The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 1, 2010, 08:49 PM   #1
pythagorean

Remington 1100 Sporting 410

(middle of picures)

I got this a couple years back. You may think I'm a bit eccentric getting it in .410 when the 28, 20, and 12 are around to choose instead. But let me tell you why I did it.

My other shotgun is Beretta's 471 SxS Silverhawk in 20 gauge. That pretty much is all I ever need in a shotgun. But getting back to this crazy .410, I simply couldn't resist buying it after handling it at the store! It points like a dynamic long barreled rifle and swings like a butterfly. It has 5 different chokes to screw in. It just looks and feels grand.

I started shotgunning with a Savage 24 O/U in .22 WMR and 20 ga. That shotgun I fired more than most and I learned the most about shotgunning with that arm.

Then I got an 870 Wingmaster in standard length 12 ga for singles in a trap shooting class. Love the feel of a Remington pump shotgun. Others had 1100s and I shot them. Those were out of my price range in the 70s so the Wingmaster was it for me.

Got an 1187 in 20 gauge around 2000 or so but sold it. No good reason just things like that happen.

So, I see the Sporting 410 and it looks beautiful. I hold it and it points better than any auto shotgun I've ever held or shot. Had a Benelli Montefeltro in 20 but the Inertia system didn't agree with me. So that got sold.

Anyway, so I finally come full circle awhile ago to the Deluxe version of an 1100, but I get it in .410!

Shotgunning clays is plain fun. Using a .410 really makes it more fun.
Anybody ever get this bug in them to go for the small gauge instead of the larger one?
Old June 1, 2010, 08:58 PM   #2
Waterengineer

Nice collection of toys.

The 1100, .410 caliber is a sweetheart. Nice lumber too.

Oh, and I like the new Model 70. What caliber is it?

Looks to me like you need to get out and use those toys a bit.
Old June 3, 2010, 01:33 PM   #3
publius

sweet, I've got an 11-48 .410. Great dove gun.
Old June 3, 2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Pinelands

410's are just plain fun to shoot. I haven't had a chance to shoot an 1100 in 410 but I did handle one at Gander Mountain awhile back, and it sure is a pretty gun and points like a dream.

I bet it barely recoils at all with that gas system and the 2.5 inch shells.
Old June 3, 2010, 03:34 PM   #5
oneounceload

I have that sporting in 28 gauge - even added an 8oz mag cap weight to smooth out my swing. What recoil there is, with my light handloads, is a joy to shoot 5-stand and sporting with

The ONLY downside is chasing the empties!
Old June 3, 2010, 06:15 PM   #6
zippy13

The small guns have a lot of appear in the LGS, but shooting them is a different story. Let's hope Remington isn't having a replay with their Sporting .410s as they did back in the day: In 1969, the year after I got my first Skeet specific gun, Remington first offered the first 1100s in 28-ga and .410-bore. Initially they were offered only in pairs. These little lovelies had matching serial numbers, gilded gold accents, removable barrel weights and a hard case. All this for a retail price of $495.00(the next year a standard R-1100 .410 was $195.); however, they didn't sell them all the first year. I recall seeing the 1969 guns in pro shops well into the 1970s. Of the guns that were sold, it was unusual to actually see one in use. I suspect many pairs are still in their cases held by collectors -- or, shot once or twice and then retired or passed on.

Remington's timing was terrible, by 1969, stick .410-bore comp guns were gasping for their last breath. Why?… because folks were shooting higher Skeet scores with O/Us and more specifically the early tubed O/Us. For many years, competing in a .410-bore event meant you probably used the .410 version of Winchester's Model 12, the model 42. If you've never shot a stick (pump or auto) .410-bore, then you need to understand that there's more to it than just shooting a scaled down 12-ga. The little gun is much more particular than its big brother. Jambs are much more frequent with .410s, especially if you using old school re-loaded paper hulls.

When discussing shotgunning proficiency, many folks claim, "It's more the Indian than the arrows." However, with the .410-bore, the arrows play a major role. Here's a point to ponder: Using old school guns and ammo, at the World Skeet Championship .410 event, no one shot a 100-straight until 1960. With newer guns, plastic hulls, and one-piece wads, since 1970 every world .410 winning score has been a 100-straight. The Indians aren't that much better, but the arrows are. Let's hope the OP has more fun than frustration with his new R-1100 Sporting .410.
Old June 4, 2010, 08:42 AM   #7
pythagorean

It is, as Inspector Clusoue (Pink Panther series with Peter Sellers) would say, a "shallange" to use a .410 over a 12 gauge.
But it is more fun.
Old June 4, 2010, 12:20 PM   #8
zippy13

But it is more fun.
True! And, .410s are cheaper to reload (especially with the price of shot these days). Sadly, if you don't reload, .410 ammo is disgracefully overpriced.
Old June 4, 2010, 01:00 PM   #9
oneounceload

Now Zippy, some folks are talking about loading 1/2 oz loads in 12 gauges.......THAT'S gonna be something to see - going to take a lot of Cheerios to fill the rest of the shot cup......

Now a 12 in 3/4 or 7/8 feels very nice, and in one of these........
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Ste...n_id=100119358

would be REAL sweet to shoot
Old June 5, 2010, 07:59 AM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Cheerios?

No, us purists use Puffed Wheat, while some heretics use a kidney bean(uncooked).
Old June 5, 2010, 08:35 AM   #11
oneounceload

Puffed wheat is also a good candidate - When I reload 7/8 in a 1oz wad, I need something - Cheerios work great!
Old June 5, 2010, 09:36 AM   #12
OkieCruffler

Well, I always used cardboard wads, but if you really must use breakfast cereal the old COW is easier to meter out accurately.
Old June 8, 2010, 11:04 AM   #13
WvHiker

OK, I'm not a reloader, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. Cereal? For real? Kidney beans? I can't tell if you guys are kidding or not.

Last edited by WvHiker; June 8, 2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old June 8, 2010, 11:19 AM   #14
OkieCruffler

Actually it might work. I've never done it in a shotshell, but I use COW (cream of wheat) to fill the space in the brass rounds I'm fireforming and then plug it with wax. Saves money on bullets.
I have loaded a few rounds with flour as "buffer" for chits and giggles. Thats just plain fun in the duck blind.
Old June 8, 2010, 11:50 AM   #15
oneounceload

Quote:
OK, I'm not a reloader, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. Cereal? For real? Kidney beans? I can't tell if you guys are kidding or not.
Not kidding - though a kidney bean may still equal the weight. I really DO use a Cheerio when loading 7/8 in a 1oz wad recipe to take up space so as not to get a "dished crimp". (Got the tip from a gun writer friend)
Old June 8, 2010, 11:53 AM   #16
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Serious. Not recommended, though.

When loading a light load of shot in a wad designed for more shot, the crimp has to be level and some folks have used non standard items to do so.

Including 3 unpopped kernels of popcorn, used primers, and the stuff already mentioned.
Old June 8, 2010, 03:53 PM   #17
OkieCruffler

Used primers? I would think that would scratch the heck out of the barrel. I did know a guy who used pillow batting for loading lite loads to take up space. I guess there are several bad solutions to any problem.
Old June 8, 2010, 06:01 PM   #18
zippy13

Used primers…

I recall an anecdote, from the 1980's:
It was discovered that a shooter had been loading a spent primer in with the shot charge of his comp reloads. The purpose was to deceive referees into thinking that the primer was actually a chip off the front of the clay target and not score him a miss. I don't recall if the shooter was banned from competition for life, banned from extra events (side bets), or required to use factory sealed ammo in competition.