The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 2, 2010, 09:32 AM   #1
RimfireChris

Modifying a Marlin Model 60 stock?

While I love my new Marlin 795, I really wish there was a nice black and grey laminated stock for it like the Model 60. With the action being basically the same, would it be possible to cut out a magazine opening in the Mdl 60 stock and make it work on the 795? I know I'd probably also have to do some work around the trigger guard area, and probably fill in the opening for the 60's tube mag, but those are comfortably within my skill range. My main concern, having never worked with the laminated material before is would it splinter around the hole I cut? Any advice would be appreciated, especially if you've done this before. Also, if any body knows of a good source for aftermarket stocks for this gun I'd happily try that too. Thanks in advance
Old May 3, 2010, 02:39 AM   #2
Scorch

Yes, it is possible. If you have access to a mill, it is about a 10-minute job. Laminated stocks don't splinter, they are pretty much solid resin with sheets of wood fiber in it. It's just like machining Micarta. A quick pass with sandpaper or a file around the hole will clean it up. As for the mag tube hole, just leave it unless it bothers you.
Old May 3, 2010, 01:07 PM   #3
RimfireChris

Hey thanks! I don't have a mill, I was gonna try slow and low with a Dremel. I was thinking about filling in the tube mag slot because I thought it might affect how the barrel sits. Think I might pick up a Mdl 60 wood stock tohave a dry run first.
Old May 6, 2010, 02:31 AM   #4
Big Shrek

Um...you mean THIS stock??
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...50A&catid=4082

You can also order them straight from Marlin, if they have any left...
Made for the 995SS & 7000L...it does have a Heavy Barrel channel...so it'll automagically free-float your barrel.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:38 AM   #5
RimfireChris

Hey thanks! they're outta stock right now but I'll be checking back. Where does Marlin sell them? I couldn't find any parts on their web site. Now for the 981TS...