The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 2, 2010, 04:40 PM   #1
LynnTX

Nef pardner pump

Well after reading a lot about pump shotguns on this and other forums, I finally decided to buy the Pardner pump in the defensive gun size. Academy has them at everyday prices that seem pretty amazing to me.

Although I have handled firearms all my life, I am not a hunter. I just wanted a decent pump primarily for home defense, and because I "just wanted one."
I have been thinking of getting a semi-auto handgun, even though I own some pretty good revolvers. It just made more sense to me to get the shotgun first, since I believe it is the superior weapon in a home defense role. It is also compact enough to travel well if I choose to take it with me in a vehicle traveling. I also still have my .357 handgun to back it up. I have a .38 spl snubby I can arm the wife with if the SHTF.

I hope to test fire the Pardner this weekend and check the pattern size for myself. There is tons of ammo to choose from. I have some 2 3/4" Winchester 00 Buck on hand until I can pick up some other variety. I also have some #6 shot to test the gun with. It feels like a solid gun when handling it, and it defintily "looks lethal" in the flat black finish and synthetic black stock. I expect it will do the job it is designed for if I do my part.

Last edited by LynnTX; March 2, 2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old March 2, 2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Lee Lapin

I don't think you'll be disappointed in it. It's a solidly built shotgun, some would say it was downright heavy. But it seems to have good steel in it and be pretty well made.

If you buy it new, field strip it and clean the shipping grease out of it before you start shooting it- especially the barrel and chamber. They aren't as crammed with cosmoline as some of the SKSs I've seen, but they do need a good cleaning if mine was any indication. I used plain old WD-40 as a degreaser, got everything cleaned up and then lubed it properly when I was done.

Stay Safe,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old March 2, 2010, 06:14 PM   #3
LynnTX

Thanks Lee,
I agree that is good advice. I got it NIB so I will be checking and cleaning it tonight. It does have some weight to it, but to me, that feels the way it should. I am not going to be tramping around the countryside hunting with it, so the weight was not an issue to me.
Old March 2, 2010, 06:18 PM   #4
Onward Allusion

From what I understand, the Pardner Protector does not have a choke. If you ever decide to shoot trap or hunt, you can get a 28" ventilated barrel that fits the Pardner Pump Walnut. Those barrels do have a choke.

All accessories for the Remington 870 with the exception of the barrel, will fit the Pardner Protector.

Quote:
LynnTX
Nef pardner pump

<SNIP>
Although I have handled firearms all my life, I am not a hunter. I just wanted a decent pump primarily for home defense, and because I "just wanted one."
<SNIP>
Old March 2, 2010, 07:10 PM   #5
oneounceload

Quote:
the Pardner Protector does not have a choke
Their web site says they have a screw-in M choke
Old March 2, 2010, 09:48 PM   #6
jmortimer

I have a Pardner Protector and unlike the other Pardner models, the Protector does not have a choke - in fact it is wide open - cylinder bore. Like all the Pardners, the Protector is drilled and tapped. Nice.
As good as (functional and reliable) any pump shotgun you can buy - Remington/Marlin/H&R did us all a faovor by importing the Pardner.
Old March 2, 2010, 09:52 PM   #7
Onward Allusion

The newer Pardner Protectors may have a choke. I'm pretty sure they didn't have one when they first came out. In any event, I have a Pardner Pump Walnut with the 28" ventilated barrel and it can use the shorter 18.5" barrel from the Pardner Protector. Kind of a 2 in one use shotgun. BTW, the 18.5 barrel does not have a choke on mine.

Quote:
oneounceload

Quote:
the Pardner Protector does not have a choke

Their web site says they have a screw-in M choke
Old March 2, 2010, 10:29 PM   #8
LynnTX

No choke

Sorry guys,
I was reading the generic owners manual today when I read there may be a modified choke.

When I checked this gun this evening to clean it for the first time, it was obvious it is a cylinder bore (no choke). There was even a little paper enclosed that said that, so I was mistaken when I made the earlier post.

I had picked the gun up at lunch time, and had not really inspected it closely until I got home. My first impression is still quite good. It feels very sturdy upon examination, so I now have it ready to go when I have time to test fire it. The heft of the gun reflects the fact it is sturdy steel in most respects, except for fore grip and the stock.

I have 4 rounds in it & sitting in the corner by my night stand. All I would have to do is "rack" the slide and release the safety (maybe 2 or 3 seconds).
My Pit Bull & Bassett Hound should buy me more time than that. They sleep in the house near our room. I am not the kind of person that expects trouble, but I made a consious decision to be more prepared in case trouble comes to my family. Our urban area is seeing some crime, including our neighborhood.
Old March 2, 2010, 10:40 PM   #9
oneounceload

Just a FWIW, a gun that does not have a removable choke tube does not necessarily mean it has no choke. It may have a Cylinder choke which is .000 constriction, or it might have a fixed constriction. Some of the newer folks might not realize the difference.

It seems a lot of guns designed for HD are being made with a cylinder choke - good for HD distances, and some close grouse shooting...not much else
Old March 2, 2010, 10:44 PM   #10
jmortimer

You are right most do have modified or improved cylinder bore. The Pardner Protector is wide open cylinder bore.
Old March 3, 2010, 12:45 AM   #11
jlv08

Good choice of shotgun. I have a 20 gauge Compact and it's a very nice gun.
Old March 3, 2010, 01:44 AM   #12
MAX100

Quote:
The heft of the gun reflects the fact it is sturdy steel in most respects, except for fore grip and the stock.
The stock and forend look to be made with Rynite polymer. The same polymer Choate uses on their stocks. It's a very durable and heavy polymer. The stock on the Protector is smaller than most factory stocks but it's very solid and isn't hollow like most shotgun stocks. Also the recoil pad is much better than what comes on most standard shotguns.

