The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 22, 2010, 04:07 PM   #26
hazman

for home defense???... they all kill,use a decent "low budget" weapon in case you ever have to use it . after the fact, you will most likely be old or dead before your weapon is returned , that is if you are found in the "right". good-luck.
Old January 22, 2010, 04:26 PM   #27
KingEdward

if you are near an Academy Sports, you may get a deal.

I went there about a month back and didn't see any mossberg 20 gauges
on display.

I have one (youth bantam turkey camo with tru glo sights) but wanted another one in different configuration.

I asked and he brought out a nice one new in the box with wood grain forearm/stock for $231.95.

Pretty good deal for a brand new shotgun.
Old January 22, 2010, 04:40 PM   #28
Uncle Ben

I recently purchased a new Mossberg 500 combo (synthetic stock), which came with a 28" vent rib barrel (great for clays/hunting) and an 18 1/2" barrel (great for home defense). It was $289, which is a great price for such a versitile long gun.

I know that is $100 more than the one you were looking at on Bud's, but it would be worth it...but buying used might be a good option for you also if you can't swing the extra $100
Old January 22, 2010, 05:04 PM   #29
hazman

shotgun

google mossberg #50521 , heavy barrel, parkerized , inexpensive... get your best price... cut or have cut two inches off ... put it under your pillow... sweeeeet dreeeams my brother, from another mother !!!. "KEEP IT CLEAN , KEEP IT LOADED , KEEP IT LOCKED TILL NEEDED ".
Old February 7, 2010, 04:56 PM   #30
OldFool

There is a reason why virtually all law enforcement agencies use the Remington 870 ---RELIABILITY.

Foreign shotguns are generally crap, especially chinese, russian, turkish, etc.
Old February 7, 2010, 05:10 PM   #31
KevinBeyerJr

Remington 870

Actually, Popular Mechanics did an issue in October 2009 (I am studying to be an engineer), and they stated that the Remington 870 can last forever, as well as a handful of other things (not weapons, and needless to say they are all American made).

“Harry S. Truman was president when the 870 was born. Since then, millions of the no-fuss pump guns have been purchased to hunt everything from doves to deer. A little light oil on the breech bolt and a good scrubbing with No. 9 solvent are all it takes to make this smooth slider last for generations.”

That peaked my interest, and is on my shopping list.
Old February 14, 2010, 07:49 AM   #32
tango1niner

Ithaca 37 pump. Solid top receiver (keeps the falling plaster, wood splinters and body parts out of the action) and bottom ejection. Solid steel receiver, not aluminum or sheet metal. Ithaca 37
Old February 14, 2010, 08:06 AM   #33
Logs

Hard to beat a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 since there are all kinds of add ons out there.

Yesterday I saw a Benelli Nove defense set up that was awesome. All Black, Pistol Grip, iron sites up front and ghost ring in the back with two dots, best fixed site set up I have seen for $369.99 at Keenes Depot in Bardstown, Ky

He sells many guns on Gunbroker under the handle KYGUNCO.

Good luck.
Old February 14, 2010, 11:35 AM   #34
lambertsteeth

Lots of info in the previous replies. I agree that I would stay away from the cheap imports, buy something that has alot of aftermarket goodies available, I see little value in ghostring or rifle sights, 870 or Mossy are very good options.
Another suggestion I would make is to actually handle the shotguns before you make a decision. Not necessarily shoot them (if you can, even better), but take some time and throw the gun up to your shoulder. Try to get a rough idea if the gun "fits" you.
I do this by closing my eyes(in a safe direction) bring the gun to my shoulder, as I would if actually taking a shot. When I open my eyes, I want to be looking straight down the barrel, without seeing the top of the barrel, seeing the bead. If I see alot of the top of the barrel, it does not fit me well. I do this numerous times. I wanna see the same sight picture consistently.
I bring this up because buying on the internet is great, if you do your research and know what fits you well.
If you buy a gun that does not fit you, YOU WILL HAVE TROUBLE SHOOTING IT WELL, no matter how often you practice.
Old February 14, 2010, 12:19 PM   #35
jmortimer

