paralax adjustment on a side knob (adjusts from 50 yards to infinty). Parallax adjust will help you at long ranges. If the Trijicon doesn't have parallax adjustment of some kind I would recommend that you find one with it if you plan on using it beyond 300 yards. Get the right gear now and you won't have to budget for it again when you decide to move out to long range.
Old April 9, 2011, 09:10 PM   #11
Scoob956

I would recommend taking a look at the sightron sIII line of scopes they have a 3.5-10x44 that is just a hair over your budget. I have the 6-24x50 on a 243 and for the money I don't think you can beat this scope. I also personally have not read a bad review on these scopes, I love mine. I purchases mine from liberty optics and they had the best price at the time, also great to deal with.
Old April 9, 2011, 10:42 PM   #12
BusGunner007

1997 NRA show in Seattle...

Remington 700 POLICE in .308
Trijicon 3-9 scope / red
HOGUE pillar-bedded stock

PERFECT combination...still available today.