The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 24, 2010, 09:39 AM   #1
cmdc

Lead Sled

I just read in another post that the Lead Sled is not good to use. I was going to use one for sighting in my rifles, because I thought it would remove most of the human error factor, but won't if it will damage my rifle. Need some advice, please.
Old October 24, 2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Carne Frio

I have one and use it for long shooting sessions
because I have a bad shoulder. It takes the pain
out of it and makes for a nicer day. What problems
have you heard about the Lead Sled causing ?
It has never damaged any of my rifles.
Old October 24, 2010, 11:01 AM   #3
dawico

There are two reasons that I know of. The first is POI differences. Shooting from a solid rest and from the shoulder will give you different results. It is fine to do accuracy testing and load workups with one, but you must also shoot the gun from field positions to get used to the rifle and learn where it will hit when firing in the field. The rifle will recoil differently from a fixed rest, therefore hitting in a different spot. The second reason is putting a bunch of weight on the Lead Sled and shooting a heavy recoiling gun. If the gun cannot recoil properly, the stock must absorb all the force. This can crack the stock. This usually isn't a problem with normal guns, limited weight, and normal use.
Old October 24, 2010, 11:22 AM   #4
cmdc

Someone in the Rifle forum mentioned in passing that it would damage the stock, because of the reason stated above, that the recoil is all absorbed by the stock. He said some custom stock manufacturers advise against the use of the Lead Sled for that reason.

I just bought one at Cabela's, but am thinking of exchanging it for a more stock-friendly rest, unless you guys think that, as one of you already said, it won't hurt anything with limited use.
Old October 27, 2010, 07:05 AM   #5
DANNY-L

I have used one for the past 6yrs and I have never had any issues,there a great item to use.
Old October 28, 2010, 10:49 PM   #6
dumbodave

lead sled

I bought myself one for Christmas last year. I've been shooting with it all summer. Big day for me is maybe 50 rounds. I have shot .243, .264. 7mm and .308. I don't ever bother with extra weight. Just as it is is perfect for me - no felt recoil at all. The rifle does jump a bit and you have to re-adjust your stance after every shot, but that's no big deal. What I love about it is absolutely NO crosshair movement on target. I got so tired of watching my crosshairs dance to my pulse.
I've probably gone through a thousand primers this spring and summer doing some load developement. I just LOVE my Caldwell!