The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 11, 2011, 06:47 AM   #1
gregjc9

Attended our first Bowling Pin match yesterday

And what a hoot!! My 16yr old son and I had a great time. He shot his Kimber Custom Classic Target, I shot my Kimber Gold Match II and my CZ75 SA Target. My 200gr 45 and 124gr 9mm reloads worked quite nicely. I think both our best times was in the low 7s. I have a couple of vids of my son, I'll try to post up tonight. We will definatly be there for the next match!! Now to order some 10rnd Wilson mags.

Greg
Old April 11, 2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Fairfax Rod & Gun, right?

My friend Chris was there with his 7 year old. She shot for the first time, and actually hit a pin, which the range officer gave to her.

I had dinner with them last night, and she was SO proud of that pin.

I was thinking about going, but decided not to. I'm going to hit a couple later this year, though, once I get my S&W 25 and 24-3 set up for pins.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 11, 2011, 10:27 AM   #3
gregjc9

Yep, watched her nail that pin. It was a very cool thing giving that pin to her. I dont know who was more proud, her or her dad !

I dont know if Chris remember me, I was standing near him a few times with my son.

The guys running the match (Hatfields Gunsmithing) seem like a great bunch. We'll definately be going back.

Greg
Old April 11, 2011, 06:53 PM   #4
mtnbkr

Hi!

I remember you guys. Abby was extremely excited about the match and getting to shoot. She was a bit put off by the noise at first (she's sensitive to loud sounds, especially unfamiliar ones). Once she got over that, she had fun.

Chris
Old April 15, 2011, 12:48 PM   #5
NGIB

My local range used to hold them every month and it was indeed about as much fun as you could have with a pistol. Our format differed in that you shot the match head to head rather than just against a timer. The first to clear the table won the round and the best 2 of 3 tables advanced in the match. Been having a tough time holding them lately in that we lost a lot of our regular shooters. I, like most, shot a 1911...

I'm old, grumpy, and jaded - still vertical though...