The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 10, 2010, 06:28 PM   #1
FlyLow

Savage Fox BSE

I just picked up a Savage Fox here locally and have a question. The receiver is stamped Fox BSE-c, but the barrel is stamped with Fox Model B. The right barrel has 7u and the left has 13u stamped on it. I can not fin a serial number anywhere on it, so am assuming it is pre 1968.

Is the a complete gun or one that someone put together using parts from seperate guns? The receiver also appears to be a different color than the barrels. Would this be normal? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old October 10, 2010, 07:13 PM   #2
oneounceload

Pics would help - as to the color difference - is the receiver a "rainbow" type of coloration? If so, that is CCH or case colored hardening - a good thing.

I have a BSE in 20, but mine has a serial number

Sorry I can't add any more -perhaps if you could post a pic or two
Old October 10, 2010, 08:39 PM   #3
FlyLow

No, the receiver looks like it is more of a "painted" finish. Possibly blued, but it is much darker than the barrel. Let me check on getting some photos. My camera is having issues right now, but I might be able to take some with my phone.

Is there any special way to find out if it is truly blued?
Old October 11, 2010, 09:15 AM   #4
johnbt

If the receiver is darker than the barrels it's what they called a satin black finish. I had an early '60s Model B that had the case color finish, but the more expensive Model BSE single trigger/ejector version came with satin black.

What the heck, let's check my memory. Okay, the '67 Shooter's Bible agrees on the frame colors. Whew.

List prices: Model BSE - $137.50, Model B - $114.50.

(fwiw, McDonalds in D.C. was paying $1.15 per hour back then.)
Old October 11, 2010, 09:22 AM   #5
johnbt

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...152512&start=0

See the 5th post, it narrows down the date.

"For 1966 the satin chrome BDE was gone. There was a BSE with ejectors, non-selective single trigger, satin black finish, white-line butt plate and grip cap, beavertail and ventilated rib. The Model B had double triggers, was case hardened, had a ventilated rib, and now a beavertail. Both guns now featured impressed stamped checkering. For 1967, 8 and 9 the offerings were the same. The gun control act of 1968 required Savage to start putting serial numbers on these guns."
Old October 11, 2010, 10:19 AM   #6
FlyLow

Great info there. I appreciate it very much!

Do you happen to know if the barrel is the matching barrel where it is stamped with Model B only and not BSE like the receiver?
Old October 11, 2010, 10:28 AM   #7
oneounceload

That's interesting John - my 20 gauge BSE has the case hardened colors - mine dates from the early 80's when I bought it new.