The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 13, 2010, 12:29 PM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: January 21, 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 189
Question about SBR's

So I was wondering,
When you fill out the ATF form 1 paperwork for an SBR that you're making from an AR lower, it includes all the details about the rifle including caliber and barrel.

Does this mean you can't switch out the uppers?
Like say I had a 10.5" .458 socom upper and a 14.5" 5.56 upper. Putting either one on there keeps the rifle an SBR, but the specs have changed and may differ from paperwork.

Does switching them out cause some kind of a legal headache?
beardenbc is offline  
Old January 14, 2010, 11:08 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: October 26, 2000
Posts: 153
Yes they require this information, you can change the configuration on a temporary basis. They ask that you notify them in writing if the change is permanent.
rkba_net is offline  
Old January 15, 2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Willie Lowman
Senior Member
Join Date: March 5, 2009
Location: Uh-Hi-O
Posts: 2,590
Just keep an upper that will put the gun to the length/caliber stated on the form 1.

As long as you can readily return the gun to it's configuration stated on the form there is no need for more paperwork.
Willie Lowman is offline  
Old January 15, 2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: January 31, 2000
Location: Live Free or Die, Baby!
Posts: 1,429
I have seen examples of Form 4s where the person put <16" for barrel length, and they were approved. I saw others where they wanted a specific length on the Form.

I guess it depends on which examiner you happen to get, and whether they're having a good day. I'd put down a specific length to be safe.
Chipperman is offline  
Old January 15, 2010, 03:40 PM   #5
Join Date: December 19, 2009
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 39
I've seen the same with caliber changes as well. People put down .223 but will shoot .22 or 9mm for example out of a .223 registered long as it isn't perm. you are good. Even if you want to make it a permanent change, you can do that without having to pay another 200 bucks.
richmondtx is offline  
Old January 16, 2010, 01:11 AM   #6
Sasquatch in MN
Join Date: January 21, 2009
Posts: 93
Sage Advice

I had a similar I called the NFA branch and asked.

Their answer was that I needed to send them, in writing, a letter of intent to use different caliber and length uppers on my registered SBR.

Once they provide an acknowledgement of receipt of this letter of intent, youre good to go.

I had to call them several weeks after I sent it in and ask for their acknowledgement.

ALWAYS remember, when in doubt, call the ATF. They are not the boogey man that some make them out to be and my experiences with them have all been positive.

Making the world a better place, one rifle at a time. Visit us online at
Sasquatch in MN is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2017 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.06049 seconds with 7 queries