The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old February 26, 2010, 07:13 PM   #26
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Look LC... I read the OP word by word and there was nothing to support...
Quote:
"lazy psuedo hunter puts a bullet in a rifle and pulls the trigger and sportkills animals for depraved fun and bragging rights" rather than "the hunt" - which implies some skill and use of the animal which was killed... Wow, you shot a large dog sized target at 400 yards.
You eat meat but do not hunt? You eat the venison that a guy sat in a tree stand waiting for a deer that has no natural predators from above to worry about yet he puts a bullet in it?

Or would this guy be paying to be hauled around on a four wheeler and dropped within yards of feeder or feed plot (green bait) to shoot a deer and have it hauled by the "guide" back to "camp" (a high dollar log structure far nicer than any home I ever lived in) where the guide will "process" said deer into venison?

BTW the OP did get use out the dead 'yote in the way of revenue or home meat that may have other wise would have been wasted when fed to the mangy dog.

Brent
Old February 26, 2010, 08:07 PM   #27
Catfishman

Quote:
So, any particular reason you like to shoot animals that are just mindin their own business....? Was it stalking your livestock? Stalking your kids? You gonna eat her? Or do you just have some bloodlust for killin creatures? Just curious as to why folks like shootin' 'yotes' so much, and you didn't really address it in your post under "the hunt" forum...

How exactly is a 'yote' supposed to get away when you're hundreds of yards away with a rifle? It's not like you're chasing it down with a spear, or heck even a bow, where it would have some realistic chance of survival... I'm frankly unimpressed when 'men' go out and blast 'yotes' or other 'rodents', without so much as placing themselves in any danger whatsoever (the biggest risk is maybe you'll catch a cold or twist your ankle or nick your gun) and think they've accomplished some feat...

How exactly is this a 'hunt?' May as well been a video game... Long story short: You saw a coyote. Grabbed your rifle. Stepped off your back porch. Shot a few times. Killed it. Congrats....
It's pretty clear LC was looking for an argument when he made this post. Obviously, the coyote population needs to be hunted. I killed one last year that was extremely emanciated. And they have turned our newborn calves into skeletons overnight.
I expect LC knows these things happen but doesn't care. His screen name indicates a large ego and a willingness to expell lots of hot air with no facts.
Old February 26, 2010, 08:17 PM   #28
kaylorinhi

Read the Words carefully

I actually believe a little of all of this. While it may not have been the most skillful La Trang stalk ever it worked.

LC, his title says it all. He is well aware that this is not a six miles uphill both ways in the snow and shot while riding an avalanche at ninety mph on a skim board hunt. It was a humorous anecdote of how a perfectly normal day becomes a learning lesson for all. Some of what to do and some of what not to do.

If you have more than two posts on this forum then of course you are not an ignoramus who thinks chicken stew is magically made and you have a point about the "hunt" being more of a vermin colling or something along those lines.

I don't have livestock but what I do have are a very particular set skills, skills acquired over a long career, skills that make me nightmare for other predators. I will test my skills as I see fit as did SS54 with-in the laws that we the people vote on!

Last edited by kaylorinhi; February 26, 2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: spelling as usual
Old February 26, 2010, 08:23 PM   #29
Sarge

Good work, SingleSix. I hit one on the run like that a few years ago and thought I'd missed it altogether, when it dropped behind a terrace out of my sight.
Old February 26, 2010, 10:20 PM   #30
Singlesix1954

FYI this is the best yote pelt I'v ever scored. I'v made arangements to have it mounted. This wasn't a great day of bedding down and calling in dogs and extermanting them. It was a spur of the moment fluke. Every thing went wrong and I still got her with a 112 yr old gun on foot 1/2 mile open range in broad daylight with the wind to my back. Not that I need to explain myself. Last I checked I was still standing in the U.S.A.
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old February 26, 2010, 11:28 PM   #31
sway

Quote:
We're all entitled to our opinions and again I'm not impressed... I routinely shoot 3 second pop up targets at 300 meters with open sites with a carbine... you don't see me raving about it like its' some big accomplishment.
another reason why this is THE HUNT FORUM and not a target shooting forum. he posted this story for the people on here who like to hunt, not to impress them but to share his experience. and until the state tells me i have a limit or can not kill yotes (WHICH WILL NEVER HAPPEN) ill be folding them up like wet towels every opportunity i get!!

singlesix, nice stock and kill very hard to do with a yote. little harder then waiting for a target to pop up.
Old February 27, 2010, 02:09 AM   #32
shortwave

Quote:
Shortsighted human folly has caused so many enviromental problems...
Leadcounsel, shortsighted human folly is also why we have wars.

