The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 2010, 09:53 PM   #1
totaldla

Wolf LP Magnum primers Suck

I measured some - they were too short. Didn't meet SAAMI minimum. I've tested them in 44 mag using common ball powders (W296/H110, AA#9, Enforcer) and they are horrible - way too weak to reliably ignite those powders. Wolf LP Magnum are so bad that they don't work very well in 45acp with Silhouette (WAP) either. They really are a very bad primer - avoid.

I've seen these primers going cheap ($18/1000), but I'm warning you - they suck.
Old September 6, 2010, 10:08 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I have not used the magnum primers. Thier large pistol primers have worked fine for me. I have loaded .45 acp, and .41 mag with them. They have all gone off. No duds in 5 thousand that I have used. They were all I could get and find for qute a while. The ones I have used worked just fine for H-110, and AA#9.
Old September 6, 2010, 10:25 PM   #3
totaldla

Yep, the regular large pistol have worked fine for me too. Unfortunately I made the mistake of buying some magnum primers during the height of the Bosama scare. I've tested these things and they suck.

SAAMI spec on a large pistol primer is 0.118" - 0.122". The Wolf large pistol magnums are 0.116".

Now I thought that being too short might be causing some of my S&W 44 mag problems since S&W revolvers have a pretty wimpy ignition system. So I tried them in 45acp where my 1911s have massive firing pins that can crush the primer of a round laying on the ground But I got the same erratic, wimpy, crappy results using Ramshot Silhouette powder. So I'm convinced that Wolf shipped CRAP to the US.

Wolf LPM suck. Avoid them. End of public service announcement.
Old September 6, 2010, 10:59 PM   #4
Bamashooter

i use their small rifle magnum primers alot. never had an issue with them. maybe you just got hold of some bad ones. maybe some one made a QC mistake. no reason to bash them based on one batch. well, maybe enough to bash them but write them off ?
Old September 6, 2010, 11:34 PM   #5
res45

I've used everyone primers to a large degree except for Remington for some reason nobody carries those around here very often. Anyway I have went through plenty of Wolf primers of all variety except SR or SRM and haven't had any problems.

They all went bangs in bolt and lever guns and semi auto rifles and pistols from both American and foreign mfg. Like anything it's possible to get a bad lot.
Old September 7, 2010, 06:53 AM   #6
zombie44

I've tried the Wolf large pistol primers, they were somewhat harder to seat but all went bang so far. Powders used were 2400, AA#9 and Blue Dot. Also they're packaged the wrong side up so I have to flip them twice into my hand primer
Old September 7, 2010, 09:50 AM   #7
floydster

Me no have trouble Wolf-Tula primer-me shoot tousands.
Me like dem.
Old September 7, 2010, 09:55 AM   #8
abber

Federal, Remington, and CCI are the only names I trust, and in the order listed. CCI only comes in last because they are a little harder than the others, and can produce light strikes in modified guns. I have had no trouble with them in stock guns.
Old September 7, 2010, 10:13 AM   #9
Uncle Buck

I have used both Wolf Large Pistol and Wolf Magnum large pistol primers with no problems.

Write to Wolf and give them the lot number and explain the problems you have had. I had read here on the forum that they have a pretty good customer service department and will try to help you out.

Phone: (888) 757-9653 (They are in California.)

Or e-mail them: http://199.238.132.208/index.php?opt...id=2&Itemid=20

Last edited by Uncle Buck; September 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old September 7, 2010, 10:17 AM   #10
totaldla

Remember - the subject is Wolf Large Pistol MAGNUM primers. Experience with other primers doesn't count.
Old September 7, 2010, 11:12 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

This discussion is about the performance, or lack there of, of Wolf's Large Pistol Magnum primers.

Not about how you're an unpatriotic job-stealing communist-hugging economy killing SOB for buying something made outside the United States.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 7, 2010, 11:27 AM   #12
Xfire68

Well said Mike!

I have not tried Wolf anything as they don't sell it at the places I buy most of my primers and powder. CCI and Federal are at the top of my list but, Federal is a bit on the soft side. I did but some Megatech SP primers which all have worked fine but, found out after the fact where they were made.
Old September 7, 2010, 12:46 PM   #13
totaldla

Thanks Uncle_Buck! I will give them a call and see if they will relieve some of my pain. I would be happy to take their regular LP primers in exchange.
Old September 7, 2010, 04:56 PM   #14
chris in va

I've also had really bad luck with Wolf SP and LP for my 9mm and 45. One in 20 will misfire with a light primer strike, and I had one be a complete dud which frankly is the first one I've had after loading roughly 6000 rounds with other primers (mostly CCI).
Old September 8, 2010, 11:56 PM   #15
Pathfinder45

I apologize.....

I'm back. I apologize for my comments that were deleted. When you buy something you have a right to expect good service/quality from the product wherever it's made.