The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2011, 02:56 AM   #1
Ronno

I HATE the rcbs strip prime system!

I have to say I do not like the rcbs strip primer system on the Pro 2000… I have Dillon, LEE, Hornady, MEC and RCBS… The ONLY problem has been with this RCBS Pro 2000

Tonight a friend of mine called and asked if he could come over and try out the Pro 2000 to around 400 44mags. (He is interested in buying one of these or the Dillon) I had no problem with it but I told him we will have to set it up since I only had 40s&w shell plate for it. So we ran over Cabela’s (I live 20 minutes away) and I picked up the 44spl/mag number 18 shell plate. He was bringing his dies to use.

I have had this press now since last summer and never used it. I put it together but since I already have a Dillon RL550B set up for 40s&w I just never used it. So I put the new plate on and he put his dies in, we set the dies go the powder drop working and set right. I loaded the strips with the primers and he started loading. NOTHING but trouble with the primer system… It destroyed two of the strips, it would catch and chew up the strip then we would get it out and start a new one and it would run 10 or 15 then stick and not feed again… Now there is one stuck in there and can’t get it out. I will have to take the whole feeder system apart to get this out…

SO… I can say I HATE the rcbs strip primer system…

Why would they not use a system like on the Hornady or Dillon, why try to make this with plastic strips?

Anybody had this problem and able to fix it???? At this point I am ready to just prime by hands and use the rest of the press to do everything else….

Thanks in advance for any info or a solution to this problem…!
Ronno
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (160.9 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (147.2 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (170.1 KB, 215 views)
Old March 20, 2011, 02:58 AM   #2
Ronno

Some more photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05.jpg (161.0 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00743.jpg (168.9 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (172.2 KB, 183 views)
Old March 20, 2011, 10:00 AM   #3
NC Cruffler

I initially had an issue like this with my strip feed primer system. My solution was to blow out the feed prior to use with my air gun, then lube it using dry teflon powder, run an unloaded strip through, then blow it out again. No problems since.
I still blow it out prior to use but only lube it once a month or so. Reloaded 1000 rounds of 9mm this weekend with no hang ups.

Oh, yeah, a close visual inspection of the loaded strips is essential to make sure all of the primers are seated flush with the strip. A high one will cause a jam.

Old March 20, 2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Jim243

Can't help on the problem, but just wanted to say you have one great setup there, I was turning green and it is the day AFTER St. Pat's.

Nice going, you have a couple of pennies tied up there.

Jim
Old March 20, 2011, 12:35 PM   #5
BigJakeJ1s

RCBS offers an optional tube-fed priming system for the Pro-2000.

Andy
Old March 20, 2011, 02:41 PM   #6
F. Guffey

and if I had a problem with RCBS and or with their equipment I would call RCBS, if we could not work it out i believe I would then feel like I could complain to the WWW, when it comes to presses I have more than a choice, when it comes to primer systems I have choices.

Richard Lee, the safety conscious minded Federal primer handling manufacture had nothing but good to say about strip loaders.

F. Guffey
Old March 20, 2011, 02:55 PM   #7
ethan95

I always had issues with large primers in my Hornandy LNL, i switched to and rcbs hand primer. Its nice and consistent, and never hiccups.

PS: how are you liking that LNL case trimmer/prep center?
Old March 20, 2011, 03:57 PM   #8
frumious

Sorry for your trouble. I have a Pro2000 and I like the APS. As NC Cruffler indicates, you need to make sure all the primers are pushed in far enough. Also, running a soft brush through the strip feed channel and/or blowing it out can help. I never have had to lube mine but it doesn't seem like it would hurt anything if you use a dry sort of lube.

One thing I figured out was that when you put the strip in to begin with, push it in until it clicks once and then pull it back so it makes positive contact with the feed mechanism. Don't pull it all the way out (you would break the strip), just pull till it bottoms out and then you're good.

Also, I adjust the stop on the bottom of the shellplate holder so that on the priming stroke the primer bottoms out before the stop touches the frame. I don't have any misfires now. Turns out it takes a lot of pressure to crush a primer. More than I usually exert, at least.