Question is, 'Who`s being shortsighted' ?

Your first comment back to the OP was as shortsighted as it gets. You didn`t ask him if yotes were a problem in his area. Hell, for that matter, you criticized the way he stalked the yote and you don`t even know if he`s got legs. Maybe OP`s in a wheel chair or is 90 yrs. old and can`t see. Maybe the yotes have killed much livestock in his area. Maybe there`s been attacks on pets or kids in his neighborhood.
Fact is, before your somewhat rude/shortsighted post, you didn`t bother asking any questions.

Also, I found NO hint of bragging in OP`s statement(with my old eye`s, I`d want to tell the world of that shot though). Just a poster wanting to conversate with some fellow outdoorsmen.

Your second post, 'Lazy pseudo hunter...' is worse.

Instead of making yourself sound arrogant and ignorant, quit being so overbearing/shortsighted and spend some time researching problems others have that don`t live in your immediate vicinity. I`ve never seen a yote running a T-bone down in the isle at Krogers but I have seen them tear a calf to pieces, found the remains of sheep and chickens.

Why don`t you google up what has to happen to a child thats bit by a yote.

I don`t think anyone here is saying yotes should be killed to extinction. Do your part (research) and you`ll find out they do need to be controlled.

You`ve assumed to much, have been the one guilty of 'shortsighted folly' and you owe the OP an apology.

Last edited by shortwave; February 28, 2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old February 28, 2010, 12:54 AM   #33
72gator

After reading what lead counsel had to say, I lost scope of the topic by the OP. Congrats on your kill. There would be no coyotes here if i had my way. LC, one other thing I'd like to point out. You stated in another thread that you would kill a human being if you felt threatened by him, but you have a problem with legally, and humanely, exterminating a coyote. You are the worst type of creature on the planet, IMO. You put animals God put here for our use on an even keel with people. You are a thoughtless, repugnant pile of trash.

Your quote (copied and pasted): " I never understood why people would hesitate. It's as easy a reaction as stepping on the brakes to stop your car to avoid an accident. If there's a lethal threat you draw and shoot to stop the threat. "

I am going to eat a steak and buy a leather jacket and think of you. You aren't fit to own a gun. You have to be mentally ill. Take your meds, lie down, and count coyotes till you fall asleep.
Old February 28, 2010, 01:38 AM   #34
Sarge

'Ignore' button, folks. It works wonders for your blood pressure and keeps threads from getting locked.
Old February 28, 2010, 10:00 AM   #35
Uncle Buck

Good Shooting. I am not sure I could have done it. I prefer to be waiting in ambush for the coyotes.

Quote:
I'm not naive to not know where meat comes from, and most of it is grown by corporate farms and killed in dirty foul slaughterhouses.
Actually, most of the animals are RAISED on family farms (read farmers and families and a source of income) and finished at the large corporate farms. Ever been to a livestock auction? You'll learn a lot and meet a lot of nice folks, most who have very low opinions of coyotes.

If you hunt deer and did not get one, could it be the coyote killing fawns? I have found a few pieces of small deer carcasses while out and about. In my neck of the woods, that means either a canine or bobcat dragged it off and ate it.

Animal damage on military bases is an ongoing concern. Here at Whiteman AFB, MO I was involved with the USDA in removing deer and other animals that had overpopulated the base.

I saw a B-52 hit a deer on the runway as it landed. It damaged the aircraft to the point it had to be removed from service for at least two months while being repaired.

At Loring AFB, ME, we would have to send patrols into the housing area to protect the kids from moose that seemed to invade base housing. We also had a bull moose tear down part of our weapons storage area fence when it got a wild hair up its tail end.

