The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 6, 2011, 05:20 PM   #1
scottishkid87

New to site, and handguns. Ruger P85???

Hey guys, I'm thinking of buying a Ruger P85 from a friend of mine. I have shot several hundred rounds through it myself in IDPA practices (just for fun to me). It is kinda a big gun, but its also the first semi auto ive shot for lengthy amount of time/ multiple times and i have somewhat adapted to it. The gun is still in great condition and very well taken care of. He is throwing in 4 magazines (2= 15rnd/ 2= 10rnd), the molded paddle holster for the gun and another for 2 of the mags, a gun bag, shooting glasses, ammo boxes (no ammo), and gun lock. He is asking $400. Ive read a few posts that say the gun is worth more to the tune of 250-300. Was wondering if 400 was a good deal with the extras?
Glad to hear your thoughts and opinions thanks!
Old February 6, 2011, 07:40 PM   #2
mactex

I wouldn't go more that $200. And that is assuming that the recall work was done on the pistol that Ruger required sometime after it was issued. Personally, I would look for a more modern gun that is still supported by its manufacturer as Ruger has discontinued all support for the P-85. If you really like the P-85 you might look for a more recently made P-89 which is basically the same pistol.
Old February 6, 2011, 07:58 PM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
He is throwing in 4 magazines (2= 15rnd/ 2= 10rnd), the molded paddle holster for the gun and another for 2 of the mags, a gun bag, shooting glasses, ammo boxes (no ammo), and gun lock. He is asking $400. Ive read a few posts that say the gun is worth more to the tune of 250-300. Was wondering if 400 was a good deal with the extras?
Glad to hear your thoughts and opinions thanks!
Eeeeek! Too high. Ruger magazines shouldn't be too hard to find. None of this stuff is hard to find, or expensive, with the possible exception of the holster.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 13, 2011, 05:01 PM   #4
scottishkid87

THANKS!

Thanks guys! Input was helpful! Decided against Ruger as he did not budge on price. Oh well for him!
Posted new thread about S&W M&P or Walther P99. Think I'm goin' with one of those two. Just a little bit more $ than his price... only for a brand new gun with better ergonomics and in .40 (and smaller... more my size) lol
Thanks again!
Old April 1, 2011, 02:27 PM   #5
JesusismyPapa

Safety Recall for P85

I have a Ruger P85 and I called Ruger about 2 weeks ago and they said they would send me a box to send my gun back in and I could choose to get free shipping, or a free 15 round mag for my trouble. The box came as promised and I have yet to send it back, cause I keep forgetting. I found out my P85 was manufactured in 1989 and was wondering if it would change the value, but I've decided to go ahead anyway. The gun is big and heavy, but it shoots very well and I like it. There is a division in the serial numbers that you should know about though, the division is at 304xxxx. Only certain magazines will fit certain serial numbers. I don't know how to distinguish because I bought some that were the wrong ones and, well, live and learn?

Tags
handgun , price , ruger , semi auto