The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 17, 2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Firepower!

9mm choice: Sig P226 or HK P8?

Hi
My friend just sold his AMD65 and Ruger Security Six, since it wasnt to his liking, and that after buying it he figured out that the revolvers werent really his thing.

He has now choice to buy in 9mm either Sig226 or HK P8, which basically a HK USP. He has handled both, but he is split between the two.

If reliability under extreme conditions was the deciding factor, which would you pick?

Thanks
Old February 17, 2010, 02:10 AM   #2
Rayndeon

The P8 is significantly harder to find than the P226 - in the U.S anyway. Go with the P8. Both are excellent firearms, and I think both would be very reliable under adverse conditions. The P8 is used extensively by the German Kampfschwimmer (commando frogmen) even under seawater with excellent results. But, on the flip side, the Sig P228 and P226 have been used in various conditions by the U.S. Navy SEALs in harsh conditions just as well.

Still, bottom-line, the P8 is a LOT harder to get. I would go with that.
Old February 17, 2010, 02:37 AM   #3
Bauer

How you want a P8 over a standard USP? Is it a sure thing your friend can get it? From what I know there are minor differences. Am I missing something? I would love to know if I am... knowledge is power!
Old February 17, 2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Firepower!

Both pistols are in Pakistan's tribal market. Lots of stuff end up there. Usually VERY over priced.
Old February 17, 2010, 07:47 AM   #5
hoytinak

Years ago while our unit was crosstraining with some German Paratroopers we got a chance to qualify with their P8's and that's when I really fell in love with HK. As soon as I got back to the states I bought my first handgun, a HK USPc and it's still my favorite. As you've prolly read in a couple my other posts about my USPc it's now got just under 60K rounds through it and not one single malfunction....it's my "go to" handgun.

While I've owned a couple different Sig's I've gotten rid of all as they just don't fit my hands. However, I think either would serve him well. Just go with the one that fits better.
Old February 17, 2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Firepower!

Thanks
My friend ended up buying a Sig P226 West German made. He seems happy with it and thats what really counts.
Thank you all for your input.
Old February 19, 2010, 04:23 AM   #7
Firepower!

Correction.
My recieved his SigP226 today. It is not West German, but German model. Does that make any difference?

Tags
9mm , hk p8 , hk usp , sig p226