The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old December 30, 2009, 10:12 AM   #1
jclayto

Noob.. can you help?

I think I am going to give casting a try. I am still undecided as if I want to start casting, so I am trying to do an inexpensive trial run. Can I make something work with what I have on hand?

I currently have:

Heat Source
Enamel coated cast iron pot for melting
Ladle
Good source of Led
Lee 2 bullet 125 RNFP mold .358
Metal Spoon
Lee Alox Lube

After reading the 101 section it looks as if most people make ingots and then melt ingot for bullets. It is possible to skip this for the first batch or so just to determine if casting it for me? I ask this because i did not purchase a ingot mold.

I also did not buy a sizing die, which I think might be the really important thing I missed. Is sizing absolutely necessary or it is something just to insure best accuracy? The sizing dies arent that expensive, I just need to wait until i am putting together another midway order to make it worthwhile.
Old December 30, 2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Magnum Mike

You do not need ingot molds. I use a muffin tin. Dont know about the sizing because I use one.
Old December 30, 2009, 10:59 AM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Yes, you can smelt your lead in your pot, flux it, skim the goober off the top, and cast. A lot of guys do it this way, but most guys have a seperate smelting pot that keeps the dirt from the lead wheelweights out of the casting pot. Dirt in casting pots, especially bottom pour pots, can be a real pain in the butt. Give it a shot with what you got...be sure to cover all exposed skin and wear eye protection. Good luck!

Ohh, as far as the sizing die, you need to slug your bore and see what diameter you bore is. Generally, cast boolits need to be 1-2 thousandths over GROOVE diameter. After casting some bullets, check their diameter and see if sizing is necessary. You may be able to shoot them"as cast".

PS: Lee molds must be really clean and they like to be run H-O-T!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~

Last edited by IllinoisCoyoteHunter; December 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM. Reason: huked on fonix wurked fur me.
Old December 30, 2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Ifishsum

As was mentioned, the main reason for smelting into ingots first is to keep your casting pot nice and clean. I use an aluminum muffin pan for ingots.

So far I have not found it necessary to resize any of the pistol boolits I've made (I use Lee molds as well) . If you do need to, the Lee push through sizers are inexpensive.

Clean your molds very thoroughly with mineral spirits and lightly smoke them as per the instructions. Preheat them in your melt before casting and don't be surprised when it takes you a few dozen pours before you get the hang of it.
Old December 30, 2009, 09:22 PM   #5
GP100man

Pots

Ifishsum

The enamel may pop off ya pan at lead melt temps any steel or stainless pan will do .

Yes ya can smelt & cast in the same pot but flux & stir good to clean ya melt up good.It`s just a pain to stop & add raw lead when ya could have a nice clean ingot warmin.

BE safe , Have fun !!!
Old January 1, 2010, 12:19 PM   #6
johnjohn

I'm from the school of one pot for smelting, one for casting. Keeping your casting pot clean saves a lot of headachs. I've done it both ways.