The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 21, 2000, 05:27 PM   #1
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Ok so I'm taking my IDPA safty course weds andi was reading the rules about what you can shoot in which category.

I found it really interesting that you CAN'T shoot a 1911 Auto in "stock service pistol" class. I mean REALLY until we hand wondernines and uberglocks and such... ALL WE HAD was 1911's and the occasional war capture 9mm, and then Smith and wesson went and started making guns in that funny european caliber.

OH and my Hi-Power has to be shot in "modified" service class becuase its single action.

Am I missing something here??

Gun Designs from the ww1-ww2 era (1911 and hi power) aren't "stock" even if they are. And "double actions" are common.

I always thought it was HARDER to learn to shoot da/sa than it was to shoot the same pull every time.

AND Now.. I'm wondering where the HELL my custom colt 1991a1/seecamp conversion DA 45 auto will fit in the rules.. if at all??

oh well... just thought I'd mention it.

Dr.Rob
Old February 21, 2000, 06:19 PM   #2
jfrancis

The Stock Service, Enhanced Service and Custom Defensive divisions are separated because in ease of shooting, IDPA considers:

Single action 9 mm caliber gun > single action .45 > all double actions.

This is reflected in the qualifying scores for each division.

John Francis
Old February 22, 2000, 08:06 AM   #3
Skip

Right. The IDPA rules are silly. Probably no sillier, though, than USPSA "practical" shooting (oh sure, I'll use my Safariland competition holster and mag holders as my carry rig - <yuk> <yuk> ). The reason IDPA silliness may seem a little more offensive than USPSA silliness is because IDPA claims to be free from such things. I guess it's like all sports. It starts out with a connection to real, practical skills, but then the desire to win overcomes the desire to be practical, and the whole venture turns into a game (in the positive sense of the word). I say just relax and enjoy whichever game you have the most fun at.
Old February 22, 2000, 11:54 PM   #4
Tony N
Staff Alumnus

'Round here they say that IDPA stands for "It Doesn't Please Anybody."

IDPA got dropped locally because the host thought that it wasn't "practical/tactical" enough.
However, IDPA is coming back to my area. Any interested Western Washington shooters can drop me line and I will give you the details.

Once you get all the rules figured out it really is a fun sport.

[This message has been edited by Tony N (edited February 23, 2000).]
Old February 23, 2000, 10:47 AM   #5
DMSC

Compared to the rule books of some other sports (both with firearms and with out), IDPA has very simple rules.
Old February 23, 2000, 05:25 PM   #6
G. Kennedy

Go to www.idpa.com and read the purpose of it. It is for shooting practical self defense scenarios in a "sporting" atmosphere.

The reason for the different divisions is for a level playing field. Unless your Jerry Miculek you cannot compete on the same level if you're shooting your Model 66 double action and someone else is shooting a single action Hi-Power.

To have any kind of organization you will have rules. If you can't live with the rules of IDPA, work to change them or just live with them. You will always have people looking for ways to "game it". I just go and shoot it as much as possible like I would for real and when it comes to others make sure they're abiding by the "spirit of the game", IDPA rules, and that they're SAFE...
Old February 23, 2000, 06:21 PM   #7
John Forsyth

IDPA is about taking the equipment out of the equation. You can take a box stock pistol or revolver and be competative at an IDPA match.

IDPA is also flexible enough so that drills or scenarios that may be the thing at my club ,while they may not be at yours, are still within the bounds of the rules. We are in Tennessee, a shall issue state for carry permits. Just about everybody in our club has one. We shoot almost everything from concealment. Our scenarios are geared towards concealed carry.

You may live in a state where concealed carry is not possible legally. You may want to do scenarios more directed towards home defence or shooting drills. That's OK.

The rules are open enough so that clubs have the leeway to do this, and that shooters can come and shoot without having to worry about an equipment race.

Are there any gamers out there? Yep, there sure are. But it does not matter. What is important is to go out and learn and have fun doing it.

------------------
John
(formerly johnboy)
Old February 23, 2000, 10:37 PM   #8
Ned Roundtree

IDPA may not be perfect but it tries to approximate street carry scenarios while still play a practice game. It is very popular at my club and growing by leaps and bounds. In a state where folks take their concealed carry serious, the practice is a state of mind. IDPA has surpassed IPSC in attendance here.
Old February 24, 2000, 04:35 AM   #9
Covert Mission

The rules on guns at first may seem silly, but they are logical. The idea is to keep types of guns together in same the class. Big bore single-action autos together. Med. bore S/A's together. DA's/DAO's/Glocks together.

Within each class there is some competitive advantage to possibly be had, if that's your thing. In SSP, for ex., the 9mm Glock shooters may have an advantage over .40 shooters, due to the lower power factor of 9mm. It's the shooter's choice, of course.

I personally think the 9mm Glock shooters have an advantage with lower recoil over .45 CDP shooters and their better trigger (not an advantage at most combat distances, imo). The scoring parameters as determined by the IDPA Board doesn't agree with that, it seems.

The nice thing at my club is that people aren't fascists about the rules. Rare tech inspections. If someone wants to "cheat", they'll be discovered soon enough. It's really to their disadvantage anyway. I would say the biggest problem, imo, is people not shooting in the class they should be in. Staying in lower ranks in order to win more. Not much you can do about it, i guess.
Old February 24, 2000, 11:48 AM   #10
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Well after taking my safety class weds night (which was pretty cool) Kathryn also attended I'll be attending my first match saturday. Wish me luck I'll be shooting in the CSP class with my seecamp-triggered 1991a1.

I'm ALSO seriously considering the RIFLE course they are setting up. THAT looks like serious fun.

Dr.Rob

[This message has been edited by Dr.Rob (edited February 24, 2000).]
Old February 24, 2000, 12:16 PM   #11
Morgan

Rob - bring your rifle! The rifle and shotgun stages are great fun. They also show why you'd never use a handgun when you've got a long gun about .

See ya Saturday!
Old February 26, 2000, 02:21 PM   #12
KyTac

IPSC and IDPA have their shortcomings, to be sure, but to dismiss either as only a worthless game misses the point. YOU decide what gun to shoot, what holster to wear, whether or not to use cover, etc.

There is NO rule in IPSC that mandates that you MUST use a pure race rig. At least one GrandMaster uses an inside the pants holster,proving it's his skill, not equipment.

Those that smugly put down IPSC/IDPA sometimes say that they "set up their own courses of fire" instead. When questioned, these "courses of fire" are extremely lacking in many ways.

Then there are the people that do NOTHING as an alternative.

Anything that gets Joe Schmuck off the couch and on the range is a good thing !