Definitely call RCBS if you can't get it to work right.

-cls
Old March 21, 2011, 01:19 AM   #9
GWS

The mistake you made was trying to demo a new system before you had the knowledge and experience to do so.....not at all different than attempting to demo a new an Apple computer having only experience with Microsoft.

When a friend set up his brand new Dillon 650, he loaded a 20 or so and invited me over for a demo. Bad idea.... loaded his power, primers and cases (9mm) and started cranking. Within 30 seconds he had a whole tube of primers all over the floor. oops...so he loads another tube and starts cranking. Powder going everywhere...leaking under his shell plate, and soon he apologized and said I made him nervous and he just screw the hell up.

There was nothing wrong with his Dillon...just his experience with it.

My teething experience with the Pro 2000 wasn't much better, because I wanted to demo it too. I loaded 25 rounds perfectly, then I forgot to add the next strip and the next 25 was loaded minus primers....My friend with tongue in cheek said, won't all the powder leak out?"

Once learned, the APS primer system is truly an advance. When used with CCI preloaded strips there ain't anything faster or safer. It is different for sure than what you're used to...so it requires some manual reading, some practice, and a few "don't reinvent the wheel" tips help a lot.

One first very important little tidbit in the owners manual, says to insert the strip until you hear ONE CLICK. They mean that. Then load your first case and stroke the handle down. Ram goes up and sizes the case and the primer strip indexes with the first primer under station 2. Returning the handle pushes the Ram down and the case indexes to station two above the primer. Continuing the handle towards the bench presses the first primer into the first case....simple as that.

Now lets address your problems and maybe we can salvage things.

Quote:

I have to say I do not like the rcbs strip primer system on the Pro 2000… I have Dillon, LEE, Hornady, MEC and RCBS… The ONLY problem has been with this RCBS Pro 2000

Tonight a friend of mine called and asked if he could come over and try out the Pro 2000 to around 400 44mags. (He is interested in buying one of these or the Dillon) I had no problem with it but I told him we will have to set it up since I only had 40s&w shell plate for it. So we ran over Cabela’s (I live 20 minutes away) and I picked up the 44spl/mag number 18 shell plate. He was bringing his dies to use. (bad idea...your first try with something new fangled is a demo!)

I have had this press now since last summer and never used it. I put it together but since I already have a Dillon RL550B set up for 40s&w I just never used it. So I put the new plate on and he put his dies in, we set the dies go the powder drop working and set right. I loaded the strips with the primers and he started loading. NOTHING but trouble with the primer system… It destroyed two of the strips, it would catch and chew up the strip then we would get it out and start a new one and it would run 10 or 15 then stick and not feed again… Now there is one stuck in there and can’t get it out. I will have to take the whole feeder system apart to get this out…

Maybe you will have to take it apart....or maybe you just need to use a round thing that just fits in the primer hole (in the shellplate) and push the primer back down....I have used a .223 bullet (base first) or the same diameter hex wrench.

Anyway try pushing the primer back down into the strip....then it should feed unless you've already mangled the strip, by forcing things. Don't ever try pulling a strip out backwards...things will break.

Understand that every primer in the strips all need to be flush. If one is not flush it can cause a feed problem and a stuck primer strip. The first preventative is to make sure you never put a strip in without first checking for high primers by sliding or rolling something over the strips to force all primers down. Takes a split second. I use a wide roller where I can lay 10 strips on the benchtop side-by-side and roll them all down at once, one pass.

The next scenario should never happen, but it does when the press is new and you weren't a careful reader of instructions, or you don't understand the operation. I'll explain: When you raise (return) the press handle (the shell plate lowers) the end of the that upstroke IS NOT where the shell plate bottoms out. It bottoms out when you continue into the priming stroke by pushing the press handle toward the bench.

What happens is, the shell plate continues down further, until the primer rod hits the bottom of the press and presses a primer up into the case. That's the bottom of the ram's stroke.

