The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 21, 2010, 06:21 PM   #1
namlot1979

Saddle mount vs. drill/tap

I have an 870 express that i would like to mount a scope on and wanted some opinions on buying a saddlemount or having the receiver drilled and tapped. keep in mind I have no plans on ever selling this gun so any resale value issues are not of any concern to me. I am sure that having the drilled and tapped mounts are ideal but not sure if they are worth the additional investment. additional specs: gun has a 28" vent ribbed smooth barrel that I shoot rifled slugs through for deer hunting, if that helps to decide which set-up is better, thanks in advance
Old February 21, 2010, 07:06 PM   #2
zippy13

If you go with a saddle mount, then you'll always wonder if you'd have more accuracy if you'd anchored the sight to the barrel. On the other hand, if you wanted real accuracy then you wouldn't use a smooth bore 28-in barrel.

Jason, my friend, have you considered getting a slug barrel with a factory cantilever mount and keeping your 28-in vent rib barrel for birds and targets and your receiver unmarred by a saddle mount? Quite often there are slug barrel with scope package deals at significant savings.

Or, another option, how about a slug sight set that clamps to the barrel's vent rib (click here). For the accuracy of a smooth bore, do you really need a glass sight? And, if you go with a rifled slug barrel, then you're married to expensive sabot slugs. Decisions, decisions.

Good luck,
Pete
Old February 21, 2010, 07:41 PM   #3
namlot1979

Thanks for the reply Zip...i have a problem with focusing without a scope of some sort...I can either see my target or see the bead at the end of the barrel not both...even something as simple as a $25 reddot "scope" helps me greatly...where we hunt there is not many shots taken over 50 yards so I am not looking for long range accuracy...my basic problem is I am right handed but left eye dominate...gods little inside joke he played on me i suppose..However, I do like the ideal of having seperate barrels but then I consider that if I purchased a rifled barrel I would basically only be using it 9 days a year where with just having my current smooth barrel I can use it all year long...
Old February 21, 2010, 07:50 PM   #4
namlot1979

Zip, i checked out the sights you linked me to but they would not benefit me either, I would still have my focusing issues. I really need something that basically lays a mark "on" my target like a reddot does or even crosshairs of a scope. What I have found myself doing is looking at my bead with my right eye then closing it and looking at my target with my left. I have even tried shooting with both eyes open as has been suggested by a good friend who is a very experienced shooter and found that I cannot see either bead or target then
Old February 21, 2010, 08:39 PM   #5
zippy13

namlot1979

Last Friday, I tried one of those bottom dollar red-dot eBay sights on my old Ruger .22 pistol. The previous one had self-destructed after the first shot. I was pleasantly surprised, the sight held together, grouping was consistent and I'd spent less on the scope than my buddy did for a box of .45 ACPs.

I'm not advocating a bottom dollar red dot for your buck gun; but, for 50-yard work I think I'd be looking for a quick shooting glowing dot as opposed conventional cross hairs and magnification.