The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 17, 2011, 06:59 PM   #26
tyme
Staff

Yet another step in the continued social vilification of past or recreational drug users by social conservatives. That classification apparently includes Schumer, strangely enough.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old January 19, 2011, 02:07 AM   #27
jimpeel

It seems that the currently sitting president has smoked marijuana and we have the pics in addition to his own admission. I guess he would be disallowed the possession of a firearm under Schumer's rules.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old January 19, 2011, 07:39 AM   #28
alloy

Quote:
It seems that the currently sitting president has smoked marijuana and we have the pics in addition to his own admission. I guess he would be disallowed the possession of a firearm under Schumer's rules.
While we get the medical records set up for The Affordable Patient Healthcare Act over the next few years, President Obama can buy a firearm. Seems reasonable.
Once any clerk with a SSN can access needed records, we'll be able to catch earlier problems and better determinations can obviously be made at an appropriate agency.
Most of the ambiguities will eventually be worked out, but a system just isn't set up for all of this yet.
Old January 19, 2011, 09:55 AM   #29
bikerbill

If you don't have drugs in your system which can be detected by testing, WHY would you answer yes?? "Don't do drugs, kay??"
Old January 19, 2011, 05:45 PM   #30
Dead

what is there to stop a rabid anti-gun "federal official" from simply saying someone stated they took illegal drugs, even though no such statement was made? How would this play out in the courts if the "statement" was challenged? Will it come down to "he said she said"? I could see this happening frequently.
Old January 19, 2011, 11:10 PM   #31
gc70

Interesting information from the Washington Post.

Quote:
If Loughner had been put on the prohibited list in 2008, he would have remained there for one year under the rules of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which enforces federal gun law.
The article quotes John A. Strong, the FBI section chief who oversees NICS.

Quote:
Anyone can end up on the list if it can be determined that the person has abused drugs within a year, Strong said.
Old January 21, 2011, 04:12 PM   #32
J.Keefer

Pretty simplistic

Seems pretty simple to me. Don't use drugs.Drugs are illegal (except medically). If you smoke pot-illegal-always!
If I had a beer last night - legal .now if I' m an alcolholic-that's a different story.

It's like the speeders,etc. that get caught on camera and are sent fines. They bitch and moan and complain. All they have to do is follow the speed limits and traffic laws. Cameras don't bother me at all. Either do the drug laws.

Having said that, Chuck Schmers an anti-gun orifice who needs to be fought every step.Can't let him get his foot in the door!

Language, tut tut

GEM

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; January 21, 2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: bad words