A problem occurs when you don't intend to prime, but you still have a strip in....and...you've slightly...even barely, pushed into that priming stroke. That results in a primer pushed slightly (a 16th or so) out of the strip. That creates a snag where the strip can't advance.......again, if you do that just push the primer back down. I keep a hex wrench the same size as the hole handy for such operator error...we'uns will never be perfect.

If you are mangling strips (I have never done that in 2 years of loading the hell out of my Pro 2000), then you are forcing things....if it ain't smooth and easy, it ain't right. Never force anything reloading....but you should already know that using your Dillon. Just remember...push in until ONE click.

If you have to take the APS system apart, and worse, you broke something, call RCBS. They will replace it free, and coach you further.

SO… I can say I HATE the rcbs strip primer system…

Why would they not use a system like on the Hornady or Dillon, why try to make this with plastic strips?

Why? Because this system is faster and safer. Tubes of primers stacked against each other are an explosion waiting to happen. Several Dillon 650 owners can vouch for that.

I swear once you learn it you will love it. If you want to load other brand of primers then you will have to use the primer loader...again take it slow until you learn it. (we're talking about day one) Once that tool is learned you can load 4 strips of 100 primers just as fast as you can peck one tube full.

Anybody had this problem and able to fix it???? At this point I am ready to just prime by hands and use the rest of the press to do everything else….

Thanks in advance for any info or a solution to this problem…!
Hope this helps....if you have questions, pm me and/or call RCBS. BTW they are very willing to send out parts fast to fix it if you've broke something. They will say, when you try to explain it was your fault, "not a problem, just give us your address."

BTW, I'm not one to be totally satisfied with anything I think I can improve. In that spirit I have a sticky thread for Pro 2000 users on AR15.com.
I built tools to take the APS system offline so I can fix loading problems without removing the strips, and also a simple tool that prevents making high primers by over stroking the upstroke. Last and best is a primer counter I built with help from a guy I met on an electronic forum...that cost me a whole $30. And now I get a beep when I need to add a strip so I can load a thousand rounds nonstop. There's a thread on that tool on the site, as well as a video to show you how it works.

Here's the Links: APS Primer System Tools

Primer Strip Sensor

Tacked Gateway Thread with all my tacked threads My RCBS related Post is 8 posts from the bottom of the first page, "RCBS STUFF".

Last edited by GWS; March 21, 2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old March 21, 2011, 06:25 AM   #10
wwmkwood

Has the OP ever used any of the equipment in the pics? Looks like a display at a gun show. I prefer the strips over any tube fed priming system. Main thing like already mentioned is to have the primers all fully seated in the strips a high anvil will stop things up real quick.
Old March 21, 2011, 11:14 AM   #11
Ronno

Well thank you everyone for the replies. I took it apart to remove the stuck strip and found out that the strip pusher that has 4 legs on it, now only has three. One was broke off and smashed in the area.

I called RCBS they are sending me the new pusher, replacing the strips that got trashed and also sending two new detent black just in case they need replaced...

Yes I should have worked with it some before just going for it... But I never had a proble ever with Dillon, Hornady, mec and even Lee so I was going on RCBS is a good brand and..... well you see what happened!

Now the broken leg of the pusher, I do not know if that was right from the start... Oh well if these new parts fix it then it will be fine, if not I will get the tube feeder system...

The L-N-L case prep center, LOVE it... I would suggest everyone get one if possible, case prep is so much faster with this unit... I don't know how I went without one!!!!

Again thank you all for the tips, advice...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 rcbs.jpg (123.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 2 rcbs.jpg (142.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 3 rcbs.jpg (246.9 KB, 70 views)
Old March 21, 2011, 11:25 AM   #12
Ronno

Has the OP ever used any of the equipment in the pics? Looks like a display at a gun show. I prefer the strips over any tube fed priming system. Main thing like already mentioned is to have the primers all fully seated in the strips a high anvil will stop things up real quick.

Yes they have been used many times but I am a person that take over protection & care,,, (Drives my wife nuts) Everything is cleaned after each use. I have even waxed these items, including my red kitchaid products in our kitchen..!

I like things to be nice forever... When I buy something, I want to buy it once and if keeping it clean and looking like new will help that, then so be it...I am that way with my starrett and snap-on tools and tool boxes also...

