The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 16, 2010, 05:47 PM   #1
45Gunner

Pistol packing partners go crazy with ar-15's

Did I get your attention? My business partner and I are pistol aficionados, he being a wheel gun guy and I have an addiction to the .45ACP, namely the 1911 platform. We are professional gun Instructors, teaching various methods of handgun defense.

Today, for the first time since we have known each other, we met at an outdoor range for some AR-15 practice. I have a Bushmaster Carbine with a Trijicon ACOG scope and he had something else, another brand...not important to the discussion.

We had so much fun that we each blew off a 1000 rounds of ammo apiece. I haven't shot my AR in almost a year and my buddy says it was about the same amount of time for him.
(1.) I got to wondering, just as a matter of curiosity if you guys with AR's go hog wild as we did?

(2.) How often do you shot your AR?

(3.) Are you primarily a rifleman or are you a pistol guy that shoots rifles occasionally?
NRA Life Member
Old January 16, 2010, 06:01 PM   #2
jjyergler

Interesting question.

By profession (former army infantry) and genetics (arkansas farmboy) I am a rifleman, but I do most of my rangetime with a pistol. While in the army, we shot the M9 once, and I've never hunted with a handgun.
Hi Standard Supermatic Citation .22LR - Tincans Beware
Old January 16, 2010, 06:09 PM   #3
shooter_john

Most of all I like laying behind heavy barreled bolt guns. Second choice would be the AR's, and then pistols. I've been shooting rifles since I was 5, and my Dad has never been a pistol guy, so we just never shot pistols too much while I was growing up. With all of that said, I'm not half bad with a pistol I just shoot rifles more when I'm shooting for recreation.
Old January 16, 2010, 06:11 PM   #4
ProjectCamaro

I don't get to shoot my AR's or AK's that often, ammo just costs to much so I normally shoot pistols and most of the pistols I shoot are in 9mm. I'd rather shoot that quite a bit over a larger caliber almost not at all.
Old January 16, 2010, 06:13 PM   #5
Microgunner

My preferences are shotgunning first, rifles second and lastly handguns. I don't think I've ever fired 1000 rnds of anything in one session. You guys know how to have fun. Keep them barrels smoking.
Old January 16, 2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Willie Lowman

I have a few friends with AR15s. We usually shoot between 60 to 120 rounds each. A few times per year we will shoot 200-300 rounds each. We used to always shoot 200 rounds just about every weekend but that was back when 5.56 was $3 a box.
Old January 16, 2010, 06:35 PM   #7
farmer-dave

Have you ever thought of buying a 22 conversion kit for you ar. It will save you a ton of money and still provide good practice.
Old January 16, 2010, 08:03 PM   #8
DMK

Quote:
We had so much fun that we each blew off a 1000 rounds of ammo apiece. ... I got to wondering, just as a matter of curiosity if you guys with AR's go hog wild as we did?
Wow, 2k of ammo in one range trip? I usually shoot around 200-300 rounds and I thought that the occasional 500 round day was a lot.

Since I have a CCW, I feel I should practice with my handguns more than I do (and try to bring both rifles and handguns on every range trip), but I do enjoy shooting my AR15s more. I just love those rifles. Light weight, low recoil, good sights, good ergonomics and good accuracy. They just feel right to me. I even converted one AR upper to 7.62x39 and another to 22LR to allow the same fun in different calibers. One day I'll get a .308 too.
Old January 16, 2010, 09:34 PM   #9
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Wow, 2k of ammo in one range trip?
It makes my thumbs sore to think about loading that many mags.

The most I have ever shot in one outing was 650 rounds and that was with a FA Uzi. I prefer to shoot smaller amounts of ammo through several guns. 50 in my .357, 100 in my .40, 120 in my AR15, etc.

The OP asked about being a pistol or rifle guy. I wouldn't say I am either. I shoot handguns much more than I shoot rifles currently. I used to shoot rifles much more often than I shot handguns. I have discovered a sporting clays place a few miles away from my house (pleasant surprise) so I think I will be shooting shotguns much more in 2010