The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 8, 2010, 10:47 PM   #1
SempFi

quick-detach scope mounts

I Would like a set on my hunting rifle so i could have the option of using iron sights if i felt like it or if the scope were damaged on a hunt. I have no experience with these so i have a few questions:

do they hold a zero?

good type or brand?

durability?

tip?
Old February 9, 2010, 08:23 AM   #2
Doyle

I use a Leupold QD set on my Rem Model 7. It will hold zero reasonably well, but I would not trust it to hunt with before re-zeroing. I bought it to be able to go to iron sights in the case of a damaged scope in the field. Going from scope to irons is OK. Going from irons to scope with out rechecking zero is asking a little much.
Old February 9, 2010, 08:36 AM   #3
KMO

Weaver Worked for Me

I just recently went down this same road, although my search for QD rings was for a Ruger Mark III .22LR pistol. I wanted to retain use of the cool factory fiber optic front sight, but I also wanted to mount a red dot sight on the pistol. I ended up with some QD rings offered by Weaver, the type with thumb screws. I've given it a try, and the pistol held zero just fine after removal & reinstall of the sight & rings as a single unit. A rifle is a different story, though. I did look at some nice lever-type steel QD rings offered by Warne. They were really top-notch, but too heavy for my pistol application. I wouldn't hesitate to try the Warne rings on a rifle. E. Arthur Brown had them in stock... http://www.eabco.com/Warne01.html You might also consider the see-through type rings...I've had good luck with those as well...
Old February 9, 2010, 09:02 AM   #4
AK103K

I've used a couple of different lever set ups made by ARMS with good results. They do require a Picatinny type base though.

I have a set of the Leupold OD lever rings on one rifle. They are really nothing more than a Weaver type set up, they just have a "lever" instead of a knurled knob. The lever is threaded and works just like the knob, and not like a true lever type ring/mount. As Doyle said, I wouldnt trust them to just pop them on and off and be on my merry way though. I'd want to confirm zero. With the ARMS and makers like LaRue, I wouldnt have a problem with it. All of those I've owned or used have performed very well in that respect.
Old February 9, 2010, 09:43 AM   #5
hagar

I like the old style genuine Weaver steel rings, they hold zero well, and are easy to remove and put back on. Don't buy aluminum, or weaver style, or imitation rings, get the real Weaver brand.
Old February 11, 2010, 03:39 AM   #6
bamaranger

I'm using Leupold.......

quick release levers on a Savage Scout rifle and IER scope.

I have been totally amazed at how the rifle comes back to zero after dismounting the 'scope. The last instance, it came back literally "on" the spot.
Usually though, its off by a tad, say an inch at 100, which would not cost me a deer at woods/whitetail ranges.

Further, I have a good friend who is an experienced and skilled long range/F-class (TR) shooter. He uses same rings on all his match rifles, which allows him to put his high dollar Leu or Nightforce scopes on different rifles as the event requires. The rails match and he swaps them easily. The zero or dope is different, but it sure saves cost. He claims that the scope "come back to a 9 (scoring ring), at worst". With unlimited sighters, he's on and shooting for record no slower than anybody else.
Old February 11, 2010, 03:59 PM   #7
JessicaR

QD mounts can hold zero, well within 1/2 MOA

Most QD mounts I've used and tested work well enough. 1/2 MOA group size variability is extreme and hard to attribute to the mount alone. Even the most consistent ammo can have 1/2 MOA variability in a vacuum. Environmental and user variables like wind, changing light condition, humidity and your blood sugar level can create more group size variability even if you had a permanent mount set-up. MOA by the way means minute of angle. 1 MOA = 1" @ 100 yds, 2" @ 200 yds, and so on.
Old February 13, 2010, 05:12 AM   #8
draggon

I have Warne, Talley and original Weaver. All work well and returned very closely to zero. My favourite is the Warne. When using any of these get good bases, preferably steel and by the same manufacturer if possible.

Last edited by draggon; February 13, 2010 at 05:14 AM. Reason: additional information
Old February 18, 2010, 05:27 AM   #9
Hedning

Ill give you an advice from the other side of the Atlantic. Im new here and live in Norway....Ivited here by Old Grump. That fine laddy from Wisconsin....

A dead on reliable quick mount is the EAW mount. I use this mount on my Rem 375 H&H. When hunting moose in heavy bush and forrest, you dont want to have a scope on it. If you get into an opening, and want to use your scope, just swing it back on....It takes like 1 sec to get the scope off, and 1 sec back on. Your zero does not change.

I dont use the iron sights on that Remington. I made special bracket for a Docter red dot sight fitting the EAW mounts. Just put it in my pocket when the Docter scope is on the rifle. And vice versa.....

Downside is that they are a little pricy, but I belive they are wourth it. That said, I barely use the scope. I find that small Docter red dot so good I even use it at long range hunting.
Old February 18, 2010, 03:53 PM   #10
mr.matt

Tried some Leupold QWR - they seem fine but I didn't want them on my target rifle so I took them back.
Old February 18, 2010, 06:55 PM   #11
James R. Burke

I got to admit I never tryed them, but I just dont trust them holding a zero. or at least having to try it to make sure its on. Also I never thought that big of a need for them. But thats just me, and I am sure there are many good points for having them.
Old February 26, 2010, 05:43 PM   #12
ForneyRider

I have 2 sets of the Burris QD rings. I've been within a click after reattaching them. Usually, it's the windage that is off. I got them for my Parker Hale 7mm Mag which has sights as well.