GWS I may take you up on your offers, thank you
Ronno
Old March 21, 2011, 12:30 PM   #13
GWS

Quote:

Yes they have been used many times but I am a person that take over protection & care,,, (Drives my wife nuts) Everything is cleaned after each use. I have even waxed these items, including my red kitchaid products in our kitchen..!

I like things to be nice forever... When I buy something, I want to buy it once and if keeping it clean and looking like new will help that, then so be it...I am that way with my starrett and snap-on tools and tool boxes also...

GWS I may take you up on your offers, thank you
Ronno
Ronno is online now Report Post
Ronno....if you ever get bored, come over to my house and Ronno-tize my loading bench!!! Mine gets cleaned once every 4 months....whether it needs it or not. Part of my problem is I'm always in the middle of a project...reloading or modding equipment.

The only thing you're missing on your perfect room is a Hornady or (RCBS) Bullet Feeder. For the RCBS Pro 2000, its like frosting....and yes I modded that as well. H.Bullet Feeder
More Bullet Feeder Mods

So you got a 550, and Pro 2000, AND a Hornady AP. You had a master plan I assume? What was the plan to reload on each? How much to you shoot and what do you like to shoot?

The Hornady Case Prep Center looks impressive....and big, but I like my motorized Forster with its 3-way cutter. Very fast. I use my RCBS Trim Mate for primer hole operations only....so in my case the Hornady product isn't needed...and a good thing too...I don't have any more bench space I want to give up. Thankfully the Trim mate is used, tucked in and slightly behind my Pro 2000 (uses no front bench space).
Old March 21, 2011, 03:37 PM   #14
hk33ka1

And us Loadmaster guys thought we had priming problems...
Old March 21, 2011, 03:42 PM   #15
Ronno

Hahaha yes I have a master plan... I have a Forster coming soon. I reload 9mm, .357mag, 40s&w, .45acp, (soon to be 44mag) .223, 30/30, 8mm, 308. Then 12ga,16ga and 20ga

I have no problem cleaning anyone bench, believe it or not I have done that in the past..! (I am just a clean freak)

The Hornady case prep station is big, bigger than I thought it was going to be...I have to admit that. But worth it!

I have a Hornady bullet feeder coming to soon... can't wait!

This room is in one corner room of my basement... that is why everything is "Close". In the next couple months I will have a 10X16 room built in the garage complete with heat/ac, steel door with prison hinges (I used to be a welder for a company that made prison doors, window, benches, and sink/toilet combos) I bought some stock equipment one year from them on inventory week… These are HEAVY DUTY and tamper proof. I also have a few locks so I will use one for this door also.

Inside the room will be three benches in a U shape then one separate one at the other end for cleaning and boresighting and work…

I will have Rifle brass and all the presses for that on one side, shotgun presses on the small end bench and then pistol brass and presses on the other long bench. It will be CLEAN and organized and I have 55 old time Winchester ad’s from the 40’s & 50’s framed and they will be on the walls…

So instead of this little room I will have room!!!
Ronno
Old March 22, 2011, 12:21 AM   #16
Ronno

I will let you know how it goes once the new parts get here...
Old March 22, 2011, 01:23 AM   #17
GWS

A Forster??? Trimmer or Press?

Quote:
I have no problem cleaning anyone's bench, believe it or not I have done that in the past..! (I am just a clean freak)
Now that I've thought about it....stay the hell away! You might give my wife some ideas about how I ought to improve!!

Quote:
I have a Hornady bullet feeder coming to soon... can't wait!
Then be sure and read my review. Mine didn't come without some problems...fixable problems mind you, but problems never the less. I like it just fine now...modified...slightly.

Sounds like your new room will be past nice. That, coupled with your equipment inventory will cause a lot of envy around here...me included. I wouldn't mind playing with all the "colors"....including Lee's brand of red. I would enjoy having a go at making a fix for Lee's troublesome Loadmaster priming system....splicing in an RCBS APS hand primer mechanism would really solve their problems! LOL! Come on, I'm serious. I would also have a blast playing with Forster's niftly single station Coax....and a Dillon 650 and 1050 would be nice. Send us pictures when you get all of that stuff added to your stash!

