The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 7, 2010, 01:32 AM   #1
kimden85

Remington Model 11

I am looking to buy a Remington Model 11 12 guage. I understand by reading this forum and others that you are not supposed to shoot steel loads in them. Am I understanding correctly? If no steel loads then what type of shot is there that I am to use?
Old February 7, 2010, 03:34 AM   #2
Scorch

You can shoot lead shot, tungsyen-polymer-matrix shot, or bismuth. For a shotgun that has not been manufactured for over 60 years, you gotta be nice to it.
Old February 7, 2010, 08:09 AM   #3
apr1775

General rule: if a shotgun was made before steel shot became the norm for water fowl, don't shoot steel shot in it.
Old February 7, 2010, 10:47 AM   #4
zippy13

Greetings kimden85, and welcome aboard.
Quote:
I am looking to buy a Remington Model 11 12 ga...
Why?
Are you about to inherit a family gun, or has someone made you an irresistible offer?
If you want it as a collectable that's one thing. But, if you're looking for a shooter, a lot of other shotguns come to mind before the Model 11.
Old February 7, 2010, 09:21 PM   #5
DG45

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your sensible desire to purchase a Remington Model 11, a largely hand-fitted shotgun which would probably cost at least $2,500 per copy new today if it was still manufactured in the USA with the same materials, and to the same specs, and with the same hand-fitting that went into the guns that were made before 1948. Remington Model 11s can be purchased for incredibly low prices these days yet they are still rank among the finest and most reliable production shotguns ever made, and to this day they are still among the fastest-operating automatic shotguns. (Some mega-buck guns are faster, but those faster speeds are measured in terms of a few hundredths of seconds.) The steel parts hardly ever fail, and if they do, there are still a few places where you can buy parts so these guns should still be going strong when the plastic parts used in modern production guns have long since given up the ghost.

In my state I can use lead shot for everything but waterfowl. For waterfowl there are several options including tungsen.

One thing you should pay attention to is what length barrel you want and what kind of choke you want (unless you buy a gun that is already polychoked or put one on after you purchase.(Uggh! what an abomination to put on a classic old gun.) I have a 26" Improved Cylinder barrel and find it ok for most hunting, but I don't do a lot of goose or turkey hunting. If I did, I may have preferred a 28" or 30" full-choked barrel.
Old February 8, 2010, 01:02 AM   #6
mxsailor803

some pple say be nice a 60+ year old gun but, lets remember that 60+ years ago many pple used their guns as a way of life and have been beat and hammered on for most of there time. and since the model 11 is based off the belgium browning a5, which who knows how many of those have been produced, it is a VERY reliable piece that is capable of lasting another 60+ years with proper maintence and shot selection. if it was up to me, i would not use steel shot for the simple fact there are too many other options out there to risk damaging a piece of history.

Tags
model 11 , remington , type of loads