The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 15, 2010, 08:15 AM   #1
CRUE CAB

Taurus Raging Bull .480??

Have a shot at getting one. Any opinions or experience with one?
Old February 15, 2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Sevens

Experience? Zero. Just opinion. Some people don't like that... but it IS a discussion board, afterall...

The .480 Ruger is either a dead cartridge, or so far on life support that it would be a bad idea to purchase one. In that class, either a .500 Mag or a .460 Mag would be a better idea. And between those two, a .460 is a much better idea, IMO, because of the compatibility with .454 Casull and .45 Colt.

The .480 Ruger has compatibility with only itself and the .475 Linebaugh which is basically a wildcat cartridge. Unavailable.

If you reload, you don't even have the luxury of a common bullet diameter. It's an odd size. More difficult to find even slugs, let alone brass.

A .480 Ruger chambered Taurus? I can't, offhand, think of a worse buy, outside of one of the cheap pot metal clunkers.
Old February 15, 2010, 10:21 AM   #3
rodwhaincamo

7 has a point.
Old February 15, 2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Sarge

A friend with an FFL was trying to sell me a used, 5"(?) version of that gun a few years ago, which culminated in him sending me to "the dirtpile out back" with the .480 RB, a target, and hand-full of 405 grain hardcast reloads stoked with 'the full compliment' of H110 or 296.

Frankly, I liked this gun better than any Taurus I've ever shot. It was accurate, as in 'end of a beer can at 25 paces' accurate. It hit hard, tossing lots of dirt in the air when the slugs landed. The gun worked fine and the recoil management system worked exceptionally well. Recoil was less than 300 grain barn-burners from a 4" Model 29.

Downsides were the DA trigger, which would suffice for shoving it into a bear and cranking off rounds- but that's about it. SA trigger wasn't S&W grade, but it was shootable.

Almost wish I'd bought it now. Brass scan be had, bullet molds aren't that expensive and with the advent of liquid Alox, you don't have to buy all that sizing equipment anymore.
Old February 17, 2010, 07:59 PM   #5
Action_Can_Do

Keep in mind that what Sevens is saying about the 480 is what people were saying about the 41 magnum 35 years ago. It's still around and still has a fan base.
Old February 18, 2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Sevens

Yes, however... 35 years ago, there was no direct competitor to the .41 Magnum. And S&W was still chambering revolvers in it.

Does anyone currently build a .480 Ruger?

You could run out and buy a .22 Jet revolver, too, but don't hold your breath waiting for Hornady to build the latest high-tech ammo for it.
Old February 18, 2010, 09:00 PM   #7
ChiefMuzz

Quote:
Yes, however... 35 years ago, there was no direct competitor to the .41 Magnum. And S&W was still chambering revolvers in it.

Ruger, Taurus, and Magnum Research all currently make a revolver for it. Currently that is more than the two companies that make the 460 S&W.
Old February 18, 2010, 10:04 PM   #8
22-rimfire

Quote:
I have a scoped Ruger SRH. It is a handful to shoot and is my primary deer handgun or any big game I am ever likely to hunt. Ruger does not currently build them.

A dying caliber? Perhaps. I am a 41 mag fan just in case you might wonder. But as was mentioned, revolvers are still made in this caliber and who knows, Ruger may come back around. I have been pondering the purchase of a BFR in 475 Linebaugh/480 Ruger to compliment the SRH. I think Ruger made a big mistake dropping production of the SRH in 480 mag. It is their caliber afterall and they could continue to make a few runs per year and satisfy most of the current demand.

I personally like the caliber. If I buy the BFR, I'll probably shoot it mostly with 480's. Why do I need a 475? Only for the kick and fun of it, no other reason.

If you think you'll like the caliber and it fulfills your needs, I'd get a revolver in 480 Ruger. I can't comment on the Taurus from experience. I wouldn't worry too much about ammo. Buy enough ammo over the next year or so to keep supplied for a while and then if you reload, start loading the spent brass. Not many bullets? Well perhaps, but how many do you need. I need two and both are manufactured by Hornady 325 and 400 gr XTP. Some solids might be nice if I ever was in griz country, but it appears unlikely at this point unless I win the lottery.

