The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 4, 2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Posts: 58
Internet Site For S&W .38 Special revolver Parts?

One of the revolvers in the attached picture (the snubbie) is missing the button used to unlock the cylinder. The post and threads still look ok. Is there a web site where I could order this part or do I need to go to a gunsmith? Does anyone know what "Model" this S&W is called? The box for the larger pistol says, "Military & Police" but the smaller pistol only says, Smith & Wesson" and the serial number. Thanks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg J&K Frames (Small).jpg (41.4 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by daisey53; July 4, 2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Add Picture...
daisey53 is offline  
Old July 4, 2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: February 13, 2006
Location: Washington state
Posts: 12,865
The piece you are looking for is called a thumbpiece, and is available from Smith & Wesson or from a parts supply house like Numrich Arms. Here is a link to the part. You will also need the thumbpiece screw.

Depending on the vintage of your S&W J frame revolver, there may be other parts required. The Customer Service people at Numrich can help you determine which one you need. If you are uncertain how to install the parts, take your revolver to a gunsmith.
Never try to educate someone who resists knowledge at all costs.
But what do I know?
Summit Arms Services
Taylor Machine
Scorch is offline  
Old July 5, 2010, 01:19 AM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: November 28, 2004
Location: Silicon Valley, Ca
Posts: 7,117
Scorch beat me to it. Numrich is one of the biggest parts houses. If you can't find the part you need from them, post another query here and I'll give you a few other places to look.
BillCA in CA (Unfortunately)
BillCA is offline  
Old July 5, 2010, 06:21 AM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: August 24, 2001
Location: LC, Ca
Posts: 1,840
From gunpartscorp
thumbpiece original style, blue $16.85
thumbpiece nut, blue $5.70

or from Brownells
thumbpiece nut, blue $4.99
thumbpiece new teardrop shape (not original), blue $15.99

Last edited by DnPRK; July 5, 2010 at 06:26 AM.
DnPRK is offline  
Old March 2, 2015, 01:43 AM   #5
Junior Member
Join Date: March 1, 2015
Posts: 1
1880 s&w .38 special

I have a smith &Wesson 1880 .38 special revolver. The screw on the side panel is missing and I'm trying to find somewhere I can order one. Does anyone have any ideas?
tundra06 is offline  
Old March 2, 2015, 02:08 AM   #6
James K
Join Date: March 17, 1999
Posts: 24,160
See above for Gun Parts Corp. Provide the model number (if there is one).

Daisey53's gun is a Smith & Wesson Model 36.

Jim K
James K is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2017 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.08185 seconds with 8 queries