The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old August 31, 2010, 12:32 PM   #1
armoredman

Some days it all just comes together...

Today was it. I woke up fully refreshed, feeling good, knee didn't hurt at all, son was a VERY good boy getting out himself to school, and I had time to play. Best thing was, that very addictive online game that grabs me sometimes was offline...gee darn.
LOAD 'EM UP!

Out the door I went, to see how my vz-58 would handle some good cast boolits at 50 yards. I chose 50 as a good starting point, plus the longer range was busy. So the 75 yards sight in range was ALL mine!

First, to change to a 50 yard zero with the EOTech. No problem.

Now, many of you are used to seeing this type of target in my posts, generic representative posted here...

NOT TODAY!

Here was sight in with jacketed bullets. Zombie hunter, baby!

Great 3 round sight in group, but zombies can't be killed with neck shots...yes, that's 3 rounds!

That's better. Uh oh, ran out of zombie targets, what next? Warsaw Pact soldier targets from Finland! Yes, I do realize how awkward this was for my former Warsaw Pact rifle...I'll let the targets do the talking. Time for CAST!

Switch, to the original charging soldier target! This is a very narrow target at 50 yards, the head is the same size as the dot on the EOTech.

Old August 31, 2010, 12:33 PM   #2
armoredman

Just as people said on castboolits.gunloads.com the last time I tried this with the CZ-527, over 19 grains seemed to fly apart, driving the boolit a bit too fast for that weight, so this was the best group from that loading.

Not, bad but what if this was the only ammo I had, and I was defending myself? OK, not a great choice, but I ran the remaining 16 rounds standing rapid fire, just because. Hey, I found a black B-27! Cool!

Not bad! Heavy slow slug, might do some damage. Shot with the pull the trigger as soon as the red dot went center of mass method.

All in all, a great range trip!

Then to home, and the cleaning kit. *Gulp!*

The bore looked terrible, and I figured I had leading all over the place. I broke out the real 30 caliber kit, not the Boresnake, some Hoppes #9 and Weapon Shield. Guess what. Boresnake wasn't doing as good as I thought. MANY dirty patches later, bore looks quite nice, and very little leading found.

This is a GREAT way to start the day!
Old August 31, 2010, 02:42 PM   #3
snuffy

I had to do a search to figure out what you were shooting. I need to get out more, wasn't familiar with the weapon.

.7.62X39 huh? I have the lee 160 grainer that I use in my 7.62X54. I often wondered how it would do in the X39. A buddy has an AK, and the dies, I should borry it to do a little project. He says he's gonna do it, but a recent new baby happened, so I know that's not gonna happen!

Any idea what the velocity was? I wonder about the powder selection, if it's getting up to proper pressure. I would try some faster powder myself.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 31, 2010, 06:00 PM   #4
armoredman

I don't have a chrony any more, no idea what the velocity was, but it wasn't going anywhere in a real hurry. Inhyave a few other powders to try, but I have the most of AA#1680. Looking at getting a 130 grain mould, maybe. I was happy that the rifle worked well with this load. Just started experimenting with this bullet in this rifle, it's mainly used to the 123gr Sp and FMJ.
Old August 31, 2010, 07:37 PM   #5
TXGunNut

Not sure what lube or alloy you were using but it sounds like you're on to something. Good job! And to think I wasted the day at work.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 31, 2010, 07:44 PM   #6
armoredman

Just realized one pic says 185 grains of powder! I think that would grenade the rifle! Was SUPPOSED to be 18.5 grains...
Alloy is straight wheel weight metal, lube is a light coating of straight Lee Liquid Alox. Yep, I plan on investigating this a lot more!
My work schedule sometimes allows me to hit the range in the morning, during the week, when it's usually not too crowded.
Old August 31, 2010, 08:31 PM   #7
TXGunNut

I think we figured out what you meant.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 31, 2010, 09:16 PM   #8
armoredman

Sorry, snuffy, this is the rifle.