The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 20, 2011, 01:24 PM   #1
swizzle

Snake Gun??

Looking for a good snake gun for this summer. I camp where there a lot of snake and other critters and would like a good gun if it gets serious with one of those while I'm out there. I've been looking at the Rossi single shot shotguns in a .410 because of the price. Has anyone had any experience with these?

Heres the link to it...

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-deta...adcrumbseries=

If you think there is another gun that is better for a snake gun.. please dont hesitate to let me know.
Old February 20, 2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Carne Frio

CCI shotshells in 44spl work fine for snakes. Most snakes are harmless.
Old February 20, 2011, 01:30 PM   #3
egor20

I know I'll get flak for this, but you might want to look into the Taurus Judge.

Quickly runs for cover.........

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 20, 2011, 03:42 PM   #4
swizzle

I would love the taurus judge but I am in California and those guns are not legal. They also make a rifle version of the judge
Old February 20, 2011, 04:12 PM   #5
TXAZ

While the single shot Rossi is reasonable, it also assumes that you won't miss with the first shot... or you can reload while watching the advancing pi**ed off critter coming at you.

For a slight increase cost over the Rossi (and a lot less than a Judge) I'd get something like a Remington 870 as you chance for a hit is higher, and you have a second, and third, and... reprieve if you need it.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 20, 2011, 06:14 PM   #6
EdInk

I agree on getting the 870 shotgun. There are few things under 300lbs that a 12ga won't stop. All around a very handy thing to have on a camping trip.
Old February 20, 2011, 06:28 PM   #7
egor20

swizzle

Ahhhh didn't know they were illegal, then maybe a 6 shot .22 or 38 revolver with the CCI shotshells like Carne Frio mentioned. If its legal in CA the H&R 999 is a good choice, load the first three chambers with snakeshot and the next 6 with .22lr.

Not Mine:
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/8975H_R_999.jpg

I'm really thinking of getting one like this, before summer comes.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 20, 2011, 06:32 PM   #8
zippy13

As a child, the old woman up the street had a collection of rattle snake skins. I commented that she must be a pretty good shot. She replied that it was the snakes, she just shot in their general direction. They were so quick and mean that they sensed the bullet in flight, and struck at it. She claimed all the snakes she'd got had shot themselves in the head.

Here in Calif., without the Judge option, large caliber CCI shot shells work fine in handguns if your snakes won't strike at conventional loads.
Old February 20, 2011, 06:54 PM   #9
911JB

What about a snake charmer? Or are the illegal in Banafornia also?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/32500
Yes I see they are out of stock. Just using this link as a reference.
Old February 20, 2011, 07:46 PM   #10
TomChemEngineer

I agree. I carry a shotshell in the pipe of my .45 ACP 1911 GI Model, the rest in the magazine are hollow points. The shotshell is especially for a poisonous, aggressive snake. I have tested the shotshells, and they rack the slide just fine and puts the next shell into the chamber without problem.
Old February 20, 2011, 09:37 PM   #11
jmortimer

I have a Rossi .22 mag/12 gauage and the .22 mag barrel with CCI shot shells is my favorite snake gun. It blows the snake's head to pieces and a .22 mag hollow point will do the same. I shoot about 5 rattlesnakes each year on my property. In the end a .22 LR will do the job as well.
Old February 21, 2011, 01:30 AM   #12
TYM2MOTR

The Verney-Carron Snake Charmer models I and II are no longer available. The Rossi Tuffy clone is though, and like the Charmer has a Mod choke. The H&R 410 Tamer version, however, has a fixed full choke. The H&R Tamer is also available in 20 ga. with a fixed Mod choke. I have a 20 Tamer and it is nice and light / compact but the recoil is worse than a 12 ga., (and is nasty with 3" shells). When I JIC carry @ my camp it always goes as a 20 ga, but when I choose to target shoot it I Skeeter it down to a 28 ga. which makes it manageable.

Another H&R option is the 410 / 45 Long Colt Survivor. It comes with a rifled barrel screw in choke and IMO it works good as a yard / garden gun with #9 CCI 45 Long Colt shot shells, and #12 Rio 410 shot shells...but you give up the 410 slug gun for a 45 LC rifle. The + is that there are some really nice 45 LC loads (like Buffalo Bore +P's), but the - is that it really needs to be drilled / tapped for a red dot scope for using the 45's.

For a snake gun set up on the H&R's: the Tamer and Survivor furniture is interchangeable / another nice option is the ATI collapsible stock...short LOP for carrying and full LOP when shooting.
Old February 21, 2011, 07:25 AM   #13
Sassi

snake shot

All you need is a cheap old 38 special revolver, and 38 special snake shot. I have been shooting 12 to 20 poisonous snakes between March and November with this setup for years now.
Old February 21, 2011, 08:40 AM   #14
mete

Move here to NY state , all snakes are protected here ! Then you wouldn't need a snake gun.
44spl/mag shot cartridges have 1/4 oz of #9 shot and will get a snake's attention !
Old February 21, 2011, 07:26 PM   #15
medalguy

Sassi you must be near me. I kill several western diamondbacks every year with my 45 ACP shot shells, and a few with a 12 ga double, depending on where I am and where the nearest weapon is.

I like the comment about the snakes shooting themselves in the head. Several of mine have done this too but usually with the 12 double!

I want to do more than get their attention.
Old February 22, 2011, 12:03 AM   #16
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Aside. I killed a few rattlers back in the day with headshots from a 45 LC with mild loads. I missed a few also.

To the OP, find any used single shot and buy it. A 410 is fine for this. Keep a few loads nearby and go for center mass.