Beaver would build dams which flooded portions of the weapons storage area and/or transport road, seriously degrading our ability to complete our mission.

There was a story from Arizona (I think) about a little kid that was bitten by a coyote. Poor kid had to get the rabies shots. I have had these and they are extremely uncomfortable for a grown up.

It is easy for people to pass judgement on something they have no idea about. I have lost so much livestock to wild animals that I almost gave up farming because of it. Financially, it was very costly. I have taken extraordinary measures to protect my livestock, but these critters (Coons/possums/coyotes/foxes/bobcats/skunks) are very determined and will find a way to get into the cages and pens.

One of the guys who lives just down the road from me hunts, but does not own any livestock or animals that would be threatened by a coyote, he has no financial reason for shooting them. I happen to like the idea that he is shooting the dang things as often as he can.
Old February 28, 2010, 11:25 AM   #36
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Uncle Buck, the suburbs of both Tucson and Phoenix have had reports of coyote problems. I think it's up to two, now, for kid who have been bitten. Tucson area.

Cats and small dogs are prey for coyotes in numerous cities around the country. These are not stray or feral cats and dogs; pets in the owners' yards.
Old February 28, 2010, 11:31 AM   #37
leadcounsel

72gator wrote:

Quote:
You are a thoughtless, repugnant pile of trash.... You aren't fit to own a gun. You have to be mentally ill. Take your meds,
Yikes...
Old February 28, 2010, 12:52 PM   #38
Hunter Customs

Good job Singlesix, I crack everyone of them I get a chance at.
In the last week I've shot four and I feel no remorse about doing so.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old March 1, 2010, 07:48 AM   #39
2damnold4this

You shouldn't feel any remorse about legally hunting and killing a coyote. The federal government sees coyotes as animals that need to be controlled and shooting them seems to me to be more humane than poisoning, a method the government uses. http://www.seattlepi.com/local/trap12.shtml

http://www.hcn.org/issues/174/5628

With shooting, you don't have to worry that an animal that wasn't targeted being accidentally poisoned in the trap and you don't have to worry that an animal that scavenges a dead coyote being poisoned.
Old March 1, 2010, 07:50 AM   #40
2damnold4this

leadcounsel wrote:
Quote:
72gator wrote:

Quote:
You are a thoughtless, repugnant pile of trash.... You aren't fit to own a gun. You have to be mentally ill. Take your meds,
Yikes...
Yeah, that was over the top.
Old March 1, 2010, 09:53 AM   #41
Hunter Customs

In Canada last year there was a 19 year old young lady that died after being mauled by two coyotes.
There's more attacks on humans from coyotes then most people realize.
By the way I just shot another one this morning running down a hedge row.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old March 1, 2010, 11:07 AM   #42
imacanuk

Quote:
leadcounsel wrote:

Quote:
72gator wrote:

Quote:
Yikes...

Yeah, that was over the top.
What was over the top was when LC came on to a HUNTING FORUM and started flaming the OP for legally, and ethically shooting a 'yote. It was TROLL behavior. He deserved each and every flame and insult that was shot at him. He should be banned. I'm with 72gator.
Old March 1, 2010, 11:09 AM   #43
imacanuk

SingleSix,
I enjoyed your story. Good work. When you get the pelt mounted I'd love to see a pic!
Old March 1, 2010, 11:39 AM   #44
2damnold4this

imacanuk wrote:
Quote:
What was over the top was when LC came on to a HUNTING FORUM and started flaming the OP for legally, and ethically shooting a 'yote. It was TROLL behavior. He deserved each and every flame and insult that was shot at him. He should be banned. I'm with 72gator.
There is no question that leadcouncil was trolling and insulting when he went after the OP but do we really need to go to the point where we toss insults back and forth?
Old March 1, 2010, 06:54 PM   #45
72gator

I still can't agree with the concept of animals being equal to people, but I digress. I am sorry for over-reacting. I value my beagle dogs(which are threatened by coyotes... constantly) and my privelege to hunt and own guns. It is worth noting, however, that this is a hunting forum, and all legal hunting actions or concepts should be shared here without harassment or judgement by our peers. My previous comments were a bit harsh, but I feel as passionately about my hunting heritage as this anti feels about saving the coyotes that hunt my hounds. Once again, I apologize to my hunting brethren that I may have offended. I will never apologize to the anti-hunting faction. That is all.