+1 for the $200.00 H&R Pardner or Hawk 982. Either one is rock solid and worth every penny. The Hawk has nice Ghost Ring Sights standard and all the Pardners are drilled and tapped. I'm putting a Red Dot on my Pardner. Remington is doing us a big favor by importing the Pardner.
Old February 14, 2010, 03:19 PM   #36
GunsAreGood

You can never go wrong with a Remington 870. I bought one a couple years back and was so impressed that i bought another. Its a strong reliable and very reasonably priced gun. A lot of people will say the same about the Mossberg 500 and 590 and they would not be lieing, but it is all preference. The 870's receiver is milled from a solid piece of steel unlike the Mossberg. I for one like the feel of a little bit heavier gun when it comes to shotguns. The Mossberg's just feel so light and toy like to me. Hope i could help.
Old February 14, 2010, 03:41 PM   #37
jmortimer

Well you sure can go wrong with an 870 Express which has a reputation as a "Jam-O-Matic" - just do a simple search on the web and you will find many complaints about current production 870 Express including, I believe on this Forum as well. Not so with the Remington/Marlin/H&R Pardner which is reliable out of the box. It is made exactly the same way with as much or more steel. If you get an 870 get the Wingmaster for sure. The Wingmaster has a well deserved reputation for excellence. Between the Remington Express and the "Remington" Pardner which is a clone of the 870 all parts are interchangeable - Do yourself a favor and get the Pardner and use the money you save for a bunch of shotshells.
Old February 15, 2010, 08:49 AM   #38
markman

Another Mossy 500 vote. I've had mine for 30 + yrs.
Old February 15, 2010, 09:46 AM   #39
longlane

Stoeger?

I found a great Stoeger M-2000 (semi-auto) used for $375. It's the same as the Benelli (model number escapes me). I know folks with the nearly identical Benelli, and the parts are pretty much interchangeable. That said, I also have an 870 and a 500. The 870 feels more rugged and weighty; the 500 feels lighter and a little less rugged. Both are great guns honestly.

They are all great guns, but, in your situation, I'd go with the 870 or 500. You'll probably find a better deal on a 500--unless the world of semi-autos begins to fascinate (I caught the fever while dove hunting)...
Old February 15, 2010, 10:09 AM   #40
azsixshooter

Remington 870

I have had mine for a long time. It has always given me yeoman's service. I love her.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old February 17, 2010, 09:27 PM   #41
tbird412s

My vote is for the Benelli Nova. I have a few shotguns, a couple that are significantly more expensive, but the benelli is the one I take out in the field. It is predictable and dependable yet not so expensive that I'm afraid to use it!!
Old February 17, 2010, 11:00 PM   #42
Scubasimmons

I have an 870 from about 30 years ago. I'm not a huge fan, but it is my back-up fowl gun.

It has a very rough action that I just haven't spent the time to polish down.
Old February 18, 2010, 07:11 PM   #43
James R. Burke

I like ONEONCELOADS suggestions. You can get a nice used 870 rem pump, and get that extra barrel. Being used probalby alittle better workmanship. Maybe not but no doubt worth looking into.
Old February 18, 2010, 07:24 PM   #44
gforthman

Recommend Me a Shotgun

Rem 870 Express Tactical Home Defense
Old February 18, 2010, 09:59 PM   #45
richiep

Hey I have a citori xt trap that i shoot trap with but if you are on a lower budget there are still many people that use old winchester model 12s. They are really solid guns. I am also really fond of reminton's model 870. I know several people that use them and they seem to be tuff guns. I am pretty sure most police stations issue them as well but I am not really sure about that. Good luck
Old February 19, 2010, 05:10 PM   #46
figment

nutnfancy has some very good videos on youtube covering the three popular combat shot guns. highly recommend them.
Old February 19, 2010, 11:16 PM   #47
billfrombyron

I have a Rem 870 and a Benelli Super Nova Tactical that I picked up last year. The Rem 870 express combo with slug barrel is a great buy. The benelli for me and home defense was a fantastic choice!

I got the benelli for under 325ish out the door If I remember correctly.

They are both great shotguns and you can't go wrong with either of them. Im not a mossberg fan personally. It has nothing to do with their reliability, durability, or quality its just my preference as I grew up shooting a Rem 870 and a Winchester 97.

-Bill