What exactly was your planned use for the Pro 2000? I choose mine because one press needed to do many calibers...and you can't beat that press for changing calibers. In fact...the reason I chose the Hornady Bullet Feeder was it's super simple and fast caliber changes that does really compliment the Pro 2000's quickness with changeovers....plus now I don't have to listen to the "it ain't a real progressive without a case feeder" garbage....I would rather autofeed bullets than cases....and I don't wish to autofeed both.

BTW RCBS just released a Powder-thru Expander for the Uniflow....that means an extra station is freed on the Pro 2000 if you want it. That's one less argument from Dillon owners with superiority complexes. That means one would want to buy a few bottom ends for the P.M. since it would shift from the stationary station 3 to station 2 on the removable tool head.

Please do let us know how you do with the APS system on the second try with new parts!.........and don't invite your friend for a week or so, at least!

Last edited by GWS; March 22, 2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old March 22, 2011, 02:51 AM   #18
Ronno

Forster, one of everything they make... Press Co-Ax' , trimmer (Already here), scale you name it... I already have the 8mm dies the Benchrest I think is the model...

I will be getting a Dillon 650 also either at the end of this year or begining of 2012... The Pro 2000 will be set up of one caliber, just as all of these will be... but there will be at least one that friends can come over and use (Chances are it will be the Pro 2000)if they want to they just have to bring their dies if I don't have what they need. I do have extra tool heads for both the Pro 2000 and the 550...I have the Dillon now set up for 40s&w... it is dialed in perfect... That is my master plan have one for each caliber...

I have the 366 from Hornady also coming this year and the Grand from rcbs... to add to the shotshell loading... I like to reload, shoot and clean weapons..!

You may be able to see the Forster trimmer in one of the photos, it is on the white shelf system under the LnL case prep center... Still in the box... In fact the 8mm dies are right next to it... they are in a red box also
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01405.jpg (163.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01419.jpg (188.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01403.jpg (113.5 KB, 36 views)
Old March 22, 2011, 12:45 PM   #19
GWS

So you just came into an inheritance.....and became a kid in a candy shop?!?

Be sure and order the 3-way cutters for the Forster Trimmer....so far they make 3.... in .30 cal, .22, and .243.
Old March 22, 2011, 12:54 PM   #20
Ronno

Close....
Old March 26, 2011, 01:26 AM   #21
Ronno

Ok got the package from RCBS today, new part, extra part and I had the 4 large mag strips bad so they sent me 10 new ones. So I put it all together and ran a few strips through it without primers and everything worked... Next I have to set it up for .357mag and see how it goes...

Everything was no charge, but then again it was all plastic parts so they may have 2.00 invested it all of it together...

Will let you know if it is right now once I run on it again, thank you all for the info and advice!
Ronno
Old March 26, 2011, 07:40 AM   #22
Bailey Boat

Trust me, it's not the APS system, it's YOU. Spend enough time on ONE machine to learn how it works and what NOT to do and you'll find success. The APS is, without a doubt the safest system going, bar none.
Sounds (and looks) like you're more of an equipment "collector" than a user. Nothing wrong with that but I noticed that all of your photos were of "the collection" and none of the "problem" that started the thread........
Old March 26, 2011, 01:07 PM   #23
Ronno

It may look like a collection because of the little space everything is in, but EVERYTHING there gets used very much... I just take real good care of all my "stuff"...

All has been and continues to be used. I just like things clean & neat...

Last edited by Ronno; March 27, 2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old March 27, 2011, 10:34 AM   #24
oldscot3

I have one and use it without much trouble. When primers can be bought already on the strips it's more conveinent, loading the strips is a bit tedious. These days if I'm loading 100 rounds or less I just use my handheld priming tool. If I'm loading in excess of that, I'll break out the strip primer.
Old March 28, 2011, 09:57 PM   #25
Ronno

I got everything fixed on it, RCBS sent everything needed, nice customer service I will say... Now once I try it again I will let you know how it works...