The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 16, 2010, 07:38 PM   #26
DustyBottoms

Many thanks, gyvel - that's just the kind of information I was looking for!
Old April 16, 2010, 07:46 PM   #27
andrewstorm

Kits any good ?

I built a cva kit in my younger days,very satisfieing indeed,it was level 3,I belive I had to time it and everything,1862 pocket police ,nice shooter 25 grain pyro p 36 cal ball,smoke amundo
Old April 16, 2010, 08:32 PM   #28
Gaucho Gringo

For a first 1860 Colt black powder revolver you would be miles ahead of the game if you bought the one that Cabelas has on sale for $199.99 and take the finish down to bare metal for the look you desire. For $4.00 more than the kit price you get a gun that is completely assembled and is guaranteed to work with a no quibble return policy. When you determine the gun's function and fit suit you, you can strip the finish down to bare metal which is the look you want. Total time invested maybe 5 hrs. tops. You buy a kit and you are on your own as far as putting it together and there is no guarantee on it. If you screw up, you are on your own. I don't know how skilled you are as far as mechanical assembly and finish but I know from personal experience it is not a cake walk. Years ago I bought a single shot percussion cap pistol kit for $29.95. I being in my early, early 20"s I got the gun together so it functioned ok but as far as finish it looked like a rough cut 2x4. I wanted to get it working and I figured to do the finish work later. It never happened and years later I sold it for what I paid for it. I guess what I am saying unless you have the skills and discipline to see it completely through you would be better off and money ahead buying the completed gun and doing the finish to suite your tastes. Not trying to rain on your parade but just trying to point out the pitfalls.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old April 16, 2010, 09:31 PM   #29
DustyBottoms

I hear ya, Gaucho.
The Cabelas sale is a great deal, and I'm having a real hard time not pressing that "ORDER NOW" button, but unfortunately I have other silly 'real world' things that have to take priority right now. And I feel fairly certain that by the time I'm ready to buy a C&B, that kit will still be the most affordable deal.

Besides, I like learnin' stuff!
Building a percussion pistol seems like a good opportunity to learn some new stuff

(I think I can handle the metal-shaping, mechanical, and woodworking aspects. It's the actual finishing that's all new to me.)
Old April 17, 2010, 12:05 AM   #30
Hawg

Quote:
Ahhhhhhhhh . . . . . Hawg, I declare . . . . you DO have the prettiest Irons! Just a little disappointed though . . . . I didn't see a '51 Navy among them . .. .. but you're forgiven! Nice lookin' pistols!
Thank ya bedbugbilly but the Colt was stolen and the Ruger I traded for a Uberti 73 which was also stolen. So the only one of those I still have is the Remington. Plan on getting a 51 one of these days tho.