Joe
Old March 1, 2010, 07:08 PM   #46
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

72, Mighty noble of you...
Brent
Old March 1, 2010, 11:40 PM   #47
leadcounsel

72gator said
Quote:
I value my beagle dogs
Imagine if one of your dogs were loose and someone decided to shoot it because they felt it was a 'threat' - maybe to their cat or bird or flowerpatch... Imagine how PO'd you'd be at yourself, the dog getting loose, and the other person for shooting it. Maybe a beagle is a stretch, but what if you had a big dog that could be mistaken for a threat or a coyote... and someone blasted it for kicks.

Then maybe you can understand why it would upset someone else (aka me) when people justify shooting a coyote that's out minding its own business in the middle of some field.

As for being a troll, like I said before if you wanna tell a hunting story that involves some skill of a hunt, I'm all ears. While 'hunting' certainly can be 'sport only', I like to think of it as hunting for the sake of eating or using the animal. Effectively stepping off your back porch and capping a large dog a few hundred meters away with a bolt action rifle just ain't huntin' and ain't impressive...

Here's my "hunting" story: Dear diary. Today I was at the range. There was a gong 400 meters away. I shot it. It rang. That's all.

Last edited by leadcounsel; March 1, 2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old March 2, 2010, 12:31 AM   #48
shortwave

SingleSix, I`ve never hunted yotes but have shot a few while out -n-about. Some 10 or so years ago a friend of mine and I were coming home from a rather unproductive morning of turkey hunting. He`s driving and I looked across a field and probably 300yds out, on top of a roundbail, lay a nice yote sunning herself.

Stopped truck, got the bino`s out and noticed she had a pup running around playing. They didn`t know we were on the planet.

I got my 22-250 out from behind the seat, layed it across the hood and put the crosshairs on her. Her head was down and my buddy said he was going to whistle and if she raises her head take her. Worked like a charm.

The pup didn`t know what to do so it ran towards us and stopped about 150yds. out and looked back mom`s way just long enough for me to get a sight picture. I`ll say a 22-250 does a good job when hitting shoulder.

Also killed three in the backyard last early fall. Again, momma and two pups. All three the same night using a .22.

Since rabbit season just ended here in the great state of Ohio and there`s nothing else in season till Spring turkey. I`m going to try my hand at actually coyote hunting.

If its ok, I`ll be picking you fellow hunters brains a bit.
Old March 2, 2010, 05:19 AM   #49
damien1988

by deffintion the op did HUNT: to persue game for food or sport the op is a hunter : someone or somethink that kills for sport or food as i read the op the persued the yote. we dont have yotes in aus but we have wild dogs and beleave me u can tell the diffrance between someones pet and a wild dog
a pet doesnt try rip your throat out while you sleep and if it does it should be shot aswell in aus we have a hugew dog problame a me and a couple mates went out west spent one afretnoon chaseing mongrels and got 35 in 4 hours all mange skinny savage dogs i love dogs but wen they get like that they need the lead balancing

cheers damo
Old March 2, 2010, 06:51 AM   #50
teeroux

Quote:
Imagine if one of your dogs were loose and someone decided to shoot it because they felt it was a 'threat' - maybe to their cat or bird or flowerpatch... Imagine how PO'd you'd be at yourself, the dog getting loose, and the other person for shooting it. Maybe a beagle is a stretch, but what if you had a big dog that could be mistaken for a threat or a coyote... and someone blasted it for kicks.
I think your coments are ignorant to other folks situations and problems. Just because you do not have or understand someones problem with yotes or dogs doesn't mean they do not exist.

Even going along with your situation. It is still understandable to me someone would shoot my dog if it roamed loose. I knew a very young girl growing up that was mauled by someones pet, that supposedly was never mean to anyone. The dog had to be killed to stop the attack and the young girl was hospitalized and had to have major reconstructive surgery of her face.

Any animal that isn't yours can potentialy be a threat. IMO

Last edited by teeroux; March 2, 2010 at 05:21 PM.
Closed Thread