The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 18, 2010, 12:40 PM   #1
weerdwally

herters super model 3 need help

have just gotten a super model 3 with no info for setting up have 30/06 dies but will not cycle. push down on the handle and it just stops! would appreciate any help or info. thanks!
Old September 18, 2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

This article gives a general description of the Herters presses. Googling brings up a bunch of other articles and forum threads.

You may want to buy the adapter for accepting standard shell holders. Ch4D used to sell them. Check there.

The mechanics of the ram sticking is curious. I believe those pressed have a detent ball of some kind for keeping the arm up? If that was gone or messed up in some way, I suppose it might jam it? Other than that, I'd have to look at the thing to figure it out.

Try PM'ing board member F. Guffey. I believe he has a number of older presses and may be familiar with your's?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; September 19, 2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old September 18, 2010, 07:10 PM   #3
wncchester

I had a Herter #3 briefly in the late 60s, had a buddy who also had one, neither had detents. Mine was a press like any other, no special instructions needed really. If the ram stops there almost has to be rust inside the body doing it.

Take it apart and clean it, oil the moving surfaces and you'll have a good press.
Old September 19, 2010, 07:41 AM   #4
Kevin Rohrer

Super 3 is Okay

I have a Super 3 and after cleaning, it worked fine. Spent primers tend to get stuck in the ram arm, so your problem may be a combination of rust and stuff stuck in it.

Clean it, lube the arm with a light lubricant like Breakfree, Rem Oil, etc. and put it back together.

And CH does sell universal shellholders that fit the Super 3. They grace several of my old presses.

www.ch/4d.com

Here is mine. I oiled the exterior with Breakfree and it looks like new.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old September 19, 2010, 12:08 PM   #5
weerdwally

super 3

thanks for the info! its not the arm that sticking. its when it deprimes then the case will go no further into the die.
Old September 19, 2010, 03:13 PM   #6
maggys drawers

Are you lubricating your cases before you deprime/resize ?
Old September 19, 2010, 03:23 PM   #7
F. Guffey

Check the cross pins that attach the link, handle and ram, some float and can stop the ram dead, other problems are created when the user tightens the (shell holder) set screws to the ram, if care is not used the top of the ram can spread. If there is a problem raising the ram when removing primers check for Berdan primers or dirt, grit and grime inside the case.

Super # 3 and detents, the last model Super #3 had a detent, models before that could have a detent added., and all of my Herters are cam over presses, put another way all of my Herters are bump/bump presses.

F. Guffey
Old September 19, 2010, 04:21 PM   #8
weerdwally

thanks!!!

shot some lubricant on the "swedger" ahead of the pin and it is working great now. Should I set the depth of the dies to just touch the shell holder or do they need to go a litttle deeper? thank you everyone for the help! and yes i was lubricating the cases. thanks!
Old September 19, 2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Glad the lube fixed it. The normal practice is to turn the die in a little past contact to preload the contact force a little above the level needed to size the case. That way, if one case is a little harder than another you still get the press closed all the way so you still get complete sizing. You can check this with a flashlight. Just run an unsized and lubed case all the way up, then use a flashlight to look for a crack of light between the die and the shell holder. If you have one, the die isn't turned in quite enough. If you don't, you can experiment with backing it out until you do to learn how your press, specifically, stretches, and how much added turn-in it needs?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 19, 2010, 07:29 PM   #10
weerdwally

thak you very much everyone!!