The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 5, 2010, 12:47 AM   #1
Any .45

SigTac vest for IDPA and possible Ready Bag.

Hello all,
Hope ya'll had a great Easter. I have been looking at the SigTac vest for IDPA competition and possibly for CCW in the colder months. Also to have it as a ready bag or garment instead of my web belt (Batman Belt as my SO calls it) loaded up with gear that would be visible to other, if I need to check out noises in my vicinity or a late night stroll. How do these compare to other vests 511, Woolrich,etc. I see botach has my size on clearance for $25 so I will be getting 2 since any other vest is about the price of two of these if not more. Overall comfort, if you use it often, if you use for CCW or Competition any input would help. Thanks in advance. I'm not worried about the "shoot me first" concept as it really on applies to Gun enthusiasts or high end movie type criminals, IMHO, that know what the vest are for.

Any .45
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old April 5, 2010, 09:35 PM   #2
The_Vigilante

SigTac vest for IDPA and possible Ready Bag.

That's a good deal on the vests! Wish I could get one but they are all "over-sized."
Old April 6, 2010, 12:41 AM   #3
Any .45

Yeah I'm oversized so it works for me. Have you used one of them?
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old April 12, 2010, 02:21 PM   #4
Dutch1911

Not to put you down on your choice of apparel.
However, I don't understand the need for your "Tac Vest". Nothing screams GUN to me more than some "dude" wearing one of these. I know I know I sound a bit harsh.
Here's my stand point, Been a tactical guy for 6 years, recently started competing in IDPA. First of all why would you want to compete in apparel you wouldn't normally wear on the street. If you do wear this apparel on the street WHY??? If you're involved in an incident, wouldn't it look silly if you're standing there in your "stuff" hot tactical vest?
I do compete as well, I don't do it for the score I do it to remain proficient and to have a good time.
I wear what I wear on the street. And... I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a little "Tac Vest" on the street. I wouldn't want to be the first guy to get shot cuz I look like a Mall Ninja. Really... train to the max, train how you roll... if its mall ninja on your agenda then so be it.
Challenge yourself... I use leather gear for concealed carry... and compete in my leather with an oversized shirt or jacket. The most I can do to blend in the better.

Dutch1911
1/*

If you aren't shooting, you better be loading.
If you aren't loading, you better be movin'.
If you aren't moving, someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick.
Old April 12, 2010, 02:56 PM   #5
UniversalFrost

these are a great deal... I just bought a used jacket version for $50 here on the forum. I am 6'1" and weigh 230ish. i normally wear an XL or XXL and the XL fits really well with lots of space.

i will really buy another if they are $25 as you say!! The Sig vest looks for lie a carhardt work jackets

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 12, 2010, 04:04 PM   #6
RickB

I've been wearing a SIG-Tac vest for IDPA competition for about the last four or five months. Previously, I usually used an oversized Hawaiian shirt as a cover garment. I'm not a big fan of the vest, or any vest, really. While it does cover the holstered gun, it's pretty big and bulky for something that's really just to block the view of the gun. I'm a lefty, and the SIG-Tac has what looks like rifle mag pouches on the right side, where I'd want a large single pocket (like on the left side) for spent mags. Since I don't use the concealment garment for anything but concealment, the SIG-Tac vest seems like overkill. If you actually want to stuff the pockets with useful stuff, then it's probably great for that. The material seems to be strong and durable, and there are lots of pockets.