The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 3, 2010, 08:36 PM   #26
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
It sounds like your co-worker wants to back out of the deal after it has already been done and is just making up stories to justify it.
Yep. He wants it back.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:55 PM   #27
1-DAB

read most of the replies, so if i'm repeating one, sorry.

he wants his gun back. sell it to him for 2x what you paid for it. demand cash. see how serious he is.

if he forks over the $$, avoid him going forward and go buy another gun with your new found $$.

if he resists, tell him to buzz off.
Old June 4, 2010, 01:34 AM   #28
Chrz

I talked to him today. He pulled the "Do it as a favor to me" routine. I told him no. I don't want my money back, I want to keep the pistol.

Then he gave a big sigh and asked me to think about it. Then I said, while playing along with his game of the dealer-said-this the-dealer-said-that, "The dealer doesn't deserve to be rewarded with possession of this pistol for all the bull (EXPLICIT) that he's been feeding you and I. So again, my answer is 'No'.".

I know he's going to try again in the next day or two.

I'm keeping it, that's final.
Old June 4, 2010, 06:53 AM   #29
blume357

I scanned through all this and agree you are handling it right...

the thing that concerns me is the co-workers persistence.... something for sure is going on.... are you absolutely sure he was the legal owner of the gun? I wonder if possibly he 'borrowed' it or something and now needs to return it?
Old June 4, 2010, 07:32 AM   #30
Don P

If he has a copy of the sales agreement as you should and have stated you have one then if anything were to happen down the road all he does is show the bill of sale to the LE questioning him about the gun and then they come to you.

Quote:
This is a co worker, right? You ought to consider contacting your company management (and HR dept., if you have one) and explaining the situation. And do it before he does...

Explain that you made a good faith, legal private transaction, and now the guy is harassing you about it, at work. No matter how this plays out (and based on your info, it would seem you are in the right), your coworker bothering you about it could constitute a "hostile work environment".

It is not impossible either he, or you could wind up losing your job, if this incident gets blown out of proportion. Consider getting your side on the record with your employer, first. That way, should he try to use your employment as a lever to force the return of the Ruger (unlikely, but not impossible), having your side on file could make the difference.

Good Luck.
Being a former manager this is some of the best advise in the above quote. I have seen people lose their jobs over private issues not even involving deadly weapons.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 4, 2010, 09:36 AM   #31
Chrz

We both have copies of the sales agreement, and he was the legal owner of the firearm. When i bought it from him, he showed me his receipt from where he bought it.

It had the location of the purchase, serial number, price he paid, his card number, and his name on it.

And since several people are saying it's a good idea to talk to management, I probably will
Old June 4, 2010, 09:44 AM   #32
Glenn E. Meyer

Yeah, tell management and call the BATFE. You are covered, you owe him nothing.
Old June 4, 2010, 01:43 PM   #33
Chrz

The situation has been resolved, management was informed and aware of what was going on and will be notified should it become a problem again. I have a friend who works for the Dallas Field Office of the BATFE, and they were notified as soon as the situation occurred, and have been informed of the resolution.

I thank everyone for their opinions, thoughts, and solutions.

And yes, I'm keeping it.
Old June 4, 2010, 09:32 PM   #34
Sefner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrz
The situation has been resolved, management was informed and aware of what was going on and will be notified should it become a problem again. I have a friend who works for the Dallas Field Office of the BATFE, and they were notified as soon as the situation occurred, and have been informed of the resolution.

I thank everyone for their opinions, thoughts, and solutions.

And yes, I'm keeping it.
/applause! Good to hear, sir.