GC
Old March 3, 2010, 01:49 AM   #13
TxGun

I gave my brother a Padner Protector as a gift over a year ago, on the recommendation of a friend who is the long-time owner of a gunshop. My bro loves the gun! One suggestion: I thought the mag spring seemed a little cheap (as is the case on a lot of foreign-made guns, IME). I replaced it with a Wolff spring before gifting it. An inexpensive improvement of a critical part, IMO.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...&cID=4&mID=137
Old March 3, 2010, 09:42 AM   #14
LynnTX

TO: TXGUN

Did the replacement spring just seem more heavy duty, or did you just suspect poor qualilty on the original (thin & weak)?

When I removed the plug - I did notice the spring looked a little delicate, but I don't have a lot of experience with shotguns since I don't hunt with them.
Old March 3, 2010, 10:53 AM   #15
oletymer

hope you are happy with your chinese guns.
Old March 3, 2010, 11:31 AM   #16
Tenshi

Quote:
hope you are happy with your chinese guns.
He says as he types on his Japanese computer and drinks from his Chinese coffee cup.
Old March 3, 2010, 01:16 PM   #17
TxGun

TO: TXGUN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did the replacement spring just seem more heavy duty, or did you just suspect poor qualilty on the original (thin & weak)?

When I removed the plug - I did notice the spring looked a little delicate, but I don't have a lot of experience with shotguns since I don't hunt with them.

-------------------------

The original seemed weak to me. The mag spring is critical to proper function and the OEM spring was an unknown as far as quality. OTOH, Wolff is well-known for it's quality and I felt $6.00 was a small investment for insurance. FYI. If you do this, start by counting the coils, not measuring the length, i.e., don't cut the new spring the same length as the old as the old one has likely taken a "set" by now. All is explained on the Wolff website FAQs. You also might want to go this route and get a new, more substantial follower also:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0...un_mag_springs

Last edited by TxGun; March 3, 2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old March 3, 2010, 01:41 PM   #18
oletymer

No Chinese cups in this house tenshi. The computer probably since there are not may choices. You can love your chinese guns but I can't because every one I have seen are crud and not for me.
Old March 3, 2010, 02:36 PM   #19
MAX100

Quote:
I can't because every one I have seen are crud and not for me.
You have never owned one and have no experience with them but you are right and everyone who owns one is wrong.

You keep saying they are crude give us some detailed examples.

GC
Old March 3, 2010, 04:01 PM   #20
Tenshi

Quote:
No Chinese cups in this house tenshi. The computer probably since there are not may choices. You can love your chinese guns but I can't because every one I have seen are crud and not for me.
That's right... Chinese cups are inferior! No Chinese Cups! lol

On a serious note though, I've never bought into the whole "American products are the best" mentality. What I've come to find is that quality products are hight quality and crap is crap... I've seen good things out of China as well as cheap quality and I've seen the same from the U.S. Last I checked, individual companies and their manufacturing procedures was what affected the quality of a product, not what country they were located in.
Old March 3, 2010, 05:43 PM   #21
LynnTX

Hey Oletymer

I also have a Chinese SKS that I have put hundreds of rounds through without a misfire- so I guess that got me thinking making they do know a thing or 2 about guns. Although the SKS is kind of the Ford Pinto of rifles, it gets you where you want to go when it comes to plinking and casual target shooting - which is "theraputic" for most of us.

Anyway - I don't begrude any man for having an honest opinion. Our verterans have fought to the death for people to have those rights.

I wish the best to you in all your endeavors!
Old March 3, 2010, 09:45 PM   #22
Cornhusker77

I've got the Pardner Pump Protector and it's a great shotgun for it's intended purpose.
It'll never win a beauty contest, but it has never failed and it's a tough little gun.
Old March 3, 2010, 11:41 PM   #23
LynnTX

Added Sling

Today I stopped by WM and noticed a pretty nice looking sling that looked ideal for the NEF 12 GA. It was made by Winchester and called the Razor Sling (and has Brute detachable swivals). There is a shoulder section that is about 2" Wide and flexes somewhat- and the rest is made of heavy synthetic.
The swivals on the sling fit perfectly into the stock studs that came on the shotgun, and it was all black, like the gun.

That's probably all I will do to the gun for now but I think the sling will come in handy at times. PS: it was quite inexpensive to boot.
Old March 4, 2010, 12:14 AM   #24
Lavid2002

I shoot pretty well with mine : )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrHVF4QorcM
I have several thousand rounds through the gun. I would put my life on its reliability. No lie...

I duck hunt with it...here are my only complaints....
*Gun is heavy (Soaks up recoil though, gives you a good swing on clays and birds work out and suck it up)
*Metal is porous -Rusts easily when hunting ducks in the bay-(I painted it, watch the vid. on youtube of the 870 works very well)
*Had minor chamber sticking issues when rust was a problem. Just polished the chamber with a brass brush and some steel wool. Worked well...

Get it...nuf said
Old March 4, 2010, 08:31 AM   #25
oletymer

Well Max I have seen a lot of them. I don't own one since I believe they are junk. If they make you happy then that is good. They make me puke.