The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 6, 2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Rugerismisticness

New supervinci overlook

I had the chance to test drive a few boxes out of a new Vinci today. Being the honest individual and unpaid reviewer I am, here's the scoop.

Tested was a camo Super Vinci witha 26" barrel. I used B&P shells (1200fps 1oz), Supersports (1 1/8oz at 1300fps), Fiocci (7/8oz at 1200fps), and I patterned 5 rnds of Remington Nitro Steel (the 1700fps load, forgot the weight). I had jams with all shells, mainly due to the light wieght recoil spring in the action. I had Benelli Click twice, same reason. I also had one FTfeed. This gun was very whippy on the clay course and shot a 60/40 pattern. Two of these would wiegh what an 1100 or 391 does, this is an extremely light gun (~7lbs). Recoil was minimal, the comfortech stock only comes to light in heavier loads. This made the Nitro steel shoot like a breeze. Crio Chokes pattern very tight as usual, with a LM patterning better than a Remchoke in M. Patterns were very even and consistant. The barrel seems much different than other benelli barrels in terms of construction, it closest resembles a Nova barrel. The trigger is the worst I've felt on a shotgun (this one might have been defective), it was a stiff 9-11lbs. I thought I had my safety on and let the first bird go. The firing sequence has lots of vibration (as did the previously tested Vinci), I can't explain why this is (possibly the comfortech plus???). The gun stayed very clean over the 300rnds.

I see this gun excelling in an area where it needs to be carried all day, it is light and certainly designed with hunting in mind.

P.S. The Sporting and Cordoba Vinci models had better not phase out the existing Supersport and Cordoba, the Vinci platform is just inferior for clays.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:34 AM   #2
Takeum

Sounds like a great duck or goose gun but a horrible target shooter...
Old February 7, 2011, 12:38 AM   #3
Takeum

I personally would reccommend a Benelli M1 or M2 for those all around 12 gage shooters... I have owned 2 of these and they were both flawless...
Old February 7, 2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The jams will clear up, IMO, with some more shells through it.

The trigger, well, that's one part Benelli just doesn't get.....
Old February 7, 2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Rugerismisticness

I agree that it will break in, but it really needs a stronger recoil spring for comfort. Also, Benelli triggers have always been bad, but most fall around 4-6lbs and break without focus. This one was unlike any trigger I've ever felt, it was that bad.