The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 1, 2011, 09:49 AM   #1
WANT A LCR 22LR

SW revolver with 1/2"ish long barrel?

Somewhere along the way I came across a picture of a modern SW revolver that has what looked to be a 1/2" long barrel. The front sight was over the cylinder / top strap! Is this a real gun?

Thanks
Old January 1, 2011, 10:02 AM   #2
WC145

Is this what you're thinking of? It's a S&W PC 327 8 shot .357 snubby, they also made a similar PC 325 .45ACP.

"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old January 1, 2011, 10:27 AM   #3
Winchester_73

Quote:
The front sight was over the cylinder / top strap! Is this a real gun?
What you're claiming would in fact mean that the revolver did not have a barrel. If the gun had a standard frame, the barrel would probably have to be a full in long at least. The sight should then be placed forward the cylinder. There was a S&W, perhaps a break top that had a barrel that was 1.5 in or less I remember but its very rare.

In other words, we need a pic because we have no idea what you're referring to or if its even a S&W.
Old January 1, 2011, 10:51 AM   #4
dnovo

WC145 has it right. That IS the bbl. And yes, it shoots quite well, I use the Buffalo Bore loads designed for these extremely short bbls. Dave
Old January 1, 2011, 05:41 PM   #5
WANT A LCR 22LR

WC145, yep that is the form factor. The picture I saw had a longer front sight that went from the barrel tip to the top strap, gun was all mat silver with a orange sight if I recall correctly.

I guess in all reality the effective barrel length is more like 2" when measured from the cylinder face. Is this built on a 686 ish platform in order to get 8 shots?
Old January 1, 2011, 05:48 PM   #6
psyshack

That pic is the most expensive worthless firearm I've ever seen in my life. It's a way over priced belly gun. It's a cylinder and forcing cone. I guess fools and there money part every day. LOLOLOLOLOLOL What a waste of a good frame and action.
Old January 1, 2011, 07:09 PM   #7
Andy Taylor

It is built on the N frame. The 686 is built on the L frame. The N frame is larger than the L. The highest capacity possible in an L frame chambered for .357 is 7.
Old January 1, 2011, 07:27 PM   #8
smee78

I guess I'm a fool then because I dont care what psyshack says, I think that is a neat revolver. I think I would have to remove the lock and it would need a SS/mat looking finish but I still like it. Is that a TI cylinder? I bet that is lite weight. I guess I am a fool because my barrel is not much longer. The last pic is not mine but I love the guns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 627PC 8x.jpg (242.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 625%20pair.jpg (73.6 KB, 56 views)
Old January 1, 2011, 07:52 PM   #9
Deja vu

8 shots of 357 is nice! I would go with at least a 4 inch barrel though.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 1, 2011, 09:39 PM   #10
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

I shot a .357 magnum quite a few years ago without a barrel. Under ten feet, it was accurate enough. I didn't shoot it at greater distance, because there wasn't a way to sight it. Loud? Holy Hannah!