The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 13, 2011, 03:14 PM   #1
ReachHighDesign

Walther PPK Ammo Issues

Can anyone point me to a self defense round that works in the new Walther PPK’ s manufactured by Smith and Weston? I am a gun lover on sabbatical. I am in Hawaii for a stint and the gun laws are so intrusive that I have set the hobby aside. I have a lot of good information up on the net at Reach High Design-Firearms; however, I have an issue with my Walther PPK that I need some help resolving. I love the gun as you can see from my Walther PPK Review. I have really enjoyed firing it with full metal jacket plinking ammo; but, a while back when it was time to fire up and replace my self defense rounds I discovered that my Hydro-Shock round fired but failed to eject every time. I would normally get my hands on all the .380 ACP rounds on the market, find the one that worked the best and report on the results but, here in Hawaii, it is so hard to get ammo… If someone can help me out on this I will be able to order in the right ammo, get my PPK up and running as a self defense weapon, and even report on a problem solved in my review.
Old March 13, 2011, 03:38 PM   #2
sils79

My Interarms made PPK performs reliably; no failures from test box with Hornady Critical Defense. Your Smith and Weston may not, but I have had success.
Old March 13, 2011, 03:52 PM   #3
ReachHighDesign

This is the weapon we are talking about here.
Old March 13, 2011, 03:58 PM   #4
ReachHighDesign

Thanks for the info. There were some significant changes made to the design when Smith & Wesson began making the weapon. In the new PPK's being produced though Smith & Wesson, some improvements have been made to remedy design flaws that have plagued it since its origin. Newer models of the PPK are no longer prone to bite the hand that shoots them, due to an extension of the tang to a semi-beavertail to prevent the hammer spur from pinching the hand, and adding a cut to the bottom edge of the slide where it was prone to cut the web of the hand.
Old March 13, 2011, 04:44 PM   #5
sils79

Since your S&W is of a superior design then it should have no problem with the aforementioned ammunition.
Old March 13, 2011, 06:32 PM   #6
HisSoldier

Full disclosure time. I love my S&W PPK/s but the internal small parts are all MIM, just for the record. I consider investment cast far superior to MIM, but that's just my opinion. Other than that I can't fault the gun, nor find it any worse than my Interarms PPK.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old March 13, 2011, 06:39 PM   #7
David the Gnome

Two things; first of all, did you send in your PPK for the recall that S&W had for the safety? If not, they polish the feed ramp when you send it in for the recall, that could be a fix for your ammo issue. Second, the PPK was designed nearly half a century before hollow points were even commercially available. The gun was never intended to feed anything but FMJ ammunition. As such, you're going to want to either stick with FMJ ammunition or you're going to need to find a hollow point that has a very forgiving profile.

I run FMJ in my PPK, I'd rather have 100% reliability than a possible chance of expansion. I use Buffalo Bore 380 Auto +P 95gr FMJ when I carry my PPK. If you're dead set on a hollow point then I would look at Speer Gold Dots, they have a very forgiving profile that comes close to giving you a FMJ-like profile in a hollow point round.
Old March 13, 2011, 08:15 PM   #8
jsk

My S&W PPK/s is perfectly reliable with Winchester White Box FMJ for range ammo, Speer Gold Dots & Hornady XTP for HP. It will hiccup on other brands of the cheap stuff and I haven't tried any other SD rounds.
Old March 13, 2011, 08:31 PM   #9
Dfariswheel

Since all guns are individuals, recommending ammunition is rather useless.
What works in my PPK may choke yours and vise versa.
For what it's worth, all my PP series guns functioned well with Winchester Silver Tips.

Since your PPK is firing but not ejecting, it's not a feed ramp problem.
You can try giving the gun a good cleaning and plenty of fresh lube.
Make sure to scrub the chamber thoroughly.
However, I suspect that you're going to just have to experiment to find a brand and type of defense ammo that will work in your specific gun.
Old March 14, 2011, 12:04 AM   #10
ReachHighDesign

Thank you everyone for the information. I will try the Speer Gold Dots and Hornady XTP. I will post the results shortly.
Old March 14, 2011, 12:50 AM   #11
Smaug

Did you read the linked page from Buffalo Bore?

You may not believe it, but it is worth reading, nevertheless.