Added: The 41 mag was introduced in 1964. It's direct competitor was the 44 magnum. The 44 Mag won which does not mean anything relative to how good the 41 mag is. Folks bought 44's after the Dirty Harry movie and shoot one box of shells through them... then put them away.

Most people who choose a 500 really only need the 480 and the same goes for the 454 Casull. Long range need? Perhaps, but I'd probably take a rifle or a Thompson if I am truly thinking more than 100 yd shots.

Life is too short to worry about 10 years from now.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; February 19, 2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old February 18, 2010, 10:08 PM   #9
laytonj1

Quote:
Ruger, Taurus, and Magnum Research all currently make a revolver for it. Currently that is more than the two companies that make the 460 S&W.
Ruger discontinued the 480 revolvers and the BFR (Magnum Research) is actually a 475 Linebaugh which can also shoot the shorter 480 cartridge.

Jim
Old February 18, 2010, 10:25 PM   #10
22-rimfire

There is also the Freedom Arms Model 83 chambered in 475 Linebaugh if you can afford it. Would love to own a couple.

Unfortunately, it is not what the OP asked for. I have not shot a Taurus in 480. I know about the caliber and the reviews in the gun mags seem fairly accurate relative to the caliber from my perspective.

I would have bought the Taurus Raging Bull over the Ruger if it was available at the time. The Super Redhawk is quite the tank however. Taurus recalled them for a while due to some problem and then they re-appeared on the shelves.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; February 18, 2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old February 18, 2010, 10:49 PM   #11
laytonj1

Quote:
If you reload, you don't even have the luxury of a common bullet diameter. It's an odd size. More difficult to find even slugs, let alone brass.
Hornady, Speer, Barnes, and Rainier offer jacketed bullets and Cast Performance, Oregon Trail, Hunters Supply, and a few others, offer lead bullets.
Hornady and Starline offer brass.

Jim
Old February 19, 2010, 12:05 AM   #12
Singlesix1954

I like my Taurus "480 Ruger". I'v taken 5 whitetail with it and trust it. I relaod and find 400 grn Hornady with 21grns of h110 to be a good T-Rex load. I'm planning a BlackBear Hunt in Montana spring of 2011 with it as my main hunting wepon. I do plan to buy a Ruger SRH in the same cal. Just a note Ruger still chambers the No. 1 in 480 Ruger. The 500 S&W and 460 S&W may over shadow the sales of this cal. but I'm not going to dump on it. I shoot it well and it don't hurt me. I will say I see a lot of folks rundown Taurus on the net but although this was my first it now is not my only one. I find them to be of first quality and accuracy as good as any Ruger, S&W, or Colt I own.
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old February 19, 2010, 05:59 AM   #13
ChiefMuzz

Quote:
Ruger discontinued the 480 revolvers and the BFR (Magnum Research) is actually a 475 Linebaugh which can also shoot the shorter 480 cartridge.

Jim
I wasn't aware Ruger DC'd the 480. Kinda sad since that is "their" cartridge. I've actually seen some BFR's stamped just ".480 Ruger" and not the normal ".475 Linebaugh/.480 Ruger" so I'm pretty sure they make one chambered for just the .480.
Old February 19, 2010, 07:54 AM   #14
GeauxTide

480 Ruger and 475 Linebaugh are specialty items interpreted as expensive and applicable to the largest game. Even if you load, components are hard to come by. Didn't see anyone mention the recoil of these monsters. I prefer to handle recoil felt to the buttocks in a shoulder fired piece, unless I lived or fished in the Alaska. Go to John Linebaugh's site to give you a visual. Take a step down to the 454 and you'll be able to shoot 45LC.
Old February 19, 2010, 09:05 AM   #15
22-rimfire

The 454 Casull actually kicks more than the 480 in the same revolver model. I personally have little desire to shoot an underpowered cartridge (aka 45LC) in say a 460 Smith just because I can. If I want a 45, I'll shoot it in a more appropriate revolver. What good does practicing with a 45LC do when you are going to shoot 454's or the 460 later? Oh... okay... plinking stuff.

The 480's have some kick to 'em. The 475 Linebaugh has more.

I'm no recoil junkie. I can only shoot around 10-15 rounds in 480 in my SRH before it is a total waste of time to shoot it for practice. I shoot other calibers first and then shoot the 480 Ruger. I'm done then for the day.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; February 19, 2010 at 09:18 AM.