The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 5, 2010, 09:43 AM   #1
droppedime

Remington nylon 66

I have recently came across a nylon 66 in 22lr, it is mohawk brown, an has a serial number on the reciver. The date on the barrel comes back to March 1974. It shoots fine and is very light an accurate.

Now what i have to do to get this rifle consist of getting rid of my first gun. Which could be a hard task but isn't because my first gun is a C9, yupp a hi- point.

From my understanding the 66 is a great rifle and unique because it is a rearloading tube fed. Even though a million an something were made they are still be desirable/collectable? How easy is it to get rust pits off of the revicer?

Would you trade a hi-point for it? I think it would be worth every penny, but was curious what others would think about it..

The whole trade consist of - a hi-point c9 i bought new, with an extra 8rd mag, the cardboard box it came in, with ghostring sight and a trigger lock.

For a - remington nylon 66 decent condition some pitting on the recivier is all, with the mohawk brown stock min scratches, and a xbox 360 controller.

So what do you guys think?
Old May 5, 2010, 10:03 AM   #2
Firepower!

I have Nylon 66. You are right it is very light. However, I doubt its collectable in terms of value, but sure is in terms of what it is.
Old May 5, 2010, 10:09 AM   #3
PetahW

FWIW, I paid $90 for the last M66MB I bought, about 18mos ago - but that was a good buy, since they usually change hands for about twice that or more (for a Seneca Green for instance).

The buttstock loading isn't unique among rimfire rifles, being long preceeded by the Browning .22 Auto, the Winchester 63, and others - but it DOES protect the mag tube from damage.

The "receiver" isn't a receiver - it's a sheet metal cover, easily removeable for refinishing.
The real receiver is the nylon structure underneath the cover, that holds the bolt raceway, trigger group, etc, etc.
The barrel pops out after removing the cover/screws/bolthandle and one barrel band screw, BTW.

I have no clues as to what an X-Box is worth, and I would lose the C9 in a NY Minute - but then I'm an O.F.

Old May 5, 2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Buzzcook

I used to make fun of those goofy plastic gun till I had the opportunity to shoot one. They're still goofy looking imho, but they also shoot real well.

If you can't find one closer to one hundred than two hundred, you aren't looking very hard. I am surprised at how high some of them are going for on gun broker, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=167255781 900 bucks for a plastic .22.

You might consider getting a Marlin 60.
Old May 5, 2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Waterengineer

I have my fathers Nylon 66 with a 1963 date. It has only had about 25 cargridges through it.

These guns have a cult following. There was recently an article in American Hunter - lengthy discussion about how Dupont owned Remington and wanted to do something with plastics.

These guns are a bearcat to clean.

You might look over on the Rimfire board for discussion or here:

http://www.nylonrifles.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=4
Old May 6, 2010, 08:24 AM   #6
hodaka

There is a video on U-tube that demonstrates dissassembly. It is a bit tricky. Great little rifle. They go for $2-300 down here when you can find one. I really like mine. Dump the Hi-point.
Old May 6, 2010, 08:29 AM   #7
CajunBass

I recently paid $300.00 for one in near new condition (externally) with no serial number. Going by the barrel markings I figured it was made in 1959 I believe. Alas it turned out to have a bulged barrel. The dealer gave me a full refund.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old May 6, 2010, 09:24 AM   #8
Waterengineer

Ya, $300-330 is about the right number. My Dad told me he gave $25 for it in 1963. Too bad about the barrel weirdness.
Old May 6, 2010, 11:35 AM   #9
droppedime

Well thank you all for your opinions on this matter. I have done shot a box of 50rds thru it and i think im in love. Its very accurate and light, which is great for long periods of shooting, or while hunting it would be easier to carry. They might not be collectable but like someone said they seem to have a following.
Old May 7, 2010, 08:23 AM   #10
cecILL

Trade. You can always find another Hi-Point. Nylons are great .22s.
Old May 7, 2010, 11:25 AM   #11
BitterTait

With the Hi-Point you get a carbine suitable for plinking and defense, a solid no nonsense hunk of metal and plastic that'll probably outlast you if you treat it right.

With the Nylon 66 you get a carbine suitable for plinking and small game hunting, a solid no nonsense hunk of metal and plastic that'll probably outlast you if you treat it right. You also get to hold and shoot a bit of history. I'm not the trading type, but if given an option to buy either used for the same price I'd take the Nylon.

Plus, you get an X-box controller, makes a good target to sight in, just shoot till it stops blinking.