The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 30, 2009, 11:12 PM   #1
Join Date: December 14, 2009
Posts: 52
need help finding foregrip

the gun is a kel tec plr 16. a guy on gunbrokers has a plr with a laser foregrip and it says only legal foregrip. does anyone know what its called or were to find it
sleeper614 is offline  
Old December 31, 2009, 12:52 AM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: July 1, 2009
Posts: 542
This has "AOW" written all over it.
LukeA is offline  
Old December 31, 2009, 09:23 AM   #3
Join Date: December 14, 2009
Posts: 52
sleeper614 is offline  
Old December 31, 2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Join Date: December 14, 2009
Posts: 52
nevermind. class3. the guy says its legal
sleeper614 is offline  
Old December 31, 2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: March 11, 2000
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 15,982
LukeA is correct: adding a VFG to the Kel-Tec would be manufacturing an "Any Other Weapon"

See the FAQ at
ATF has made the decision that a handgun (but not a machine gun,
since a machine gun is not also an AOW) with more than one hand
grip at an angle tot eh bore is an AOW. This is based on the gun
a) being concealable on the person, and b) not meeting the
definition of a "pistol" in the regulations promulgated under the
NFA, since they say a pistol has a single grip at an angle to the
bore. However, at least one federal magistrate has decided that if
the grip is added later, the gun is not "originally designed" to be
fired by holding in more than one grip, and thus putting a second
grip on a pistol does not make it an AOW. ATF does not regard the
decision as binding. The case is U.S. v. Davis, Crim No. 8:93-106
(D.S.C. 1993) (Report of Magistrate, June 21, 1993). The
prosecution was dismissed at the request of the Government before
any review of that determination by the trial judge.
2% Unobtainium, 98% Hypetanium.
The Arms Room: An Online Museum.
Tamara is offline  
Old January 4, 2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Junior member
Join Date: November 9, 1999
Location: SE Texas, 'tween Houston & Galveston
Posts: 157
the guy says its legal
If "the guy" has it on a Form1 or Form4, he can transfer the entire firearm to you for a $5.00 tax stamp.

This does not include the cost of the gun, transfer fees, shipping, etc.

I wouldn't recommend buying just the foregrip, without the required

Keep in mind that the tax for manufacture of an AOW is $200.
The $5.00 tax is for subsequent transfers.
It makes more sense to go the SBR route, IMO.
Good luck,
paull is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2017 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.05379 seconds with 7 queries