The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 1, 2010, 07:52 AM   #1
Ray33

Acid Attacks

Here's an article about a guy who just threw acid into some random woman's face. It seems to be totally random, is there anyway to protect against these kinds of attacks?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38949288...me_and_courts/

The only thing I can think of is just being aware of who's around you and if someone approaches with a cup or something carrying liquid to back away. If the person keeps following you to try to get to a populated area and contact the police and if need be engage the attacker with your CCW.

I believe that this kind of attack could justify the use of a CCW considering that it can cause serious injury.
Old September 1, 2010, 08:23 AM   #2
ClayInTx

It was a woman who threw the acid.

I smell jealousy.

A cup of acid is going to be difficult to spot but I wouldn’t hesitate to use my gun if someone persisted in following me in a suspicious manner.

Now do I have to stay away from Starbucks?
Old September 1, 2010, 08:35 AM   #3
Jimmy10mm

What a terrible thing. My heart goes out to that poor girl. I only hope the perpetrator is caught and punished to the maximum.
Old September 1, 2010, 08:37 AM   #4
Skans

Random attacks where the perp just wants to kill / do damage to someone is going to be very hard, if not impossible, to defend against. This could just have easily been someone driving down a road who decided to plow her vehicle into someone standing on a sidewalk for no reason.

Your only defense is to not live in large cities where there are mean crazy people.
Old September 1, 2010, 08:48 AM   #5
ChrisWNY

Yep, not much you can do to defend against an unprovoked, random attack from another person. Imagine if the offender (woman) had a concealed firearm and shot the victim in the face. Best defense is for society to be sufficiently educated to readily recognize when someone has a serious mental or emotional disorder; rather than just ignoring them, take action and get them the help they need before they have a chance to harm someone else.
Old September 1, 2010, 08:50 AM   #6
Jimmy10mm

Quote:
Your only defense is to not live in large cities where there are mean crazy people.
There are plenty of mean crazies in the rural areas as well. Ed Gein comes to mind. It is almost like swimming in the ocean. There are very few shark attacks but all it takes is one. As a previous poster said, being vigilant and armed is about all I can think of to do.
Old September 1, 2010, 09:12 AM   #7
rattletrap1970

Someone just watch some retro movies?

"Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon"
Old September 1, 2010, 09:27 AM   #8
comn-cents

Jimmy
This is not a big city. I lived about 3 miles from where this happened.

Downtown Vancouver is a very pleasant place. The woman that this happened to said she didn't know the woman who did this. She walk up to her a said hi pretty girl offered her a drink, the victim declined and she threw the crap on her face. The victim had just bought a pare of sunglasses and they say this is what saved her eyes.

Defence? There really isn't one unless you you never go outside. Some people just suck.
Old September 1, 2010, 10:44 AM   #9
Eagle0711

This is really sad. As mentoined hard to defend against. The world is a dangerous place. Awareness is you best defense and leaving space between you and anyone that could be hidden. At least you have the reactionary gap to respond.
Old September 1, 2010, 10:51 AM   #10
sakeneko

Vancouver, Washington isn't a big city. Right across the Columbia River, however, is Portland, Oregon, which *is* a big city. :/
Old September 1, 2010, 11:08 AM   #11
old bear

Quote:
is there anyway to protect against these kinds of attacks?
No.

Sadly there are some very disturbed people loose in our society, many of whom, need treatment but are unable to receive it, do to government spending cut backs. I also fear that as the economy worsens there will be an increase of disenfranchised folks who may be pushed over the edge, and we will see an increase in what has been considered unacceptable behaviors.

Hope the above in incorrect, yet?
Old September 1, 2010, 11:41 AM   #12
siggygirl

Old Bear, I agree. This is just the stuff that hit the major news networks. In big cities we have all kinds of crime like this going on, due to the entire decimation of our healthcare system and safety net for folks in need. Anybody in LE disagree here? How full are your places with mentally ill?
Old September 1, 2010, 12:42 PM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

This not a tactical discussion - Social policy is not our thing.

It is clear that you can't really have a defense against a surprise attack from someone who is not giving off any warning signs.

It is clear that such an attack is one that produces grievious bodily harm and can be replied to with lethal force.

That's it.

Closed.