The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 11, 2007, 07:38 PM   #1
yarborg

Are silencer's legal in NC?

I have seen some back and forth on this and can't get a real answer. Does anyone have a web site from either NC or the Feds that says one way or the other?

Thanks.
Old November 11, 2007, 07:47 PM   #2
rantingredneck

Yes they are legal, following the ATF procedures for NFA items. The real trick seems to be making sure you live in a county where the Cheif LEO will sign off on the paperwork. From what I hear, some will and some won't. There is also a trust method that I believe, gets you around the CLEO signature requirement.

The state AG seems to be against them and is doing everything possible to pressure County Sherriffs and Cheifs of Police not to sign off, but it is really up to your local CLEO.
Old November 11, 2007, 08:11 PM   #3
yarborg

Thanks. I'm in Charlotte so I guess my chances are pretty slim. I don't have any plans to get one...but it's nice to know that it's a possibility if I decide to.

However, I did see this document which seems to state that NC has a law against silencers. See page 25 item 10. It seems to state that a silencer or muffler of any type is considered a weapon of mass destruction. Does the NFA regulations get around state laws or am I missing something.

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf
Old November 11, 2007, 08:14 PM   #4
yarborg

I may have answered this myself by reading a bit further..

"The only persons allowed to own or possess a weapon of mass death and destruction,
as defined above, are the following:
1. persons exempted from the provisions of carrying a concealed weapon in
North Carolina, with respect to any activity lawfully engaged in while carrying
out their duties;
2. importers, manufacturers, dealers, and collectors of firearms, ammunition, or
destructive devices validly licensed under the laws of the United States or the
State of North Carolina, while lawfully engaged in activities authorized under
their licenses;
"

Notice the "or" in the law that states either NC or US licenses. I would guess that NFA would count.
Old November 11, 2007, 08:17 PM   #5
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
so I guess my chances are pretty slim.
You can purchase Quicken and use it to create a Living Trust. The Trust can then purchase NFA items without any CLEO/Law Enforcement approval. You also get out of photographs and fingerprints for your transfers.

NRA Life Member
Old November 11, 2007, 08:39 PM   #6
rantingredneck

/\ I thought that was the case. I haven't got into NFA yet, but I've got a threaded barrel for one of my .45's. I'm thinking about going there.
Old November 13, 2007, 03:24 PM   #7
GLP Standard

Hkmp5sd: Please elaborate on this
"You can purchase Quicken and use it to create a Living Trust. The Trust can then purchase NFA items without any CLEO/Law Enforcement approval. You also get out of photographs and fingerprints for your transfers."

...I know if you own a corporation, you don't need a CLEO signature to purchase a Title 2 firearm, and that it will just be registered to your corporation, but Ive never heard of this before. Talk to me like Im stupid (im really not, just new to the whole thing)
Old November 13, 2007, 08:46 PM   #8
Hkmp5sd

The NFA allows Corporations and Trusts to own NFA weapons. They are treated the same way and a Trust is easier to start and maintain.

NRA Life Member
Old December 4, 2007, 12:54 PM   #9
V4Vendetta

I live in Stokes county. Will my sherrif sign off so I can get one or will I have to go the "trust" route?

Within each one of us there is a inch of hope, of will, of integrity. We must never lose or give away that inch. For within it we are free.
Old December 5, 2007, 01:00 PM   #10
rkba_net

If I'm not mistaken NC requires one to be a LICENSED collector... a C&R license is OK even though the weapon etc is not a covered by under the C&R license...
Old December 5, 2007, 06:14 PM   #11
M3 Pilot

I'm in NC and legally owned NFA goodies before I got my C&R license. CLEO signed off with no problem.
Old December 6, 2007, 09:36 AM   #12
frogsaw

NFA Items

Yes, the trust method works. Dealers and Agents don't like to talk about it and they will not mention it because it is such a big loop-hole. If you ask about it they will explain it. You almost have to know about it to know about it, if you know what I mean. If you don't want to spend the money on an attourney, get the latest version of Quiken Will and Trust. It works very well. I am speaking from experience, not theory.

-Frogsaw
Old December 6, 2007, 07:20 PM   #13
AmesJainchill

Quote:
Thanks. I'm in Charlotte so I guess my chances are pretty slim. I don't have any plans to get one...but it's nice to know that it's a possibility if I decide to.
BTW, where do you shoot?

I'm trying to start shooting and there seems to be The Bullet Hole, another place and there's this no-rapid-fire rule in both indoor ranges, which sucks.

I know the Gastonia police allow civilians to use their rifle range Saturdays from 1 p.m.-5 p.m.

Last edited by AmesJainchill; December 6, 2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old December 23, 2007, 04:30 PM   #14
NetJnkie

If you are around Charlotte check out the Charlotte Rifle and Pistol Club.

www.cr-pc.org

We have a very nice outdoor range up to 300 yards plus plinking and combat. We also have an excellent indoor range that is open 24 hours to members.
Old December 29, 2007, 02:28 PM   #15
PAYDAY

Silencers ARE legal in NC

All class 3 weapons are legal in NC. The only thing you need to check is to make sure your county sheriff will sign off on your application. WE are a Class 3 dealer in Asheboro, NC (Randolph County). Any questions feel free to give us a call.

Payday Jewelry Loans, Inc.
336-626-7296
[email protected]
Old January 17, 2011, 04:23 PM   #16
jtrain

I just picked up my suppressor last weekend, an SAS M-47

I also have 4 Short Barreled Rifles, a 7", 2x 10.3" and a 12". I used Nolo Willmaker Pro to establish a Trust. I have been buying NFA items since 2007. They are all legal, I have four approved Title 2 Form 1's on my SBRs and a Title 2 Form 4 on my suppressor. All 5 have the $200 Stamp affixed. I live in Forsyth County NC. Our Sheriff, Schatzman is a Liberal Democrat (Weird considering he is a Former Marine), one of his deputies told me that I was not allowed to own NFA weapons in "Sheriff Schatzman's" county. Weird, I thought he was a civil servant. When I proceeded to school her on NC and Forsyth County laws she became indignant with me and said "You will never own one while Sheriff Schatzman is in charge". I said good day, did some research and 4 years later and $1000 worth of Tax Stamps, I legally own 5 NFA Registered Weapons, and Sheriff Schatzman had nothing to do with it.
The cool part about this is that the ATF/NFA will not allow you to break the law, they can and will stop every application that would violate local, federal or state laws. So it is in their best interest to follow the letter of the law as permitting an illegal purchase would be as much their fault as yours.