The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 23, 2011, 02:06 PM   #1
cptnjm

Firearms Hunting Guides in Central Indiana

Hi All.

Can I please get some recommendations of good free-range hunting guides in Indiana (nearest Indy preferred) for Deer and/or Pheasant during firearms season? I live on the eastern edge of Indianapolis off Mount Comfort Road so I'm thinking one-day hunts, probably weekends.

My pheasant hunting experience was with my Dad and older brothers two or three times when I was very young. This was many years ago. I've hunted small game with buddies since then, but not very often and with little success.

I've never been deer hunting, but always wanted to; so I'd like to find someone who would include field dressing instruction and supervision / assistance if I should actually take one. (I've seen it done in videos, but like most other things, there's no substitute for doing it yourself.

For what it's worth, I want to do this not only for my own experience and hopefully to put some venison in my family's freezer, but to be able to pass the knowledge (and God willing, enthusiasm) along to my child in a few years when she's old enough to take with me. I've already given her a good start on gun safety, but the time will quickly come when she'll be old enough to take afield and I want to know where to go and what I'm doing.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Mark
Old January 23, 2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Sand Creek Kennels

If you got the land, I got the time!!
Old January 24, 2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If you go to the Hunting forum at http://www.thehighroad.org, we have a "Hunting Mentors" thread stickied at the top of the page. There may be some Indiana folks who've posted there who might be able to help.
Old January 30, 2011, 09:56 PM   #4
cptnjm

Thanks, Art. I'm on it.
Old January 31, 2011, 06:57 AM   #5
M.O.A.

the hoosier state forest is right there south of u go to it man