A flat point FMJ seems like a really good option, if it feeds well in your gun.
Old March 14, 2011, 01:21 AM   #12
ReachHighDesign

OK, I have read it now. I will add this FMJ ammo to my list. I do worry a bit about SD rounds that tout penetration as their attraction. I live in a stick house like most. Mine is full of little ones. I prefer the hollow point ammo because I want to know where my rounds will stop. Maybe a spit load of hollow point followed by these +P FMJ would be a good solution.
Old March 14, 2011, 01:28 AM   #13
Smaug

Well, I think FMJ and HPs both act the same through drywall. HP fills up and keeps going.

The only ones that are better are Glaser and that type of ammo, and even those go through a couple sheets.

There's a website called Box 'O Truth where he tests different rounds through drywal and such. I can't remember exactly how it is spelled, but it is a great read.
Old March 14, 2011, 12:50 PM   #14
ReachHighDesign

Great! Thanks. I'll check it out.

Old March 14, 2011, 01:05 PM   #15
Kreyzhorse

Thread hijack

Not to hijack this thread, but I was thinking that a PPK would be my next gun purchase. While I certainly don't need another CCW gun, I want one and normally carry either a Ruger LCP or a S&W Airweight.

I'm just curious people's thoughts on the PPK as a CCW gun? I'm assuming it's a big for pocket carry but would work great as an IWB.

Thoughts, suggestions, things to look out for?
Old March 14, 2011, 01:12 PM   #16
Dragline45

I picked up a S&W made PPK in December and have not had one problem with it. I have put about 600 rounds of random FMJ and 200 rounds of Speer Gold Dots without any FTF's or FTE. Only thing I will say is when you rack the PPK slide its pretty heavy so make sure you really get a good rack on it and dont ease it forward at all when releasing or you will jam the first round, it does get easier after a few hundred rounds though.

Quote:
I'm just curious people's thoughts on the PPK as a CCW gun? I'm assuming it's a big for pocket carry but would work great as an IWB.
Bought it for the intention of warm weather pocket carry but its just too heavy, but it is perfect for a coat pocket. It does carry very comfortably IWB though.
Old March 14, 2011, 01:58 PM   #17
Seaman

Yo ReachHighDeasign ---

Check the extractor and make sure its in good shape.

Yo Krezyhorse ---

Have 2 PPKs (one early 1930s vintage and one 1980s). They can be carried in a pocket wallet holster, IWB, or ankle holster. The pistol is heavy for its size - about 21 ounces empty, and slow coming out of the pocket, so pocket carry is not ideal. Have never carried one in a shoulder holster, tho James Bond seems to manage it.

They are a very accurate, will turn an average shooter into a very good one. The finger extension mags may get in the way if you have large hands, I swap out the plastic extensions for flat base plates, it shoots just fine with three and a half or four fingers, bottom finger under grip.

Recommend the 32 ACP over the .380 - but thats a whole other discussion.

I use standard fmj for CCW duty, it is not a big penetrator, nowhere near a 9mm, so makes a reasonable apartment gun. Have almost sold mine several times, but every once in a while when I need an excellent deep cover pistol that I can trust, I am relieved to still have a PPK.

Good luck.
Old March 14, 2011, 02:02 PM   #18
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
They are a very accurate, will turn an average shooter into a very good one. The finger extension mags may get in the way if you have large hands, I swap out the plastic extensions for flat base plates, it shoots just fine with three and a half or four fingers, bottom finger under grip.
That's a good point. I've got large paws and wondered if the extension got in the way of gooding a good grip on the gun (I have that problem with my Ruger LCP.)
Old March 14, 2011, 02:17 PM   #19
Seaman

Yo Krezyhorse ---

Forgot to mention, some folks with large hands have problems with slide bite/cut/slice, my hands (take a large size glove) have never had this problem.

If you can't check it out first, would recommend the newer S&W PPKs, they come with a longer beavertail (as pictured upstream) which protects against this.

Best of luck.
Old March 14, 2011, 02:22 PM   #20
Kreyzhorse

Thanks Seaman, appreciate the info.
Old March 14, 2011, 11:28 PM   #21
michael t

Well I don't have one of the new and improved by recall S&W PPK's But my never failed me Interarms PPK/S is really fond of Corbon DPX and the Buffalo Bore 90gr JHP. Truth is I have fired about every thing from cheap Wolf to Corbon and it shoots them all.
I pocket carry in a Don Hume pocket holster use a UBG holster for IWB .

Its a little heavy if you want ankle. carry.

Tags
self defense ammo , walther ppk